Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any kiters here saved the lives of swimmers?

forum for kitesurfers

Kitemanmuc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil
Gear: Kitech, Eleveight, RideEngine, Carved, Moses

Any kiters here saved the lives of swimmers?

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:47 am

I am working on a campaign at the moment that tells the story of kiteboarding in a positive light.
All to often are we cast as the outlaws on the beach, crashing kites and scaring beach-goers. Little is said about the lives that kiteboarders have saved over the years. We love when the wind picks up and these conditions can be dangerous for swimmers or paddlers and also hard for lifeguards to face.

Anyone in here with a short story about how they have saved or helped save lived while kiteboarding would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Re: Any kiters here saved the lives of swimmers?

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:49 am

While kiting.. 2 .. a 26 year old and an 8 year old. While surfing.... 10+!

Check the bottom half of this database for saved swimmers.

Proactive, open source database. By the kitesurfing ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view?pli=1

1... Heard screaming about 1.5km out to sea from estuary, didn't believe what I was hearing at first but then went back for another look and someone had been sucked out by tide at estuary. Dragged them in slowly so as not to snap lines! They we're very happy to see me!

2.. estaury .. kid playing and jumps in most dangerous part.. sucked out Immediately. Grabbed them and dragged em back to shore. Very fast current.. so fast you could ride powered in 12 knots on a 12m!

DWX
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DWX » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Not swimmers but my husband has saved the lives of fellow kiters multiple times; last incedent was in Paracuru; a girl was drowning in the wave, kite down, scrunched in a bow; he towed her to shore, but ate it himself a few times before they were out of the danger zone; two years ago he unhooked and unwrapped a beginner who had been dragged unconscious through the parking lot and called the ambulance; had he waited a few minutes longer, the victim would have ended up quadriplegic; a few years back he towed an unconscious kiter back to shore; he had lost his finger in 35+ Knots - cut by the lines, and had bled unconscious... that’s just the most recent saves...

Be safe everyone! Don’t overestimate yourselves & never panic! Help is likely around. If you can, help others in need!

I regret that I’m not advanced enough to help others, but it motivates me to get better. I was myself saved by a 14 year old in the wave once. Forever thankful! Selfless acts of rescue are the most miraculous manifestations of love! Can’t praise them enough!

Big Thanks to all who have the ability to help & rescue others! It’s the best thing you’ll ever do!

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:47 am
I am working on a campaign at the moment that tells the story of kiteboarding in a positive light.
All to often are we cast as the outlaws on the beach, crashing kites and scaring beach-goers. Little is said about the lives that kiteboarders have saved over the years. We love when the wind picks up and these conditions can be dangerous for swimmers or paddlers and also hard for lifeguards to face.

Anyone in here with a short story about how they have saved or helped save lived while kiteboarding would really be appreciated!

Thanks!
First off, this isn't a swimmer rescue, but a windsurfer rescue. This has to be 5 or 6 years ago... Virginia Key, FL in Miami (the launched was banned to kiting about 10 years ago). There is a cut just south of the launch and when the tide is outgoing and the wind is easterly it makes a small wave setup at a sandbar about 1/2 mile directly out from shore. I launch to the south (Crandon Park) and grind upwind about 1.5 miles to ride in this spot. The windsurfers still have access at Virginia Key.

I don't even know the person's name that I rescued, but here is the story. It was a "cold" winter day in Miami with strong easterly frontal winds and I grinded upwind in 20+ knots from the south and just as I arrived to the wave line in the middle of the cut, I notice a guy swimming in the surf just near a windsurfing board and separated rig - it's a good 3/4 of a mile from land. I approached him and asked if I could help and he waved me off. He told me he was going to try to rescue his rig, which I knew was going to be impossible. So, I stayed close and really didn't get much "kiting" in while I kept an eye on him.

