kitelivy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Souris, Pei
Style: whatever
Brand Affiliation: None

King of the Air question

Postby kitelivy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm

I saw on the live stream that all the competitors had to wear impact vests. Which could have a pocket in it for a competition GPS
Also that 70% of the score was based on height of the jump.
With so many GPS devices available today I'm surprised that each competitors wasn't given a GPS to wear that would say who did get the highest etc.
They could even award a prize for the highest jump of the competition and points during the rounds.
I know that King of the Air is more than height but it is weighted very heavily so why not have accurate measurements.
How many GPS makers would want to have their GPS part of a competition like this?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: King of the Air question

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:56 pm

I heard they all had a Woo...judges could see live height to help judging...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: King of the Air question

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 pm

A GPS can not measure "small" height differences sufficiently accurate, this is why.

Speed can be precise, in fact extremely precise a lot less than 1 km/h if a doppler GPS, but KOTA is not about speed.

As Toby writes, both this KOTA and even two years ago, there were different ways to get the jump height, woo one of them.

So you are right, plenty of space yes - but a GPS of no use in terms of usable accuracy, unless you jumped 1000 meter.

A woo or similar, which operates on typical accelerations to perform a jump, besides gps data, to deliver the approximate jump height, is better when fixed to the board instead of the rider.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”