Directional footstraps ?

forum for kitesurfers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Directional footstraps ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Would start a seperate thread, as the other thread was apparently about TT straps, which is very different to straps for waveboards/raceboards/hydrofoils/skimboards, or any other directional.

My personal favourite is the Dakine Supremo (or Primo), the classic windsurf strap, never collapses, easy to get in/out, lasts quite long, and you dont get blisters.

I know some who dont like this very strap, so apparently very personal.

I have also used the Dakine x-lace wave strap.

I dont like it...
You have to wiggle your feet into this one, meaning whenever you tack or jibe or take your rear foot in/out - you are wasting time and get annoyed.
Also, it can not be set very big, so can not be used with boots, or bigger feet.

How often do you have to trim your straps ?
Two or four times per year is my typical - going from summer to winter and back, and maybe twice again if you take a wintervacation to a warm spot like CapeTown or similar.
So it does not have to be easy, unless you have a rental board business :wink:

Some like the x-lace wave though.

Apart from the Dakine Primo, I also use the JP strap:

Works quite well, BUT, it is too hard at the ends, so I find they gnaw at the feet if you ride with feet twisted in the strap, so not perfect.

Occasionally I have used the North Yellow ones (they made the same in white too the year before or after):

Quite comfortable and relatively easy to get fast in/out, and soft.
But because they are wider, it is still slower than the Primos.
And as I recall, they can not be adjusted to boots either.

I have just ordered two sets of straps I havent used before, to find out how they work:

The Dakine Tyrant

And the Drake MKIV (can anyone tell what the difference is from MKIV to MKV ?)

Manu has made this awesome video, where you can get some pointers. IMO windsurf and kitesurf are requiring the very same straps, no difference, but personal and physical liking what one prefer:

phpBB [video]

8) Peter

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Directional footstraps ?

Postby knotwindy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Also NSI (North Shore Inc) Surflite both adjustable & non. I like the adjustable better.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm
Also NSI (North Shore Inc) Surflite both adjustable & non. I like the adjustable better.
This one ?

8) Peter

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Yup, that’s it. Northshoreinc.com

All kinds of straps :bye:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Is it velcro under the adjustment tab ?

I hate lose tabs dangling around, like on North... (maybe just my OCD I know)

It could be velcro so it stays put, or ?

If not, can you put it under the neoprene, if you only gotta change size a few times per year ?

NSI is not really big here in europe, in the shops or local online :roll:

8) Peter

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Ive tried directional straps from Cabrinha, F-one, Dakine (the white ones with zip and plastic tabs as well as the Primo), and the all broke off or the neoprene disintegrates. So far these Vanhunks straps are the most comfortable and longest lasting. Good bridge support and does not fall flat like the Cabrinha and F-one. Also not too stiff so can be twisted - important for the front strap unless you just ride switch like i do 90% of the time.
DSC_0016.JPG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm

mopman365 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm
Ive tried directional straps from Cabrinha, F-one, Dakine (the white ones with zip and plastic tabs as well as the Primo), and the all broke off or the neoprene disintegrates. So far these Vanhunks straps are the most comfortable and longest lasting. Good bridge support and does not fall flat like the Cabrinha and F-one. Also not too stiff so can be twisted - important for the front strap unless you just ride switch like i do 90% of the time. DSC_0016.JPG

Hmmm, I didnt see that coming, but there is a "grey zone" in between directionals and Twintips - Mutants indeed, and very different straps again :D

Where you occasionally have to switch stance, but not like on other boards where you do it every tack and jibe or just whenever you want to change stance on a wave to/from switch or regular suddenly :naughty:

Do they work for directionals too, or too wide for fast change ?

8) Peter

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm
mopman365 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm
Ive tried directional straps from Cabrinha, F-one, Dakine (the white ones with zip and plastic tabs as well as the Primo), and the all broke off or the neoprene disintegrates. So far these Vanhunks straps are the most comfortable and longest lasting. Good bridge support and does not fall flat like the Cabrinha and F-one. Also not too stiff so can be twisted - important for the front strap unless you just ride switch like i do 90% of the time. DSC_0016.JPG

Hmmm, I didnt see that coming, but there is a "grey zone" in between directionals and Twintips - Mutants indeed, and very different straps again :D

Where you occasionally have to switch stance, but not like on other boards where you do it every tack and jibe or just whenever you want to change stance on a wave to/from switch or regular suddenly :naughty:

Do they work for directionals too, or too wide for fast change ?

8) Peter
I find the width actually helps - more area to grab with a big toe when foot placement is not perfect. I used to regularly step the softer Cab and F-one traps flat. These stay open. But again, I'm not regularly switching, so should probably shut up now. Btw, this is not a mutamt board. 5'5 x 18.5 quad directional.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 pm

No no, that is fine and lets share all experiences - just something we dont really see here, mutants, or directionals not tacking/jibing that much.

Then the wider straps makes fully sense indeed :thumb:

And I would think some love the wide ones for typical directional riding too, so interesting to hear what each and everyone prefers for their boards.

Or there could be a reasonable connection, that mutant riders (or directionals not switching every time) more often use wider footstraps :roll:

I remember the wider straps on many mutants in 2003 to 7/8 (where they died again, apart from the Mako), worked fine back then, but now when switching feet it is not my preference.

So quite interesting as we are all different in what we like.

8) Peter

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Style: ride in circles & figure 8s
Gear: 5 to 7 year old kites & 4 to 8 year surfboards
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby PullStrings » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Only own 3 surfboards to ride ....i use those...ride them kinda loose... barefoot...at 7 inches spread screw to screw...love them...the best IMO...log on avg. 200 sesh-year

Board #1...usage 55% of the time....5'2" x 21" x 2 2/8" Quad
Board #2 ...usage 35% of the time..5"5" x 18 1/4" x 2" Quad
Board #3 ...usage 10% of the time... 5'9' x 16 3/4" x 1 3/4" Tri

....and don't worry about your OCD...it's all good :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”