The current was moving fast enough that this guy couldn't stay inside the waves paddling his windsurfing board even though the wind was at his back. He finally gave up his rig as the mast filled with water and it eventually sunk (say 15 minutes). He would paddle, paddle, paddle the board, then give up, drift back into the waves, catch a small one or get tumbled and start all over again. He refused my help twice, but I stayed nearby. Finally, I could see he was giving up. I insisted to drag him to the beach; he was totally done. It took 45 minutes to pull him to shallow water while he was laying on his windsurf board as I pulled him by my leash (which several times he let go and the clip end smacked and bruised me up good). I wasn't sure if he would be able to hold on, but he did. I couldn't get him to hold on and try planing when I first started the rescue, so I had to ditch my surfboard to do this and body drag the entire distance. Once I got him to the shallow water where he could stand, he looked at me and told me I saved his life. Nobody at the beach knew this person and to my knowledge he never came back. I immediately went downwind, landed the kite and went home exhausted. He had broken his tendon joint on the mast base in the rough conditions. From the looks of the gear when I arrived on the scene, the gear looked like it sat a lot in a garage and maybe gets one or two uses a season.

For anyone that windsurfs, spend the $100 annually and buy a new powerbase. I have helped 2 other windsurfers in the same area get rescued. For one of the rescues, I raced over to a jet ski and insisted that they come grab the guy, who had lost his board and was floating only with his rig. I dragged his rig to the beach by my leash (great workout by the way - I had to immediate exit the water and go home to recuperate on the couch). In the latest instance (last winter), I helped get a rescue from the lifeguard jetski after a guy windsurfing also separated his board and rig. The powerbase also broke. After ditching his board on the beach, he convinced the lifeguard jetski to take him back out to the surf and I located his rig and helped them also rescue that.

I've definitely put in my community service time at Virginia Key and it totally sucks that we are banned to kite there. As a matter of fact, the person that got the spot banned was a firefighter from Delray Beach, FL. So a visitor screwed us over in Miami - what a shame.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Nice story!

Just realized the first p-ph of my response disappeared.

Anyway, I was saying that I’m skeptical you’ll convince people who hate us to like us more with a rescue story. Haters will hate.... Ppl who hate us tend to hate all water sports, so you won’t warm them up with that. Just accept the fact that ppl do terrible things to each other & still be ready to help when needed!

But I find stories about rescues interesting and helpful, so even if we don’t persuade anyone else to like us more, it makes for a nice thread...

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil

Postby K-Roy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:30 pm

My story don't have a happy ending, but a very tragic one...
Three years ago just before Christmas, I was teaching my wife to kite in Tabuba lagoon near Cumbuco.
It was morning about 9.30 so we were the only kiters that day, exept for a Brasilian family on the other side of the lagoon.
All of a sudden we heard screaming from the other side and I knew it was something very bad. I swam to my wife and took the kite and board from her to sail to the other side asap.
I found a teenage girl floating face down. Ejected my kite and started the rescue.
Once on the sand I started CPR and continued till Medical services arrived.
Unfortunately, me or the medic was unable to bring her back...
We only found out later, that the girl drowned while attempting the rescue of her younger cousin.
Very sad.
Stay safe!

http://diariodonordeste.verdesmares.com ... -1.1180844

Kitemanmuc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil
Gear: Kitech, Eleveight, RideEngine, Carved, Moses

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 pm
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:47 am

Thanks!
First off, this isn't a swimmer rescue, but a windsurfer rescue. This has to be 5 or 6 years ago... Virginia Key, FL in Miami (the launched was banned to kiting about 10 years ago). There is a cut just south of the launch and when the tide is outgoing and the wind is easterly it makes a small wave setup at a sandbar about 1/2 mile directly out from shore. I launch to the south (Crandon Park) and grind upwind about 1.5 miles to ride in this spot. The windsurfers still have access at Virginia Key.

I don't even know the person's name that I rescued, but here is the story. It was a "cold" winter day in Miami with strong easterly frontal winds and I grinded upwind in 20+ knots from the south and just as I arrived to the wave line in the middle of the cut, I notice a guy swimming in the surf just near a windsurfing board and separated rig - it's a good 3/4 of a mile from land. I approached him and asked if I could help and he waved me off. He told me he was going to try to rescue his rig, which I knew was going to be impossible. So, I stayed close and really didn't get much "kiting" in while I kept an eye on him.

