Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which 2018 North Kite should I buy??

forum for kitesurfers

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which 2018 North Kite should I buy??

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 am

mkNY wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:14 pm
Eppo, boy do you seem to hate the 2018 gen. I ve been riding EVOs for years and yes the 2018s are different, but not dramatically IMHO.

I have only flown the 12 so far and for me it’s definitely an improvement. Lighter on the bar but still enough feedback to tell exactly where the kite is. Better drift and low end then the previous gen and most importantly easier to go vertical and slightly better hangtime/glide.

On the negative side, the 2018 seems a bit less aggressive in lift and overall feel. So people who want a more radical experience will have to switch to the dice I would assume.

Seeing 2 riders use the 2018 EVOs at the KOTA shows it can handle massively overpowered conditions and still hold its shape. Was stoked to see them use EVOs and go huge :)

Opinions and opinions.

I can guarantee you I and the three other guys (who I test kites with) have been riding north kites longer than you, including all the various incarnations of the evo.

Plus using the king of the air as comparative argument for a kite is seriously deluded. You ever flown a pivot? We have several times. You ever flown an epic screamer? We have nearly every generations. Couldn’t make either work.

That’s because these guys are the best of the best, are paid to ride a kite and will make just about anything work.

But... the sport is increasingly dominated by middle aged couch potato wannabe surfboard riders and mow the lawn twin tippers, so a 3 strut evo that flies off the front lines like a scared shitless rabbit makes marketing sense. And god forbid a 5 line rebel...

Hey you are happy great. They still are well built great kites. The more discerning riders though know a public R and D process when they see it.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, King Gee,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 am

That's it , its settled. The 2018 Evo sucks, end of conversation. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freestyle\Freeride\Wave
Gear: 2017 North Evo 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq Heritage\North NTT
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:45 am

Sure maybe the next few iterations of the EVO\Rebel might refine things further, no doubt. And if you feel like the kite doesn’t work for you, switch to something else, plenty of options. I’m not a team rider, so couldn’t care less. Still love to hear opinions on gear though as kiting is my passion.

This years KOTA certainly was interesting in terms of chosen gear. These guys are all sponsored so I honestly don’t think the brand would care what model they ride. I have chatted with some team riders in the past and it’s quite funny how little the brands are involved in general. Most riders are totally solo and just get free gear in exchange for content and publicity. From my personal experience anytime you do something that pushes the limits you opt for the grear you feel most comfortable with. No rider would choose a kite they don’t trust 100% in crazy maxed out conditions to throw high risk moves that could cause serious injuries (see accidents from prev years). So seeing pros chose delta hybrids this year over C/C hybrids was quite the deviation.

Now does that mean an Evo in my hands will make me jump 20+M and throw mega loops, probably not. But still cool to see the kite you ride has that potential and can hold its shape and perform in those conditions.

Yep have flown Pivots and screamers as well. Very different feel to North, didn’t work for me either. Pivots were to heavy on the bar when powered and had a tendency to stall when fully sheeted, screamers similarly high on bar pressure and a bit twitchy and overly aggressive.

samt9892
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none

Postby samt9892 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks for all the replies

Some super useful info here
SSK wrote:
I'm mainly a wave sailor windsurfing wise so when its really firing ill probably be out on that
Let me tell you how this will play out. In a year from now your windsurf equipment and twin tip will be in the garage gathering dust. You will be kiting on a directional doing things in the waves you only wished you could do on a windsurfer. I know you think that is not going to happen, but we all thought that. Just sell all your windsurfing gear, get a directional, and get the wave kite.
I think windsurfing will always have a place in cross off wave spots, though im definitely getting rid of my slalom gear..

I imagine ill get a directional once ive got the twintip dialed, surely its a bit of a step up?

I think a 12evo (better range) and a 9neo (probably some swell at onshore spots when its windier) might be the ideal compromise then given there doesnt seem to be too much difference in feel between the kites..

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, King Gee,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Once you realize how much easier and enjoyable kites are in the wave you will say goodbye to the WS gear. I thought the same thing five years ago, sold all my WS gear last year after collecting 5 years of dust. WS is great and I enjoyed it very much for years , but the freedom and silence of kites is just better. Kiting just feels more free and closer to traditional surfing.
Also getting out through the break is a thousand times easier...just my two cents.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster

Postby Teabageppo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:35 am

matth wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 am
That's it , its settled. The 2018 Evo sucks, end of conversation. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well it’s just an opinion. Just like all the guys raving about it.

I’m a massive fan of north, one of the biggest and haven’t owned anything but for a long time.

So my views do not come with some resignation and downright annoyance.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 am

I concur fully with SSK and matth !

