slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboards: Carbon Vs Wood

Postby slim_charles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 am

DWX wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 pm
Actually Carbon vs Wood is correct; full carbon boards are 100% fortified, though they all have a wooden core, whereas wood boards are just wrapped, mostly partially; in the end no manufacturer will share their secret, but you know the difference when you feel it: wood is heavy, bendable & sturdy, carbon light, stiff, and if not done right breakable; but if done right, carbon is unbeatable.
complete nonsense as usual :)

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:36 am

slim_charles wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 am
DWX wrote:
Actually Carbon vs Wood is correct; full carbon boards are 100% fortified, though they all have a wooden core, whereas wood boards are just wrapped, mostly partially; in the end no manufacturer will share their secret, but you know the difference when you feel it: wood is heavy, bendable & sturdy, carbon light, stiff, and if not done right breakable; but if done right, carbon is unbeatable.
I leave that right there... because it’s so helpful...

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 am

DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:36 am
slim_charles wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 am
DWX wrote:
I leave that right there... because it’s so helpful...
Its already been explained why it's an odd comparison. Most of what you wrote contradicts that and doesn't really make much sense.

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:54 am

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 pm
MrWolf wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:32 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:44 pm
These MAC Kiteboarding people make too many videos. Agree that it’s a strange comparison.
Can't hate on free content. :thumb: I dig MacKite for taking time to make these 10 minute videos kinda treat it as a podcast sometimes rather than watching them just to keep up to speed on brands or models I probably will never see at my local shop.
I’m “hating”? I had no idea.
I took your "These Mac Kiteboarding people make too many videos." as a complaint that this free content was upsetting to you.
Maybe I should have said "Can't be upset over free content." as you feel Hate is such a strong word.
Otherwise, you would have said "These Mac Kiteboarding people make a lot of videos, woohoo!!" :thumb:

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:47 am

DWX wrote:
Actually Carbon vs Wood is correct; full carbon boards are 100% fortified,
Really? :roll: With thiamine, niacin, iron, and part of this complete breakfast? I'd really hate to have to slap a glass of OJ, a bowl of oatmeal, eggs and bacon to have a complete board. :lol:

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 am

I have had both carbon and standard construction boards in recent years and over the last 18yrs of kiteboarding.

I strongly believe it is a marketing trend over performance.

Regards characteristics, you can make a flexible carbon board and a stiff wooden board.

Yes the material is more expensive, not relatively so compared to the high price they charge. Mention carbon and people believe they are getting the strongest and the best.

I have seen many broken carbon boards, the marketing hype of strength and durability is comparably unfounded.

A ding on your board is an unfortunate reality. If you ding a carbon it can spell trouble for the future of the board, even when repaired. I would say less so on a wood.

Would you buy a repaired carbon board? I wouldn't!

Would you buy a repaired wood board? I would.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I’ve actually chatted about this with board shapers in Brazil, California (before they left for Australia bc California taxes the shit out of them) and in Germany. I also talked to a carbon manufacturer in Germany and he explained carbon is in nearly every top quality product these days. So take your condescending crap elsewhere... Board shapers agree carbon is by far superior material, but it is expensive. It may also be healthier for the shapers, but not enough studies on that.

That said, if you prefer flex just a carbon wrap (not full carbon) is what you want. It’s a preference, like I said, but in all cases the use of carbon makes a superior product. Wood boards are just that, mainly coated wood; carbon boards use minimal amt of wood & take their properties from the carbon, which makes them stiff (my preference), not from the wood, which is also better for the trees!

But I’m sure there are more technically savvy guys out there who can go into detail. This is all I care to know as consumer, how it feels & performs.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:07 pm

DWX I hope you are referring to Bushflr's post?

slim_charles
Frequent Poster

Postby slim_charles » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 pm

DWX wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:15 pm

That said, if you prefer flex just a carbon wrap (not full carbon) is what you want. It’s a preference, like I said, but in all cases the use of carbon makes a superior product. Wood boards are just that, mainly coated wood; carbon boards use minimal amt of wood & take their properties from the carbon, which makes them stiff (my preference), not from the wood, which is also better for the trees!
:lol: nope... more bullshit. Keep trying though, it's amusing. See the post above yours, had some good points.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:14 pm

DWX wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:15 pm
That said, if you prefer flex just a carbon wrap (not full carbon) is what you want.
Could you explain the difference between "carbon wrap" and "full carbon"?

Return to “Kitesurfing”