The current was moving fast enough that this guy couldn't stay inside the waves paddling his windsurfing board even though the wind was at his back. He finally gave up his rig as the mast filled with water and it eventually sunk (say 15 minutes). He would paddle, paddle, paddle the board, then give up, drift back into the waves, catch a small one or get tumbled and start all over again. He refused my help twice, but I stayed nearby. Finally, I could see he was giving up. I insisted to drag him to the beach; he was totally done. It took 45 minutes to pull him to shallow water while he was laying on his windsurf board as I pulled him by my leash (which several times he let go and the clip end smacked and bruised me up good). I wasn't sure if he would be able to hold on, but he did. I couldn't get him to hold on and try planing when I first started the rescue, so I had to ditch my surfboard to do this and body drag the entire distance. Once I got him to the shallow water where he could stand, he looked at me and told me I saved his life. Nobody at the beach knew this person and to my knowledge he never came back. I immediately went downwind, landed the kite and went home exhausted. He had broken his tendon joint on the mast base in the rough conditions. From the looks of the gear when I arrived on the scene, the gear looked like it sat a lot in a garage and maybe gets one or two uses a season.

For anyone that windsurfs, spend the $100 annually and buy a new powerbase. I have helped 2 other windsurfers in the same area get rescued. For one of the rescues, I raced over to a jet ski and insisted that they come grab the guy, who had lost his board and was floating only with his rig. I dragged his rig to the beach by my leash (great workout by the way - I had to immediate exit the water and go home to recuperate on the couch). In the latest instance (last winter), I helped get a rescue from the lifeguard jetski after a guy windsurfing also separated his board and rig. The powerbase also broke. After ditching his board on the beach, he convinced the lifeguard jetski to take him back out to the surf and I located his rig and helped them also rescue that.

I've definitely put in my community service time at Virginia Key and it totally sucks that we are banned to kite there. As a matter of fact, the person that got the spot banned was a firefighter from Delray Beach, FL. So a visitor screwed us over in Miami - what a shame.
Wow! Thank you very much for sharing that. Maybe with the way the sport has developed over the years it might be possible to look in to reopening the spot for kiters.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 pm

I dunno if they would have died but swimmers, snorklers canoers in trouble... through the years there has been a lot.

The most significant was we pulled 12 kids out of the water after their outrigger broke in double overhead surf. Thery were stuck in as washing machine of waves and current maybe 1.5 miles from shore.

Darkside
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
El gouna
Soma bay
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot 2015 rally's 9 12 14
Slingshot vision twin
Shredtown bindings
Slingshot celeritas

Postby Darkside » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:22 am

This year while kiting in Egypt, quite a few kiters out but I was in a section pretty much to myself, as I was riding along I thaught I saw someone in the water swimming and waving at me ( not unusual) I've not got the best eye sight and I had shades on so I took them off and saw nothing so just rode on but for some strange reason I looked back to then see someone pop up out of the water waving. I immediately turned around to head towards the person, I was around 50ish meters away again the person went out of sight under the water at this point I started to panic as I rode the the spot I thaught was the place, a girl of about 9 popped up just in front of me, I grabed hold of her before she could go under again, and found myself shouting at her what the hell did she think she was doing, I told her to put her arms around my neck and my intention was to drift us in to the beach, but she was that weak I didn't dare risk it as it was quite windy and I didn't want her to lose grip, while this was going on I noticed in the distance people on the jetty had realised what was going on and I saw some one jumping into a boat, then I noticed a lad of around 15 coming towards me with a kids rubber ring turned out it was this girls brother, I asked him what the hell was he doing allowing his sister to nearly drown, anyhow he gave her the ring she had recovered by this time and he took her in, I also cut my session short and came in its not untill I did that it hit me I actualy saved this girls life if for what ever reason I'd of not looked back when I did she would of been dead, it was a strange feeling of elation and sickness at the same time

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 am

I body dragged a kiter in from about 1km out years ago. Can't be sure I saved his life. But the sun was about to go down and he had a sogged foil kite. So the only other option would have been swim in, in the dark.

Return to “Kitesurfing”