Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hi Toby, your site sucks at UX

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 pm

I'll also add a gratuitous suggestion for the OP. If you are in the business of selling your website designs, you may need a refresher course on marketing and customer relations. "Hi Toby, your site sucks at UX" isn't really a very customer-friendly opening......you won't win many new accounts with that line. I'm sure your suggestions were intended as "constructive criticism", as you've said, but you'll need to improve your customer service skills to succeed in marketing and sales (even if it's just "selling" your opinions). Just a thought. :thumb:

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Probably best placed in a PM to Toby rather than on an open forum.

GTC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Wainman

Postby GTC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 pm
I'll also add a gratuitous suggestion for the OP. If you are in the business of selling your website designs, you may need a refresher course on marketing and customer relations. "Hi Toby, your site sucks at UX" isn't really a very customer-friendly opening......you won't win many new accounts with that line. I'm sure your suggestions were intended as "constructive criticism", as you've said, but you'll need to improve your customer service skills to succeed in marketing and sales (even if it's just "selling" your opinions). Just a thought. :thumb:
You are right! I've just edited the title of the post. This post was originally published in Flamers Paradise section, so I thought a little sarcasm wouldn't bother anyone.
By the way, I am not making these suggestions to gain a new customers (forums are not meant for that purpose), but to see what other users think about :wink:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Hi Toby, some tips to improve the UX of KF

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Much better title ;-)

PM is good, but I like Feedback like this public to see what others think too.

Main forum is the best place for it, therefore I moved it here.

Menu: the menu icon is know...so it make sense to show the site and forum menu like that.

Two clicks and one knows what’s behind it.

GTC
Medium Poster
Gear: Wainman

Postby GTC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 am

Let me add another point, Toby.

One of the most important link on this site is probably the Register link. It should draw the attention from the user over other elements. Making it a button instead of a simple text link would probably increase the conversion rate (to new users).

But what happens after clicking on "Register"? A Terms & Conditions acceptance text, even before filling the required information (!!). Not a good practice imo.
Registration forms should be friction less. The less text to type, the better the conversions will be.

Here some examples of how to improve it:
Attachments
2.png
1.png

GJibb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Gear: kites and boards

Postby GJibb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:58 am

Personally have no issues with the website. Does everything it needs to do. Just ignore things that don't pertain to myself, easy peasy.
Single MINOR issue... alot of users complain when someone asks an already asked question (which makes alot of sense with alot of new people and gear) and complainee always says use the search.
Well I use the search and if im asking a simple question like which hydrofoil is a good beginner then I have to scroll through 10 pages before I find a subject that is directly relevant to my question.
Is that a web design issue? I doubt it. Does it stop grouchy men from bitching about simple questions being asked in a completely understandable manner? No. Do I know how to fix it? Nope.
Maybe I should ask why kites cost so much and see if I just get an answer or if I'm supposed to use the search. $2000 for one kite? how is this sport supposed to grow let alone sustain when its so completely unaffordable?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 am

I have a problem on my mobile. Well its been over 3 phones. 2 android and one apple. I try to comment on a thread and i am asked for logon details. So i logon and click save passed word and go to reply to the thread. It asks for logon/password details again. ...

KristianE86
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SVP
Style: Free Riding
Gear: FS

Postby KristianE86 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm

GTC wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 am
Let me add another point, Toby.

One of the most important link on this site is probably the Register link. It should draw the attention from the user over other elements. Making it a button instead of a simple text link would probably increase the conversion rate (to new users).

But what happens after clicking on "Register"? A Terms & Conditions acceptance text, even before filling the required information (!!). Not a good practice imo.
Registration forms should be friction less. The less text to type, the better the conversions will be.

Here some examples of how to improve it:
If a user is unable to complete the current registration process, the user is a m-o-r-o-n. Toby, are all users welcome regardless of their stupidity?

This dumbing things down approach so typical of hipsters is a fine example of the nany state. The kiteforum.com design probably scares a lot of superficial people away, which keeps the long timers happy and ensures a stable platform. The current design is a feature. Not a bug.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

agreeing to the terms is 1 click, same like your suggestion.
Changing that is always hassle when updating. Too many specific changes can cause many problems.

Your suggestion with the register button is good...I think also for login it would make sense?

evan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Postby evan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Another that annoys me on the frontpage is that the italic subboard titles are blending in the big text block. Something like this makes it much more readable (maybe with less line-heigth, but you get the point):
kiteforum frontpage.PNG
Compared to the current topic-list:
kiteforum frontpage old.PNG

Return to “Kitesurfing”