2018 North Evo, any thoughts?

Forum for kitesurfers
Frozenfox
Rare Poster
Gear: Nkb
Brand Affiliation: None

2018 North Evo, any thoughts?

Postby Frozenfox » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Has anyone bought or had a chance to fly the new 2018 North Evo, any thoughts on the new 3 strut design, how does it compare to previous generations, noticible improvement or a step backwards this year?

balticswell
Medium Poster

Re: 2018 North Evo, any thoughts?

Postby balticswell » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Have been flying the 12m for an hour with 22m lines on a waveboard at lighter winds. Light bar pressure (used to NEOs on hard setting), pretty quick turning for the size, though I think it would genarate more power on a 24m lines. Overall impresion - the kite flyes very easy and "on it's own". Next days will try it at snowkiteing.

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks for chiming in, it sounds good so far, what bar have you matched it with, I actually have a 12m 2018 evo waiting at home but I won’t be able to fly it until March, I was thinking of adding a 9m evo as well so I’m pretty much covered for all conditions, but before biting the bullet again I thought I’d see if there any first hand glowing reviews from owners.
These users thanked the author Frozenfox for the post:
or6 (Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 am

Frozenfox wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 pm
Has anyone bought or had a chance to fly the new 2018 North Evo, any thoughts on the new 3 strut design, how does it compare to previous generations, noticible improvement or a step backwards this year?
Hello,
Disclaimer - North Team Rider here. That out of the way - I did have a chance to put some time in on a 12m Evo in fairly gusty conditions a few weeks back. Overall I was impressed and I like it more than previous years. It feels a lot like the new Rebel but turns faster and, of course, doesn't have the same hangtime but is definitely more versatile. I previously posted a review on here with some video (not that great). I definitely do not think its a step backwards although some may disagree. Its range seems to be pretty solid and like the rebel, I think it may be a bit more forgiving and stable than previous iterations. If you can definitely take it out for a demo prior to buying. Ultimately, I think you will be very pleased.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:09 am

Too add some balance. All four of us hated it. We have 2016/2017s 9/12m between us. Oh and a 10m. Mainly twin tip big jumping, board off, little wave riding dudes although the young fella among us does the strapless SB shenanigans. Riding north kites for probably longer than most have even kited.

Rocks on the front lines, disconnect between back and front lines we don’t normally experience with north kites. Shit house feel at the throw. As I said very unlike north feel.

And a didn’t like the new rebel either... but hey we all adjust and ride whatever we are on.

We won’t be buying north for a while. Neos still a top kite But we don’t need a wave kite.

Disclaimer: we are not north team riders.

balticswell
Medium Poster

Postby balticswell » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 am

Frozenfox wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 pm
Thanks for chiming in, it sounds good so far, what bar have you matched it with, I actually have a 12m 2018 evo waiting at home but I won’t be able to fly it until March, I was thinking of adding a 9m evo as well so I’m pretty much covered for all conditions, but before biting the bullet again I thought I’d see if there any first hand glowing reviews from owners.
I used the clickbar with 22m lines. I assume it would also bring more power but making the kite less reactive and narrowing it's windrange with the removed V-distributor (making a low V instead of high Y). Yes, the kites flyes differently from what I'm used to on the NKB kites, but I don't think its bad. As already mentioned somewhere it shuold please the hydrofoilers very much as it has this feel comparable with a foil kite, when you have the pull mainly on the frontlines. But it has still this magic bar feel (much lighter, but is is here for sure) when you get constant feedback about the kite, which is not the case on many other brands.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefarius » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Few noticeable improvements
Check the user review on twintip & hydrofoil, high wind 7 low winds http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1722 ... er-reviews

How the new Evo behaves view the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0QtP_c0G_Q

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 am

I’ve only tried the 2018 evo and neo in 9m and 8m respectively.

Also the 2017 9m mono

The neo to me really comes alive when you have it in the middle of the wind range and are depoweed a click or two. On the low end, it has to me, a bit too much bar pressure and can be a lot of work.

The evo is lighter on the bar pressure and in the lightest setting on the rear pig tail, might be too light for some. The c position is the middle of the abc three attachment point options might be better for a lot of people.

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks Purdyd

Return to “Kitesurfing”