Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

King of the Air 2018 - All Info

forum for kitesurfers

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Re: King of the Air 2018 - All Info

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 am

Interesting... The consequences of no handle mean a big upwing drag if you drop it and that actually happened.

Kite design seems to be making a big difference in altitude these days - especially in moderate to high winds it seems... A bit like sup racing.. best boards generally win

Be interesting to know everyone's weights too.. big variation.. probably is an optimal weight.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am

I think weight has a big factor and also height to a certain degree as weight is your ballast and height is your leverage.

Looks like the guys going biggest these days are around 80-85kg and tall. They have the weight to keep the kite down and the leverage to hold the edge for longer.

Jessie didn't go high really, not compared to the others and suggesting that judging should change away from height being the main factor is silly as that is the big draw for the crowd and that's the purpose of the KOTA.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am

Tone wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am
I think weight has a big factor and also height to a certain degree as weight is your ballast and height is your leverage.

Looks like the guys going biggest these days are around 80-85kg and tall. They have the weight to keep the kite down and the leverage to hold the edge for longer.

Jessie didn't go high really, not compared to the others and suggesting that judging should change away from height being the main factor is silly as that is the big draw for the crowd and that's the purpose of the KOTA.
I dont think its a big factor, you just have to choose your kite size and board size correctly.

Pemba
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid

Postby Pemba » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:02 pm

Tone wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am

But surely you don't think that what Jesse did wasn't very interesting for the crowd ? Of course hight should be the most important criterium for the judges but if the criteria and not something else resulted in Jesse losing when he did then maybe in stead of weighing height/extremity 70/30, it should be 60/40 or something. I just thought that he should have got further than he did because I expect what he did would have been a big draw for the crowd. But I might be wrong.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Looks like they all missed that Antonin did a Tail Spin Megaloop Boardoff...twice.

Handle or not should be a difference of 0.1 in points.
If basic trick.

If with rotation 0.2-0.3, depending how fast the rotations are. If slow no big problem, but really fast rotating makes a bigger difference.

Bigger difference with spins and flips.

Qiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Looks like they all missed that Antonin did a Tail Spin Megaloop Boardoff...twice.
Agree. Like last year, he seemed to be undervalued by the judges. Same then for Aurelien who did the crazy high King deadman..

a99
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm

I wonder why lot of KOTA kiters who used North kites not used famous North click bar ? As i saw in video they clearly used simple 5th or 4 element North bar.
Especially for this event where big audience count North must be promote Click bar in riders hands, but it wasn't.
Can someone tell me why ? Not trust click system in big jumps ?
Also saw big fins in winners boards, it's 5 mm or 7 mm fins how do you think ?
And really big boards by winners, probably at least 140x143 i think ?

alex85
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: North Rhino 2006 16 meters
Ozone chrono V2 15 meters
Slingshot fuel 2015 13 meters
Naish torch 2015 10 meters
North Vegas 2015 7 meters
North team series 2016 138x41

Postby alex85 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm

If basic trick.

If with rotation 0.2-0.3, depending how fast the rotations are. If slow no big problem, but really fast rotating makes a bigger difference.

True that Antonin did a Tail spin megaloop boardoof but I think there's a little bit difference between his kind of megaloop boardoff and the others: generally he takes the board off after the loop, in that zero "gravity point" when you fall and the kite is rising up,while others riders doing that during the loop, while the kite have the maximum amount of pull. You can see that also looking at the hands he uses to take the board off (back hand instead of front hand). Saying that I think Antonin is fenomenal and I love his style (it's not strange the heat was so close and he lost against the king of the air).

Kevin deserves to win that edition of the king of the air...and I cannot continue to think that he deserved it in 2016 too...old story...

About judging criteria...70% height is the minimun...for other style there are other kind of competions...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 am

Who thinks that riders that are natural at left leg forward when jumping / looping etc will get more height to please the judges for that 70% score and more chances of winning ?

Some riders are natural right leg forward jumpers/ loopers etc....so their best moves are coming toward shore and will get less height...no ramps to shoot from

Look at Toby...he rides favoring right leg forward...starboard tack...so in a venue like that...port tack jumps... his chances of winning would be quite less
Last edited by PullStrings on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 am

alex85 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 pm
Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:15 pm

If basic trick.

True that Antonin did a Tail spin megaloop boardoof but I think there's a little bit difference between his kind of megaloop boardoff and the others: generally he takes the board off after the loop, in that zero "gravity point" when you fall and the kite is rising up,while others riders doing that during the loop, while the kite have the maximum amount of pull. You can see that also looking at the hands he uses to take the board off (back hand instead of front hand). Saying that I think Antonin is fenomenal and I love his style (it's not strange the heat was so close and he lost against the king of the air).

Kevin deserves to win that edition of the king of the air...and I cannot continue to think that he deserved it in 2016 too...old story...

About judging criteria...70% height is the minimun...for other style there are other kind of competions...
He did that too. Or maybe it was Lasse Walker...not sure now.

One was Tail Spin then Megaloop BO.

Antonin for sure did (also) Megaloop BO then Board Spin on handle. So this is a Megaloop LATE Boardoff

Return to “Kitesurfing”