Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Why do pros often leash direct to CL?

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 am

I've seen a few video in including Lewis Crathern and Nic Jacobsen where they have the leash attached direct to the CL (not above the CL as in the old style suicide but hooked onto the loop itself). This means if they punch out the kite will be detached completely. Can someone tell me the advantage of this setup vs regular suicide where the leash attaches to the suicide ring which threads onto the CL?

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Why do pros often leash direct to CL?

Postby kiterocky » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 am

Many dont have the frontline or 5th line leash connect to the chicken loop..

kas911
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kas911 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 pm

Don't think no pros ever "punch out" But maybe if they do 1 times out of 1000 they would rather be completely dismounted from the kite? I dont know. IMO semi-suicide (with the ring) is a brilliant way to leash yourself. And leashing above the CL is plain stupid especially if the leash is attached on the back of the harness

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Not only pros do that. I do it too. If letting go of the bar is not enough (this should normally have my kite hit the water), I want to punch out immediately, and not in two steps.

I don't normally use a leash at all, in other words.

If I feel the need to punch out, I want the kite gone, and not stuck to me. This hasn't happened in 12 years. I do let go of the bar, once in a while, and the kite will depower completely.

To put this in context; I ride strapless, I'm usually 1 or two meters smaller than other wave riders out there (I like control). My bar is setup in such a way that letting go means depower....since I'only let go of the bar when in serious trouble, I see this as my first safety.

When ths conditions make, I will use the leash; only when it's very crowded in the surf. This rarely happens; I choose my spot carefully. Why pro's handle their leash differently, I doný know...in my case, it's usually superfluous.

Flamers, be gentle on me :-0.

Or6

ichabod
Medium Poster

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm

kas911 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Don't think no pros ever "punch out" But maybe if they do 1 times out of 1000 they would rather be completely dismounted from the kite? I dont know. IMO semi-suicide (with the ring) is a brilliant way to leash yourself. And leashing above the CL is plain stupid especially if the leash is attached on the back of the harness
The latest Lewis Crathern VLog he is leashed full suicide. Any ideas why someone would do this? The only advantage I can think of is it allows you to reload easily if you have released the CL, which as mentioned is not a real concern as releasing is so rare.

ichabod
Medium Poster

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm

And yes I can see the advantage in leashing direct to the CL to create a one stage release, perhaps most useful in big waves. Don't think I'd ever ride with no leash at all though.. accidental unhooking has happened to me a few times and it would suck to lose the kite each time.

kas911
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kas911 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Are you talking about "Back On Board - The Line - Episode 3" To me it looks like he forgot to clip his leash on :lol:

Riding with no leash is very selfish if you ask me :nono:

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:30 pm

kas911 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm
Are you talking about "Back On Board - The Line - Episode 3" To me it looks like he forgot to clip his leash on :lol:

Riding with no leash is very selfish if you ask me :nono:
Would depend on where you are riding..

ichabod
Medium Poster

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm

From the frame I saw he was leashed above the CL full suicide

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm

ichabod wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 am
I've seen a few video in including Lewis Crathern and Nic Jacobsen where they have the leash attached direct to the CL (not above the CL as in the old style suicide but hooked onto the loop itself). This means if they punch out the kite will be detached completely. Can someone tell me the advantage of this setup vs regular suicide where the leash attaches to the suicide ring which threads onto the CL?
You don't want to leash right on to the chicken loop. You need that figure 8 ring so you can clip on to one of the figure 8 loops and put the other figure 8 loop through the chicken loop. The reason you can't clip right on to the chicken loop is that when you are hooking and unhooking this setup will eventually cause the carabiner to snag right on to your spreader hook trapping your chicken loop to the harness. Crathern in vlog 3 as mentioned above is full suicide. I can understand being leashless (huge 20 foot waves where you have no chance of recovery once you use the QR might as well ditch the kite every time you use the QR), I can understand modern half suicide (with the figure 8 so the QR works normally but if you do miss a handle pass you don't flag the kite) and full suicide where you have it leashed above the QR is also a good option if you never want the kite to flag, but nobody should be clipping directly on to the chicken loop, you need to use an O-ring or figure 8 something like that. Then you can do it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”