Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bar sheeting travel / kite's angle of attack.

Forum for kitesurfers
diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar sheeting travel / kite's angle of attack.

Postby diogovilla » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi,

I have recently been told that the Ocean Rodeo Stickshift bar has 115 cm of bar sheeting travel if the adjustable stopper is set at the very top (which seems HUGE to me).

My question is: How long can a bar's sheeting travel be without messing with the kite's angle of attack?

Tks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Bar sheeting travel / kite's angle of attack.

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 pm

diogovilla wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm
Hi,

I have recently been told that the Ocean Rodeo Stickshift bar has 115 cm of bar sheeting travel if the adjustable stopper is set at the very top (which seems HUGE to me).

My question is: How long can a bar's sheeting travel be without messing with the kite's angle of attack?

Tks

ZERO cm is the answer.

Whenever you sheet in or out, you change the kite's angle of attack.

The bigger the kite, the longer the distance usually.

Maybe you meant to ask: When is the kite fully depowered, and longer sheeting does not change anything ?
I dont know, but quite different on different kites - so on bigger kites say 9 m2 and up, the distance you can reach is usually the limit, and not when the kite is fully depowered.

8) Peter

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

diogovilla wrote:
Hi,

Tks
Depends on the kite I suppose.
Strutless kites like the BRM clouds are designed for long depower throw.
I use around 60cm depower on my 5 strut pulley bridle kites. I suspect pulley bridles keep a more consistent loading at different angles of attack.

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby diogovilla » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 pm
diogovilla wrote:
Hi,

Tks

ZERO cm is the answer.

Whenever you sheet in or out, you change the kite's angle of attack.

The bigger the kite, the longer the distance usually.

Maybe you meant to ask: When is the kite fully depowered, and longer sheeting does not change anything ?
I dont know, but quite different on different kites - so on bigger kites say 9 m2 and up, the distance you can reach is usually the limit, and not when the kite is fully depowered.

8) Peter
Hi Peter,

Let me clarify the question: How long can a bar's sheeting travel be without huging compromising some flying characteristics, like kite stability and upwind angle. I use the CCS system, it has 72cm sheeting travel. I have long arms and the bar won't get close to the stopper ball with my arms stretched. How is it possible to have a 115 cm of bar sheeting travel, like the Ocean Rodeo Bar? I didn't get it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Aaaah, okay.

Well, you can (with most kites) cut the rearlines fully (infinite sheeting), and the kite will still "fly" very well, fully depowered of course, and not possible to steer the kite.

You can not steer/turn the kite, not even with rear lines if too much depower stroke and bar pushed out - here every single individual kite and size got its own limit.

Thus not possible to give you a number, WHERE the depower goes into the "grey zone" where control is lost....

If you name a specific kite and size, some can give their input to where they find the sheeting should stop on this particular model :D

Regarding the OR Stick Shift bar, it has an option to trim the rear lines too, apart from the adjustable front line sheeting - thus it might give you 120 cm in total when everything is added together.

This does not mean your kite can work at all, when depowered so much - probably not....

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”