Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kevin Langeree Claims Red Bull King Of The Air Title For Second Time

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:31 pm

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 pm

He boost so big. Doesn't mess around adding in as much arm strength as possible on the whip.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 pm

That was awesome. You can see how frustrated he was after the first round and then how relieved he was after the second.

saintwill6606
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Viringia Beach, Va.
Favorite Beaches: OBX/Hatters
Style: Freeride
Gear: Whatever works
Brand Affiliation: Whatever works
Been thanked: 0

Postby saintwill6606 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Awesome.....What sound system is he using???

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 pm

I finally found time to watch the Lewis Crathern - Jesse Richman semi-final last night. That heat showed how subjective the judging can be at KOTA. Echoing the sentiments of those posting in the other KOTA thread, I really think Jesse deserved to be in the finals. Even so, I got pumped just watching him kite. He is an absolute bear with the unhooked mega-loop passes. His performance has to be the best 4th place showing KOTA has ever seen. Jesse, I'm impressed. :thumb:

H2Oaltitude
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, waves and some foiling
Gear: whatever's on sale...
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby H2Oaltitude » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm

saintwill6606 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:04 pm
Awesome.....What sound system is he using???
Sound system? If your asking about the ear plugs he is wearing they are SurfEars to protect from water.

https://surfears.com/

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:24 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 pm
I finally found time to watch the Lewis Crathern - Jesse Richman semi-final last night. That heat showed how subjective the judging can be at KOTA. Echoing the sentiments of those posting in the other KOTA thread, I really think Jesse deserved to be in the finals. Even so, I got pumped just watching him kite. He is an absolute bear with the unhooked mega-loop passes. His performance has to be the best 4th place showing KOTA has ever seen. Jesse, I'm impressed. :thumb:
I did not watch the semifinals you are writing about. And you are probably very right in your judgements. I fully agree that (as any other jury sport) the judging is subjective... I like Jesse Richman a lot. Nice positive attitude..... but does Jesse come from your the same country as you do? Are you 100% objective? Can anyone be? Especially in such a small sport (on competition level)? Does Red Bull come from the US? Who needs to win from a commercial perspective?

So I would say, lets sit back and enjoy the show and try not to be bothered too much by judges....

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Peert wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:24 pm
Does Red Bull come from the US?
Who needs to win from a commercial perspective?

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:11 am

haha. I guess the best Austrian kitesurfer wasn't anywhere near good enough and The Netherlands the most nearby. That would also explain the large proportion of Dutch riders competing..

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 am

Peert wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:24 pm
..... but does Jesse come from your the same country as you do? Are you 100% objective? Can anyone be? Especially in such a small sport (on competition level)? Does Red Bull come from the US? Who needs to win from a commercial perspective?

So I would say, lets sit back and enjoy the show and try not to be bothered too much by judges....
Peert, I agree 100% that sitting back and enjoying the show is the best approach. That's what I do. I'm not at all bothered by the judging and am not being critical. Just making an observation. (Watch the semi, if you have a chance. You might agree with me.) And, honestly, it didn't even cross my mind that Jesse was from the USA until I read your post! It wouldn't have mattered to me any way. (We, in the USA, prefer people from Norway.....or so we're told by our current paper-pusher-in-chief. :naughty: ) And I have no idea where Red Bull is based. Guessing they are owned by some mega-international-conglomerate? Perhaps, I'm naive, but I believe the judging is subjective because reasonable minds can differ, and because people see different things and appreciate different skills, not because of national origin or sponsorship. It's all good to me. I'm happy that Kevin won the event, because he (IMHO) was the best in this year's competition. And I thoroughly enjoyed the "show" in its entirety. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”