Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FOne Slice reviews

Forum for kitesurfers
magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: None

FOne Slice reviews

Postby magnusod » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:41 am

Just read the new issue of IK magazine online which had a great review on FOne Slice https://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/board ... e-53-2018/

When FOne launched this board I thought it was more a flatwater strapless board than a surfboard. This review gives a lot of praise for how good it is in waves as well. Since magazines usually only give positive comments for any product I was interested to see if there are any more input from members on this forum.

I have the Mitu Pro already and absolutely loves it so the slice would be my board for medium/light winds and when it's more onshore.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: FOne Slice reviews

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 pm

Kindly disagree. I owned Mitus 5'6 2015/2016 and 2017 carbon model and now Signature 2018 carbon (perfect for down the line side shore). Had a go on the Slice 5'1 (65kg rider) as I was looking for a 2nd board for less radical conditions and finally bought a Mitu 5'4' carbon instead.
With it's flatter rocker,wider tail and very thin rails the Slice planes faster, goes upwind slightly better than the Mitu and much better than the Signature. This might make it a good board for onshore marginal conditions but that's it. As we all know it is all about compromise and for me the Slice was much harder to turn (wide tail), short nose and flat rocker meant it nose dived if not careful.

I read the test, it's all nice to say how they like the board in the waves but this board is initially designed for strapless free style. Where is the freestyle test? In my opinion just like saying they tested the Signature on flat water and they liked it... :)

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks for your input Windmaker. For sure this is a board that is aimed at Freestyle and you're right in saying that it should have been tested for that....but I'm looking at getting a board for medium/light winds/waves and better upwind abilities than the Mitu so I don't mind that it was tested only in waves. I have the Mitu 5'10 which is the biggest but being close to 100 kg I wanted something with better light wind performance.

I could choose another brand and have tested an Airush Cypher 5'4 which I was quite impressed by....especially upwind performance. Have you surfed other MPH boards apart from the Slice? I'm so happy with the Mitu...apart from light winds...so I was keen on the Slice. There was also another great review https://bayareakitesurf.com/2017/11/08/ ... rformance/ but this is from an FOne dealer so for sure he will be positive. Both reviews though is on the 5'3 and the IK magazine reviewer didn't like the 5'1 either although being quite lightweight.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:05 pm

magnusod wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 am
Thanks for your input Windmaker. For sure this is a board that is aimed at Freestyle and you're right in saying that it should have been tested for that....but I'm looking at getting a board for medium/light winds/waves and better upwind abilities than the Mitu so I don't mind that it was tested only in waves. I have the Mitu 5'10 which is the biggest but being close to 100 kg I wanted something with better light wind performance.

I could choose another brand and have tested an Airush Cypher 5'4 which I was quite impressed by....especially upwind performance. Have you surfed other MPH boards apart from the Slice? I'm so happy with the Mitu...apart from light winds...so I was keen on the Slice. There was also another great review https://bayareakitesurf.com/2017/11/08/ ... rformance/ but this is from an FOne dealer so for sure he will be positive. Both reviews though is on the 5'3 and the IK magazine reviewer didn't like the 5'1 either although being quite lightweight.
Tried a few other MPH boards and also own a HB Anti 5'3''. Not happy with it (for sale), maybe it is me but for sure that one was no good in light wind as it required a lot of power to get going. At your weight I am not sure weather the Slice 5'3'' or Cypher 5'4'' will make such a difference in light wind compared to your 5'10. Try and do a test ride first. If it was still available I would have recommended the F-One Fish. A rocket!. But also Slingshot Celeritas in bigger sizes.

Anyhow I believe the the hole MHP fashion is pure marketing. They are just onshore wave boards with the nose cut :). I can do all the freestyle I like on my Signature, cutting down the nose wont change much.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei8LdkHZbmQ[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XjgHzuRQg4[/youtube]

magnusod
Frequent Poster

Postby magnusod » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks Windmaker, that explains a lot your feel for MPH boards. I've already tried the Cypher 5'4 and it definitely has some magic in it compared to a traditional classic surfboard, no question about it. I can agree that there's a lot of marketing hype around the MPH boards but I definitely don't believe most of them are just cut down classic surfboards. In fact there are surfboard designers who gave a lot of credit to Daniel Thomson for thinking outside the box.

However, usually the first designs might take the concept too far and the later designs which takes a step or two back to the traditional designs will be the best designs. You can already see it on the latest Tomo designs which are not so extreme as the Vanguard. I was hoping that FOne which didn't jump on the MPH train directly and who works at refining products more than constantly changing shapes would have designed a board mixing the benefits of a classic surfboard with the benefits of an MPH design.

Return to “Kitesurfing”