Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cape Town Visitors - Avoid killing each other

Postby ulx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:47 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:28 pm

This is standard anywhere I go. The sheep mo backwards and forwards usually within 50 meters of their launch spot. Its dumb arse and stupid and it wont change.
I think it is awesome, because it just opens up the rest of the spots for others (me).
;-)

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Van Hunk wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:59 am
4.Rider with right hand forward on bar has right of way.
What about the rider riding/surfing a wave with a kite has right of way against the one riding away from the shore. The last time I was there a local made it pretty clear to me that that is how it is done around capetown at least among surfboard riders? I liked it.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:30 pm

ulx wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm
What about the rider riding/surfing a wave with a kite has right of way against the one riding away from the shore. The last time I was there a local made it pretty clear to me that that is how it is done around capetown at least among surfboard riders? I liked it.
Yeah spots that have a mixed bag of riders seems to be more susceptible to conflicts then. Pretty much every wave spot I have been to, once I see a guy on a TT I will just assume he doesn't know. The problem is that once you are on a wave in onshore conditions, you can't really do much but ride the wave so it gets iffy fast when someone is trying to hold on to the regular rules..this is only amplified in bigger waves.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:36 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:47 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:28 pm

This is standard anywhere I go. The sheep mo backwards and forwards usually within 50 meters of their launch spot. Its dumb arse and stupid and it wont change.
I think it is awesome, because it just opens up the rest of the spots for others (me).
So true. Let the muppets be muppets!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:42 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:36 pm

So true. Let the muppets be muppets!
I call it the shipping lane, I kind of always look for it, then get away from it.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Van Hunk wrote:
Ahooi everyone

First off, a belated welcome to the hundreds of international kiters who have descended on our shores.

The last 72 hours have presented us with EPIC conditions heh? Nuking winds combined with 6ft plus walls of Atlantic ice water relentlessly rolling into Table Bay. As a local who has kited all over the planet I think it is fair to say it has been world class.

That is apart from a pretty significant fly in the ointment or perhaps more accurately a turd in the punchbowl – rider chaos. (Using my local spot Dolphin as a reference point but I suspect that it is a credible proxy for other spots in the Mother City)

International kiters have a tendency to all bunch together like flies on elephant dung. (50 kiters together when you have an entire bay, why?)
When you combine the conditions and crowds with varying skill levels, wave riders out of their depth and monster egos and arrogance on the water and you get a fokop. (Yesterday saw trashed kites, mangled lines, deep facial lacerations, oi it was a mess.) Interestingly though no locals were involved in any of these dramas, as far as I m aware, as the locals know the conditions and avoid tourist riders like goats with fleas- given that they can simply not to be trusted.

Irrespective whether you are a pro or a kook, Cape Town is wild. And it takes no prisoners. (ask Nic J) So, for tourist safety (because you all have the seeming intention to murder one another) please take heed of the basic rules and vibe guide below.

1.Be friendly and smile! You are in Sunny SA!
2.The first 50m of water is for guys coming in or leaving the water. Don’t jump or do free style here. It is just dumb.
3.Roll your lines up when you have landed your kite, or someone will do it for you.
4.Rider with right hand forward on bar has right of way. (in other words the dude or dudette on the incoming tack at e.g. Dolphin beach has right of way – really it is not difficult)
5.Avoid beginners and give them right of way.
6. Know your own limitations and do not risk it in conditions where you are not sure you have the necessary skill required. Please. It is not only about you but the other water users as well.
+1!!
what you wrote goes for every crowded beach ! sign-poles do not work, they simply do not read them or pretend not understanding the language...etc..
Yes I believe kiteschools have a big responsability here, but we all know they all are like factories...ist all about moving numbers as fast as possible.
Good Luck !

Dude :cool2:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 pm

ulx wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 pm
Van Hunk wrote:
4.Rider with right hand forward on bar has right of way.

Agree 100 % with Van Hunk here, and he was pretty clear on #4.

It is for Capetown, where the wind comes from the left when you look out over the ocean, meaning the rider with right hand forward is ALSO the one riding the wave or coming in, thus never a conflict here :thumb:

The only exception is #2, close to the beach is for entering or leaving the water so be careful here :naughty:

Signs wont help one bit IMO - almost everyone knows these very very basic rules, and when wind coming from the left, there is no doubt at all (there could be, if wind from the right, as some still cling onto "right hand forward has row" instead of incoming rider, and could be an issue on mixed TT/Wave spots).

In other spots there could be "local" rules, like a rotation line-up with outgoing currents on pointbreaks or similar, although usually it is the same.

But in very CapeTown (Sunset, Dolphins, Tableview/Kitebeach and all the way up) there is not a specific break for one, and it is a mix of TwinTip riders, Waveriders, and TT riders practicing for KOTA these very days.

And no "special" local rules are needed, because the wind is from the left :D

A rider going out through the break, has no right of way, no matter if a TT or Waverider.

These days, when the KOTA is approaching, it is "going wild" sometimes, I love being there, and you can always find a way between everyone, and easy to ride up or downwind a bit to stay clear :rollgrin:

Be polite and smile and avoid others in trouble or new (which one can see miles away...) :greenlaugh:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”