Problem is, you have to "re-live" it yourself, to know - eventhough we are pretty sure :naughty:

Windsurf in waves are the best, no doubt and nothing beats it IMO :thumb:

BUT, you will find that you can ride waves on kitesurfboards in way less wind, in much smaller waves, in more onshore winds - and JUST as fun as the extremely rare perfect windsurf wave day :rollgrin:

You wont end up parked if the wind drops a bit either, and you suddenly got more time either for surfing more, or for your family, as you dont need these looooong drives to get wind fully sideshore anymore (but still free to take these very same conditions when you want these, just with a kite now).

I had ridden waves and freestyle for years, windsurfing, and still did 6-7 years while also kitesurfing (when it came for real around 2000).
The first thing that happened was the freestyle sessions got dropped - kiting of course when not much more or around 15 knots.

Windsurf waves was still full on for some years - till the kitesurf evolution turned into waveriding, and from then on it was kitesurfing waves at the same spots and same days, instead.
At first maybe simply for exploring what could be done and how it felt - but havent used my windsurf gear since then.

Kept my smallest windsurf waveboard and all sails up to around 6 m2 freestyle sails (would not get much if sold anyways), but havent been used.

Till last year that is - I got myself a used slalom board, modified it to my biggest kite hydrofoil - thus have ridden windfoil last summer on this, to "see what its like" :naughty:

Now I know (and it IS fun indeed), the same thing has happened, it only took less than half a year though, that it is way too cumbersome, compared to kiting - so havent ridden it since. It might come back, I dont know, but not sure...

So eventhough windsurf in waves when everything is PERFECT, is IMO better than kitesurfing in waves no doubt - it is not in real life as you get perfect or almost perfect conditions almost every time in waves with a kite, whereas windsurfing this was a rare thing, lots of dissapointments after hours and hours in the car if conditions did not match perfect or not at all.
And they were soooo rare too - and often shitty rainy weather when they occured.

With a kite you can navigate to avoid these situations so much easier, even take the sunny wavedays instead - and you got a totally new life in terms of being able to ride waves a lot, in really good wave kitesurf conditions.
Best thing is you can ride locally in the tinyest of waves and still have awesome fun, and practice things.

Jumping ?
That was what we thought was insaaaaaane when starting, for many years, but now - we hardly never jump.

Occasionally we take a huge boost skyhigh yes, or a kiteloop, but compared to riding waves, it is not "zen" not the same satisfaction.
Still a cool "spice" you can add - but it does not really give you much, after some years.

Above is probably just wrong to you now, I know - as you want to JUMP, and kitesurf when not sufficient wind or waves for windsurf right ?

Let us see in 3-5 years how it has gone, could be awesome :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am

PS: You will also avoid those many days doing nothing but boring helicopter tacks cause the wind has dropped a bit :rollgrin:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:38 am

samt9892 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 am
I was thinking of getting an evo 9 and 12 although i hear some negativity around the new move to the 3 strut design in 2018..
One of my friends suggested the 2018 neo saying he thinks its the best kite in the 2018 lineup? again thinking 9 and 12

oh i'm 80kgs and my local spot is camber sands UK (cross-on 15-30knots)
Cheers
Sam
Hi Sam,

I'm just down the coast from you on the West Sussex/Hampshire border. I was a wave sailor for 20 years so I know where you're coming from (I weigh about 82kg). I also got 9/12 to start with.

I don't use North kites but because you can get a great deal if I was you I'd get 9/12m 2018 North Evo's and see how you get on (it's nice to move between the same kites). They'll have a really good resale value so you can always sell them (probably for at least what you'll pay for them) if you want to change.

Good luck.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster

Postby Teabageppo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am

Well ... I disagree with Peter. We all still jump, loop, board offs , water slides, variations with rotations of all of these.

Sure if you are just jumping and staying at the kook / medium level it may get a little tedious.

Even after 18 seasons I’m still learning new board flips etc on both TTs and surfboards. Even some more simplier unhooked stuffed nowadays as the bodies ability to recover diminishes.

Wave riding is awesome for sure in both a SB and a TT given the conditions.

But so is jumping and it’s variations. There is nothing like doing a simple 20-30 foot jump with a controlled and exactly existed tic tac Board flip... or even a highly powered loop and a larger 9/10m kite in 25 knots where you execute a few downloops on the descent ... and all done in controlled zen. Without thought, without panic. Just do.

So saying one form is the ultimate is ultimately erroneous and just a personalised opinion... again.

Hence why the majority of SB only riders are kooks who couldn’t quite cut the demands of a TT... and then claim it’s all too boring and easy.

Nah you just didn’t, couldn’t explore it enough. Then make out like you are advanced being on a SB in waves.

Nope. You are still a kook Mowing the lawn...

Do and try it all... it’s all zen.

Return to “Kitesurfing”