Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Jesse Richman in Nazare

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Nazare could be the biggest and gnarliest wave in the world; the question may arise as to why go out there and risk everything in an attempt to ride it? In any aspect of life, the “why” is incredibly powerful, and our answer can shapes who we become. I believe that pushing past limits is one of life’s most astounding feats and one of the most addicting feelings. It doesn’t matter where we are or what we are doing; it comes back to how much we are willing to put into the moment at hand, how committed to what we are doing, how determined we are to accomplish our goals. If we want something in life, all we have to do is start going after it.

I went out to Nazare to learn about that wave, have a mind-blowing experience and see how I can push the limits of kiteboarding beyond what is currently thought to be the limit. I learned many lessons and felt the ocean’s power like never before. Going out with expectations wasn’t my plan, but it happened, I didn’t do what I aimed to do, but I worked with the waves to make sure I came in alive. I will share what I learned in the full story to come Jan 31st.

Thanks for being a part of my journey and having me on yours.
Jesse Richman

https://www.facebook.com/Jesse.Richman/ ... 289617035/

click picture to play video

https://www.facebook.com/Jesse.Richman/ ... 289617035/

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jesse Richman in Nazare

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Do you still believe this is a low skill activity to ride these waves Toby. Or have you realized yet that there are skill involved than you don't even comprehend?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm
Do you still believe this is a low skill activity to ride these waves Toby. Or have you realized yet that there are skill involved than you don't even comprehend?
No one doubt Jessie's skills and absolutely awesome commitment. I think what Toby has been trying to say (and I agree) is that it doesn't require more than average skill to get into a big wave. I have seen this plenty of times. Obviously it gets harder with massive waves. Kiteboarding makes it relatively easy to get into big stuff. Riding it is something completely different. I think I could make it into the wave...I think I would be completely fu-bared trying to ride it. I do say that after having ridden fairly big wave even for big waves. This stuff is next level of the next level.

To ride it successfully and getting out is a matter of risk reduction exercises (training, equipment, making right choices). If you can make it look good is the next level which Jessie is pretty much the best on the planet at.
To survive it when it does go wrong is a matter of all the risk reduction you have done before.
Last edited by tautologies on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 pm

I made my point.
Taut understood.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Hard to get a grip on how difficult it might be to kite large waves. I know for regular surfers, big wave surfing is incredibly difficult, you have a mountain roaring behind you and every sense has to be at maximum alertness, as you instantly scout out your line while being thrown down the wave going 30 knots and the whole time you have to be constantly charging down the wave, if you let up for a second you get hammered. So for regular surfers the transition from 8 foot waves to a monster tow in wave is something maybe 1 in a 100 surfers will be able to do. I have no context to figure out if it's incredibly difficult, incredibly easy or somewhere inbetween for kiters. Only way to know for sure is do it yourself, or watch Jesse's movie when it comes out two weeks. Can't wait to hear what he has to say about kite surfing a mountain.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 pm

So, who kited the biggest wave...Jesse or Nuno ?

viewtopic.php?t=2398542

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm
Hard to get a grip on how difficult it might be to kite large waves. I know for regular surfers, big wave surfing is incredibly difficult, you have a mountain roaring behind you and every sense has to be at maximum alertness, as you instantly scout out your line while being thrown down the wave going 30 knots and the whole time you have to be constantly charging down the wave, if you let up for a second you get hammered. So for regular surfers the transition from 8 foot waves to a monster tow in wave is something maybe 1 in a 100 surfers will be able to do. I have no context to figure out if it's incredibly difficult, incredibly easy or somewhere inbetween for kiters. Only way to know for sure is do it yourself, or watch Jesse's movie when it comes out two weeks. Can't wait to hear what he has to say about kite surfing a mountain.
You say surfing right? Not tow-in?

Return to “Kitesurfing”