Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What to inspect when buying a used kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

What to inspect when buying a used kite?

Postby espana2323 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 am

Hi all,

I am new at kitesurfing and looking to buy my first used kite. Can you please advise me on the things I should be checking on a used kite to determine the condition that it's in? I am planning to buy a Cabrinha Switchblade 2016 or 2015 kite, and I want to make sure that it will be in good condition and will last for some time.

Thank you.

-Mike

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: What to inspect when buying a used kite?

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm

If you get to see the kite in hand, look it ALL over while inflated.

While the whole set up is susceptible to damage, many of us buy used kites remotely without the luxury of a hands on inspection. Here are a few tips:

It's always a crap shoot so don't spend more than your willing to forfeit.

Establish enough dialogue to gauge the sellers integrity. The majority of people I have bought kites from are honest good people who are upfront about the condition of the gear. If not, you can usually sniff em out with a simple easy request.

Ask for just a few specific pictures: People post very generic shots of their gear for the add. Only ask for a couple if the seller has been prompt and upfront. I like a close up of the pigtails on the kite and the elbow region of the LE (inflated). If things are feeling/looking suspect after that you can ask for an additional close up of what they consider to be the most worn, scratched or frayed spot on the kite. If the seller sends back the same shots from the add, it "could" be suspect. If they send the specified shots, you can put some stock in what they say about the kite in general. Asking for the worst spot (not repairs which should have been disclosed) is great. If there is something really glaring and they didn't disclose it when asked, you can fight through paypal. I have never had to do that and have bought many used kites.

If your buying the bar, you can ask for a shot of the chicken loop, depower line, the grip itself and a close up of the pigtails on the line ends.

I have only really been disappointing in the condition of a kite compared to expectations once, but it came with a bar that was in excellent condition and the price was really very low so I didn't complain.

Buying used from some of the bigger shops is also a good way to hedge your bets as they are generally very honest with their appraisals and wont sell anything that is truly on its last leg.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Also the trailing edge as it can get a lot of wear just sitting on the beach flapping in the wind even if the rest of the kite looks good.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Ebay can work well. Just make sure the seller has a solid history close to 100%. Don't buy from anyone with less than 10 or so reviews , the more the better.
If buying direct from seller, I agree to make sure you have some phone conversations with seller, it is more risky but I have bought this way on several occasions with great results. Also check for used gear from dealers online, this is safer and you have some protection if you feel you were hoodwinked. Also look for great deals online on new kites from past years. I see great deals all the time, or even Switch kites that are very affordable and an excellent value.

espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet

Postby espana2323 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks for the information guys. Most likely I'll be able to check kites in hand.

Return to “Kitesurfing”