Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help me understand Cape Town wind on the basis of this Windguru forecast

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:08 am

Anyone planning to kite in the region today or tomorrow?
Not a lot of wind today.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:28 am

Any locals that could give some insight on the forecast for today and next week? Wind was predicted yesterday but nothing decent came through, so I'm confused on how to interpret the forecast... E.g. looking at windyty, should we try our luck at Muizenberg today? Thanks in advance for a locals expert opinion!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:46 am

Strekke, I hope you kited at Blouberg on Sunday. I'm back home in the states, but the BKA wind meter shows good conditions. Monday looks no good anywhere, but the rest of the week should be similar to Sunday, just not nuking the way it can in December, January, and February. march is when things wind down, and most northern hemispherics have flown off.

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 pm

Strekke wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:28 am
Any locals that could give some insight on the forecast for today and next week? Wind was predicted yesterday but nothing decent came through, so I'm confused on how to interpret the forecast... E.g. looking at windyty, should we try our luck at Muizenberg today? Thanks in advance for a locals expert opinion!
As mentioned before, the wind this season was a bit odd at times with predictions not turning reality on occasion. As we get to the end of the season it can become more difficult to predict the wind - this is normally the case.
But looking at the forecast and current wind I think we will have wind this whole week and it will come through for sure this afternoon, will be a bit lighter tomorrow and strong again Thursday. Friday back to light. So you should be able to kite the whole week (later in the day mostly) but you might need a big kite tomorrow and Friday. Weekend not looking good but it can still change.

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby North_Wind » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:27 am

My observation on Windguru and Cape Town wind is as follows:

1. The wind forecast is generally accurate unless it is the SE (Cape Doctor) forecast to blow. So for example a NW wind forecast is usually spot on
2. If the SE is forecast to be light (up to 17 kts) the forecast is usually accurate.
3. If the SE is forecast to be 21 kts or above it is usually way stronger than that. 21 kts forecast might be 28. 24 forecast might be 35+
4. The tricky one is a forecast of 17-20 kts ... in this intermediate zone sometimes it goes nuclear sometimes it doesn't. Best bet is to watch the clouds on the mountain (if they form wind is coming) and also click the BKA (formerly Best Kiteboarding) tab on the top left of the Windguru screen and look at the live wind readings. Click through for the wind chart.

Best wishes,

James / BA
www.capetownkiteclub.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”