Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 648
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: uk
Contact:

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby kjorn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm

12m, 10m 8m, 7m

12 and 10 in the summer, 10, 8 and 7 in the winter. UK rider.

Twintip and wakeboard

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm

I ride a TT (132 or 135) mostly in Florida and the OBX. I have too many kites and kite sizes. But 70% of my sessions are on either a 14m or 10m kite. The other 30% are on 12m or 8m (with a few sessions on 16m).

A lot of my kite selection choice is based on personal preference for a particular kite, rather than the most appropriate size for the wind conditions. For example, in 8-9 m wind conditions, I'd rather fly my 10m because it's a better kite for me. On a 16 m wind day, I'll choose my 14m with a larger board (same reason - I just like the 14 m better). If I travel, I'll almost always choose to take the 14m and 10m and a smallish TT. I can cover most wind conditions with those 2 kites.

Topaz
Medium Poster
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Naish / Cabrinha / North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby Topaz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:11 pm

^^ +1

10m and 14m is the best two-kites combination for Florida. You catch about 90% of the wind.

I used to have 9 and 12, but I was using the 9 very little.
And when riding the 12, if I was lit, I had the felling I could be having more fun on a 10. And when underpowered, I wanted to be on a 14.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:31 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm
I ride a TT (132 or 135) mostly in Florida and the OBX. I have too many kites and kite sizes. But 70% of my sessions are on either a 14m or 10m kite. The other 30% are on 12m or 8m (with a few sessions on 16m).

A lot of my kite selection choice is based on personal preference for a particular kite, rather than the most appropriate size for the wind conditions. For example, in 8-9 m wind conditions, I'd rather fly my 10m because it's a better kite for me. On a 16 m wind day, I'll choose my 14m with a larger board (same reason - I just like the 14 m better). If I travel, I'll almost always choose to take the 14m and 10m and a smallish TT. I can cover most wind conditions with those 2 kites.

Yup - understand this perfectly :-)

I dont have too many kites and sizes though...

But that if you got one size that is different in ANY way (same brand/another brand/another type/worn or not) you tend to choose accordingly, what you prefer, even if you KNOW it is not spot on, you just cross fingers as you want "this" one more than the next, ha haaa.
This is the very reason why I, after getting my 7 m2 (which is by far the most used kite for my 78 kg overall) back from repair, still used my brand new summer 2016 kites 6 and 8 m2 instead.
After having realized this now, I will use the exact kite I want instead - as it is an irrational behaviour.

Either that, or I should sell/give my 7 m2 away and buy a new one ha haa :rollgrin:
Online prices are awesome, and kites perform like never before now, not really anything happening apart from the marginal wind hydrofoil kites of course.

Have only had the 3,5 for half or 2/3 of the 1½ year, so it will be used more now - unless I get a 4 m2 instead :wink:

8) Peter

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Topaz wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:11 pm
^^ +1

10m and 14m is the best two-kites combination for Florida. You catch about 90% of the wind.

I used to have 9 and 12, but I was using the 9 very little.
And when riding the 12, if I was lit, I had the felling I could be having more fun on a 10. And when underpowered, I wanted to be on a 14.

On what boards ???

Makes a huge difference - when I ride a 9 on my surf/waveboard, TTs ride 12 m2, and in the same wind I use a 5.5 m2 on a hydrofoil, about half the size only, but true :naughty:

So VERY important to note the type of boards, apart from weight :wink:

But really cool you guys write the location, as it gives us all over the world an idea of the winds (instead of useless wind numbers and wrongly interpreted wind statistics), as some like to foil in light winds, others want to ride waves in medium winds, and some like to go skyhigh on a TT in max nukin winds :thumb:

8) Peter

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Moses/Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/71cm masts 590/545/328/633/483 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby grigorib » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:10 pm

7/9/11/15 is the quiver for my 200lbs

15 gets out only with a door board and usually on 30/37m long lines
7/9/11 - twintip and foil

I was finding myself in need of 5m for riding hurricane Matthew (rode 5.5m Kahoona overpowered) and for foiling in 30+ knots but when it blasts I can pull out a nice jumping session on 7m

Eckhardt
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 am
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby Eckhardt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 pm

15 contra for rhe summersetsession or holidays
12/9 fx for the whole year round
7 sb for them autumn/winterstormsessions with 35+knots wind

I ride them all with my lieuwe shotgun 136/40.5

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8452
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Where ?

grigorip, Lake Michigan - Indiana ?

Eckhardt, Jmuiden - West coast of holland ? That makes sense then, same winds as here in Denmark, from zero to hauling ass :rollgrin:

8) Peter

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:35 am
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites
Location: Dillon, CO

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby kitejumping » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 pm

I have a 6m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 14m, 15m, 18m, 20m. All foils, 11,15,18 sonic frs, 9, 14ul, 20ul, PL Aeros.

Plan on selling the Sonics now that I got the Aeros. The 20m ultralight is by far my most used on the snow (frozen lake) at 9000ft, previous most used was the 18m sonic. If kiting passes 12,000ft and above usually on a 6-11m, continuous kiteloops to tow up and park and ride fun downhills. Mountain wind tends to be gusty and inconsistent if it's above 12mph.... (typical 15mph day will be gusting to 30 with snownadoes that can collapse your wing) so I don't jump much with anything smaller than a 14m in lighter winds (wind dies you don't crater on ice).

On a side note, the 20m aero UL has a significantly better low end than the 18m sonic or a 19m core, I did 15 miles the other day when a 19m core wouldn't get off the ground. It also parks and rides sooner than the 18m sonic since it weighs way less. The Sonic 18 tends to stall sooner than the aero and you have to keep the bar out and continuously loop it when the wind dies. Both are fun kites, unreal hangtime.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Moses/Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/71cm masts 590/545/328/633/483 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kitesizes do YOU use ?

Postby grigorib » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm
Where ?

grigorip, Lake Michigan - Indiana ?
.....
8) Peter
Lake Michigan (Indiana, Sheboygan, Holland, St. Joe, LSP), OBX, SPI, La Ventana

OBX is 70% of my kiting every year though


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: knotwindy, mbs and 22 guests

cron