Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

South Africa - spot recommendations?

Postby czezz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 am

Hi everyone,
Im going to Cape Town for one week and afterwards for another week I want to go and visit another kite spots.
Any advices where to go (car distance/400km max away from Cape Town)?
I would appreciate to hear advices from your experiences. Cheers :)

BTW.
I already have visited:
- Langebaan
- Witsands

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Re: South Africa - spot recommendations?

Postby robclaisse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 pm

The key thing to be aware of is once you get further away from Cape Town the wind isn't quite so consistent and many spots need slightly more specific weather to get the wind (and waves) to make them work.

Paternoster is a possibility - a bit further north of Langebaan. It needs a more south in the wind and the right swell but when it works it has some great clean waves.

Kynsna is another possible option but more like 500km but its a cool place with some good flat water lagoons.

Hermanus is closer to Cape Town - couple of hours drive - wind doesn't blow as strong as Cape Town and a few different flat water spots but also options for waves.

Witsand is about a 3-4 hour drive (Witsand not Witsands next to Scarborough) and is a small village with pretty insane flat water spot. Generally works when there is a strong SE in Cape Town (SE is the best direction in Witsand too). Also waves out on the ocean side of the sand spit. Be warned is known for sharks, not that any kiters have been attached but lots of fish around there so best not to kite around the river month as the sun is going down ;-)

If you did want to go further then Cape St Francis can be a good spot (just before Jefferies Bay) as is Cannon Rocks and Kenton-on-sea. I haven't been up there for over 15 years but I remember some pretty amazing kiting.

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mopman365 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 pm

If you want to kite as much as possible, I would not bother with spots outside Cape Peninsula. If there's no wind in Table View it's pretty much dead everywhere else (Misty Cliffs and Cape Point is the exception). Also maybe Struisbaai (3hrs) - it's usually the best after a strong day in Cape Town. Check windfinder for East and 20+ knots. https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/struisbaai. There's a nice backpackers there too.

Witsand (Cape Infanta) is good too, but is not a big area so can get crowded with more than 5 guys out.

If you have a whole week and want to see something other than wind, consider a trip up the Garden Route past Witsand (Still Bay and Sedgefield has some nice kiting too)

Remember that the locals are all friendly, but treat their spots with respect else you will get a 'poesklap'. I've experienced some very arrogant attitudes from travelling Euros over the years. Oh, and we're also in a serious water crisis, so take short showers and drink beer. Cheers

Some links:
http://www.kitespotters.co.za/newkitespots.php
http://www.kitekahunas.com/kiteboarding ... beach.html (scroll down)
http://high-five.co.za/spots?p=0
http://high-five.co.za/spots?p=1
http://high-five.co.za/spots?p=3

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm

mopman365 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Remember that the locals are all friendly, but treat their spots with respect else you will get a 'poesklap'. I've experienced some very arrogant attitudes from travelling Euros over the years.
Yeah Blouberg and Langebaan thankfully doesn't suffer as much from the entitled surfer attitude. I've experienced some very arrogant attitudes from locals over the years.

mopman365
Frequent Poster

Postby mopman365 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:33 am

rynhardt wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm
mopman365 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Remember that the locals are all friendly, but treat their spots with respect else you will get a 'poesklap'. I've experienced some very arrogant attitudes from travelling Euros over the years.
Yeah Blouberg and Langebaan thankfully doesn't suffer as much from the entitled surfer attitude. I've experienced some very arrogant attitudes from locals over the years.
Strangely enough, I've only ever had friendly vibes from local kiters at all of these spots.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 am

All good advice above. Pay attention to windguru, wind alert, and windyty. And use the Spots information on Kiteforum. The weather systems generally move west to east, so when the SEaster dies out at Cape Town, it generally gives another day of good wind at Struisbaai, Witsand, and Stillbaai. And the latter also works on SW wind, albeit gusty coming over the town and hills. I just got back for six weeks in Cape Town and like several previous visits over summer, kited at all these other sites and more. Most importantly, though, do downwinders along Table Bay. Kiting only at Kite Beach misses out on some of the best waves, plus it gets crowded there.

czezz
Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP

Postby czezz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 am

Hi everyone, thank you all for replies and advices :)

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm

To keep this thread going: does anybody have local knowledge on when Scarborough/Witsands gets good winds? What to look out for in the forecast? Does it sometimes work when KiteBeach does not work, and vice versa? Or just only kiteable/pumping with the usual SE that also hits kitebeach?

mopman365
Frequent Poster

Postby mopman365 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 am

Strekke wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm
To keep this thread going: does anybody have local knowledge on when Scarborough/Witsands gets good winds? What to look out for in the forecast? Does it sometimes work when KiteBeach does not work, and vice versa? Or just only kiteable/pumping with the usual SE that also hits kitebeach?
I've only kited there maybe 10 times, but it seems to pickup allot more wind (and swell) than Table View. Usually the SE goes more East in the afternoon as it picks up. Witsands doesn't handle the East very well as there's a rather large cliff on the upwind side. Go early in the day, surf then kite then go back to Table View when it gets too gusty/strong. Beautiful place.
741272_10151190891612611_1881163610_o.jpg
736218_10151190891342611_1079593440_o.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”