Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Leaking Boston Valve

Postby GregK » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 pm

magnusod wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 am
How did you restore the dimples on the v-bump?
Very carefully.

Sorry, but not willing to share this IP . As a professional kite and drysuit repair guy, I need to keep some of my methods to myself.

Would be happy to offer it as a very economical repair compared to the cost of replacing the valve or bladder. Remove the bladder from the kite and mail it to me, $10 Cdn + return shipping to restore the dimples, if successful. I haven't done enough to be certain it works all the time.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby magnusod » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am

GregK wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 pm
magnusod wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 am
How did you restore the dimples on the v-bump?
Very carefully.

Sorry, but not willing to share this IP . As a professional kite and drysuit repair guy, I need to keep some of my methods to myself.

Would be happy to offer it as a very economical repair compared to the cost of replacing the valve or bladder. Remove the bladder from the kite and mail it to me, $10 Cdn + return shipping to restore the dimples, if successful. I haven't done enough to be certain it works all the time.
No worries Greg, I understand. I'm in Europe so unfortunately too far away. I will solve it somehow....even have access to a 3D printer at my work.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 am

Unfortunately it's the bottom part that is glued to the bladder which is dented. Fixmykites have them as spares in worst case but of course it's a bit of work replacing the whole Boston valve.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 am

magnusod wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 am
Unfortunately it's the bottom part that is glued to the bladder which is dented. Fixmykites have them as spares in worst case but of course it's a bit of work replacing the whole Boston valve.
kinda half assed maybe ... but could you build up the dented part with some 2 part epoxy putty? Post a pic ... maybe some of the bojack engineering scientists on here can suggest a fix.

magnusod
Frequent Poster

Postby magnusod » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 am
magnusod wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 am
kinda half assed maybe ... but could you build up the dented part with some 2 part epoxy putty? Post a pic ... maybe some of the bojack engineering scientists on here can suggest a fix.
Not at all. I've had quite a lot of success with Solarez in similar repairs. Its gel like viscosity makes it a bit easier to build up material.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 pm

magnusod wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Not at all. I've had quite a lot of success with Solarez in similar repairs. Its gel like viscosity makes it a bit easier to build up material.
Yeah, much easier to use that way. This is stuff I am using these days, with that and a sheet of plastic to smooth it out, ding repair is now "no more sanding". With some duct tape to make a "form", could probably rebuild that dent ... at least to "good enough" level. Like you, I'd be quite reluctant to replace that entire valve, if avoidable.
6cfe80ea-f9f4-452f-87c6-15699225ea0c.jpg

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:01 am

I have the same issue with a V3 Ozone Reo. The leak is coming from the top of the valve, not the base. So, it has to be from the one-way membrane that keeps the air in while pumping it up, right? I'm going to order just the red part with the membrane(less than $5) and hoping it does the trick. Am I missing something? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:01 am
I have the same issue with a V3 Ozone Reo. The leak is coming from the top of the valve, not the base. So, it has to be from the one-way membrane that keeps the air in while pumping it up, right? I'm going to order just the red part with the membrane(less than $5) and hoping it does the trick. Am I missing something? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.
the rubber washer I used isn't fitting right, so I was looking at buying one of these too -- but the shipping cost is more than the item cost. I noticed there's a bunch of generic ones out there for air mattresses etc. Brain flash! I have an old air mattresses in the store room, and sure enough, the washer fits, cap is the same size (standard). Sharing just in case you do too!

Return to “Kitesurfing”