Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby flying doctor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Just wondering about your opinions on the following : used my beastmount V1 for the first time in Capetown last week, it broke to pieces after 5 min. My gopro dropped in the ocean but luckily because of the floater I could save it just on time.

I contacted their customer support and got a quick reply that I could get a V2 at KOTA on Wednesday. They didn't show up (!) but later in the week one of the owners dropped by to give me V2 and told me that they sometimes had construction failures because of 3D printing. A thing of the past on V2 so he said. I was glad with the service he provided and tried the V2 last Friday and Saturday.. and I saw it dangling in 2 pieces after a couple of minutes on the water on day 2; still attached to one of the lines luckily so I could bring the camera to shore.

After contacting then again this time I said breaking it could only be a result of hanging it too far up in the lines so this was on me. I have 2025 pivots that have a low Y but looking back at the footage I can't understand that the camera would be too high: my board is actually a bit out of frame.

What's your experience? I'll be looking at another mount with more flexibility, the beastmount is very stiff and prone to breaking under stress as far as I can see.
Attachments
258D6773-1D3F-452B-AF5E-56B28227AF2E.gif
D56B0B5F-DB72-45F7-A046-AAA0161E7565.jpeg
CC59EAA9-1C6A-444E-8638-F505BFC5E24D.jpeg

Bill C
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:01 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby Bill C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am

I had the same issue with the Beastmount V1. Ditched it for the U.Go linemount and now I sell them. I place it at various locations on my center lines...no problem. Check out https://www.ugokiteboardingwest.com/

frid
Medium Poster
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:52 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: São Sebastião - SP
Favorite Beaches: Taíba, Pacasmayo, São Sebastião, Ilhabela, Paracuru
Style: Freeride and waves
Gear: Naish stuffs
Brand Affiliation: Naish Brasil
Contact:

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby frid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:54 am

I use the same... Ugo is the best for sure !!

jetboy
Medium Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:01 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby jetboy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 am

Is the ugo mount wider than the beast mount. I find the beast mount needs to be put up higher on my ozone bar which affects (narrows) the vee. Ie it raises the Y point of centres. What is the width of the Ugo at camera (low) end. Also how is it for vibration??
Last edited by jetboy on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:48 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: EAGLE 1X12
Location: Great Lakes

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby POACHER » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 am

I thought I read the Ugo can be used as a strut mount too. Anyone confirm this?

Bill C
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:01 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby Bill C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 am

jetboy wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 am
Is the ugo mount wider than the beast mount. I find the beast mount needs to be put up higher on my ozone bar which affects (narrows) the vee. Ie it raises the Y point of centres. What is the width of the Ugo at camera (low) end
The U.Go low-end width is 4 inches wide where the lines enter and 5 1/8 inches at the top. I have filmed at different elevations on my center lines (low-V) bar with no issues.

Image

Bill C
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:01 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby Bill C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:35 am

POACHER wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 am
I thought I read the Ugo can be used as a strut mount too. Anyone confirm this?
I use mine mostly on the center lines, but I have attached it to my kite bridle where it forms a 'V' if I want a particular point of view, but I wouldn't spend the whole afternoon with it attached.

You can also attach to your strut by inflating the strut inside the arc. I would make sure its backed up with a safety leash in case you tomahawk the kite. I use a Velcro strap with the camera mount for that attachment.

The U.Go accommodates all GoPro models plus Revl and Sony cameras.

User avatar
deniska
Frequent Poster
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby deniska » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 am

I have beastmount and it survived at least 15 sessions.. even one when the kite popped the strut after the tomahawking..
maybe I am lucky.. but I usually use it in "melow" conditions.. Never want anything on my lines when I am crazy powered...
I also remember hearing someone complaining about one.. but I really don't see how it can break if placed in the right place on the lines and w/o major crashes...
If it changes geometry of the lines - that's a different story, obviously..
In any case, why not just make a mount out of a wire hanger or a piece of electrical wire and some duct/electric tape? ;-)
it may not look as cool, but it wont break (and that may be a bad thing if you find yourself trying to flag a tangled line kite in crazy conditions..
I used one in the picture before I got beastmount as a gift..
they both work the same and once the beastmount breaks - I am going back to the wire :-)
linemount.jpg

User avatar
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby flying doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 am

Bill C wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am
I had the same issue with the Beastmount V1. Ditched it for the U.Go linemount and now I sell them. I place it at various locations on my center lines...no problem. Check out https://www.ugokiteboardingwest.com/
Interesting product; is it flexible? Hard to tell from the video. Also: when inserting the rods aren't there any issues with sand?
In the video it says to "install the support 85 to 135cm from the vertex" so that is the official maximum from the split point?

User avatar
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Beastmount breakage, your opinions?

Postby flying doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 am

deniska wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 am
I have beastmount and it survived at least 15 sessions.. even one when the kite popped the strut after the tomahawking..
maybe I am lucky.. but I usually use it in "melow" conditions.. Never want anything on my lines when I am crazy powered...
I also remember hearing someone complaining about one.. but I really don't see how it can break if placed in the right place on the lines and w/o major crashes...
If it changes geometry of the lines - that's a different story, obviously..
In any case, why not just make a mount out of a wire hanger or a piece of electrical wire and some duct/electric tape? ;-)
it may not look as cool, but it wont break (and that may be a bad thing if you find yourself trying to flag a tangled line kite in crazy conditions..
I used one in the picture before I got beastmount as a gift..
they both work the same and once the beastmount breaks - I am going back to the wire :-)
linemount.jpg
Glad yours is working, maybe I got unlucky twice...
I like the no nonsense DIY style, bit worried about lines snagging but attaching anything to your lines is a liability. Thanks for the tip!


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kitehume, Manxman and 21 guests