Mystic X
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Impact vest with pockets

Postby bmcfiv » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Does anyone know of a neoprene impact vest with pockets? My ideal vest would:

• Have 2 or more pockets
  • Pockets large enough to carry phone in a pouch and aqua socks for an emergency
  • One mesh pocket to carry portable waterproof bluetooth speaker.
  • Have more buoyancy than typical impact vests
I've tried two separate kiteboarding life preservers, the NP high hook and Ion Booster X. Both are uncomfortable, ride up when you land in the water, nylon chafes the chin, and are bulky. The Booster's pocket is decent. The High Hook's pocket is the worst design call ever, can barely fit a phone. I am no longer using either unless it's in extreme conditions.

Currently I have the Ion Vector impact vest that I've rednecked out. I used Aqualseal to glue a neoprene pouch to the front of the vest, plan on adding another to the other side, use the JBL Clip 2 speaker where I attach it using the carabiner to the shoulder strap, and then as backup I have a waterproof case tethered to the other shoulder strap. It looks ridiculous, but have had great success for over 6 months, and the pockets have yet to restrict movement or get in the way. The speaker hits me in the face every once and awhile. A vest that came standard with these pockets would be a vast improvement.

If anyone's listening, you could take the Ion Vector, have it a slip over to remove the zipper, then add pockets accordingly. You can add move foam to back for buoyancy.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Impact vest with pockets

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm

I would say that you should just get a small back pack to carry that list of stuff you ride with.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm

bmcfiv wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm
Does anyone know of a neoprene impact vest with pockets? My ideal vest would:

• Have 2 or more pockets
  • Pockets large enough to carry phone in a pouch and aqua socks for an emergency
  • One mesh pocket to carry portable waterproof bluetooth speaker.
  • Have more buoyancy than typical impact vests
Check out ProMotion's Kite Vest
http://www.wetsuit.com/2New_Buoyancy_an ... Vests.html

One big mesh pocket large enough to carry phone, snack, packable socks, and possibly a waterproof speaker for tunes. Depends on the size of the gear being stashed, so the pocket may not be big enough. It's also a bit awkward to access since it's on the back, but it's not impossible.
The Kite Vest has 12-13lbs of floatation. In comparison, a CG Type3 foam vest has 15.5lbs. It has the highest amount of float that I've seen in a vest designed to work with waist harnesses. Impact vests are generally at or under 10lbs of floatation.
It also has the best designed adjustable closure system imo. Half zipper, half velcro panels that wrap up snug around the belly.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Check out some kayak PFD's (pockets, knife holders, etc.)

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:07 am

I had a neil pryde windsurf pdf that at least had a pocket for a whistle. A kayak pfd a good suggestion, as long as it's high enough not to impede a waist harness.

For my impact vest, I sewed in an inside pocket at chest level for hook knife....if s**t hits the fan, I want it up high where I can reach it, not way down attached to harness.

A functional suggestion from a friend: cargo shorts over your wetsuit. Big side pockets below your harness to store water, power bars, etc ... this was for long downwinders. That's assuming you don't care how you look, as shorts over wetsuit is a major style violation -- but I'm with you, function before fashion. I am not winning any contests any time soon. ;-)

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 am

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm
I would say that you should just get a small back pack to carry that list of stuff you ride with.
The problem with the backpack is that it's hard to fit well over the vest, if you still want the vest for flotation or impact protection.

I had the NP High hook and didn't like it either for the same reasons. It rides up and rubbers your chin.

Now I have the Liquid Force Supreme. The fit is great, but has no pocket. I wish it had one to carry the phone on down winds or foil long distance rides.

Kiteaddicted
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Te Atatu, Auckland
St Kilda, Melbourne
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airrush Switch twin tip
Naish Global Surfboard
9m Slingshot Rally
12m Airush Union
18m Airush Lithium Zero

Postby Kiteaddicted » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 am

I like the mystic impact vest. Certainly doesn't ride up. If I needed extra storage, check out spi belt. It's like a flexible bum bag. May not fit everything you need but an alternative for consideration.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am

The two I know that might fit the bill are:

http://forward-wip.co.uk/en/4-50n-impact-vest.html
and
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kitesurf-ve ... 06024.html

Both seem to have pockets front and back

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Topaz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 am
rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm
The problem with the backpack is that it's hard to fit well over the vest, if you still want the vest for flotation or impact protection.

I had the NP High hook and didn't like it either for the same reasons. It rides up and rubbers your chin.

Now I have the Liquid Force Supreme. The fit is great, but has no pocket. I wish it had one to carry the phone on down winds or foil long distance rides.
I have a mesh backpack that I use for downwinders sometimes. I ziptie the straps to the shoulders of my vest and the bottom of the pack to the lower part of the back of my vest. Obviously I can't access it while riding, but works great for carrying a drybox for phone and stuff. The only downside is that when you do a group downwinder everyone sees it and you become the gear Sherpa. Mine always ends up with more of everyone else's gear than my own. (glad to be of service :D )

I do think a vest made specifically for kiting with several pocket options would be great.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I like this one. I'm thinking in getting one. Has anyone tried it?
Their website says is ok for kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”