Pemba
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Piq, Xensr or Woo?

Postby Pemba » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 pm

I guess it might depend on the defenition of the word "toy". Maybe there's an age restriction to it etc. We can all look it up and find out who is the real winner of this argument. I can't really be bothered. Maybe you're right, and a kite is not a toy but a Woo is. I'm just surprised that some people appear to get almost emotional/angry trying to convince others of what is either just an opinion or simply verified by looking up the definition. And definately off topic.

deniska
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm

You know the difference between a man and a boy? - Only their toys! :-)
For 99.99% of people kites are recreational equipment. Unless you are a pro kite boarder, making money of it - they are TOYS.
Same goes for Ferrari-es.. If you are not a pro racer or use it as a commute car - it's a TOY.
WOO is a toy for most except maybe Lewis G who makes money off it.
And it has nothing to do with precision, set of features etc - JUST HOW THE OBJECT IS USED.
You can't say WOO/PIQ/TRACE/XENSR is a toy just because it's not precise for your liking.. cause by same token LHC at CERN will be an even bigger toy.. Yes they pee of excitement whenever they get 25% experimental confirmation on what they expect...

kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm

And u will buy a clock that dont know if its correct...😀😀, 😂😂 exuse me whats time is it?
Its 5.15 5,40 4.45...
Ok thanku
😁😁😁

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:46 am

kiterocky wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm
And u will buy a clock that dont know if its correct...😀😀, 😂😂 exuse me whats time is it?
Its 5.15 5,40 4.45...
Ok thanku
😁😁😁
Lots of opinions. Here are some facts (on 2 x Woo1 done back in 2015). Looks very consistent to me.
http://www.wetestkites.com/wetestkites. ... st2_v2.jpg

I really don't care if my "17m" (according to Woo2) is actually 15m. As long as all my 15m jumps show "17m", i.e. the devise is consistent between my jumps and other's, then you can compare.

deniska
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:59 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm
Its 5.15 5,40 4.45...
Ok thanku
😁😁😁
Good clock example..
Well that clock will work perfectly for people on Caribbean islands as it will still do better than looking at sun, etc..
So yeah it will be useful for some if it's affordable enough. Not everyone needs nanosecond precision, you know..
You'd be probably surprised to know that most of expensive hand made tourbillon watches, selling for thousands $$$ have worse precision than that $5 electronic watch.. but "suckers" still buy them.
but back to your point: hand-crafted masterpieces aside, there is a correlation between price and performance. It's perfectly possible to create a height sensor with centimeter precision, but will you be willing to pay thousands of $$$ for it?
So Woo/Xensr/Piq picked the price /precision point where they thought most sales would be..
makes perfect sense to me..

Largorn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot

Postby Largorn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 pm

What is the point of this discussion? With that reasoning people would probably also never buy a car, because it needs maintenance and breaks occasionally, but their $8 watch doesn't…
Don't feed the trolls.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Leksdalsvatnet
Favorite Beaches: Leksdalsvatnet, El Medano Tenerife, Flag Beach Fuerteventura
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone edge 19 32m lines
Core XR4 13.5, 17 27m lines
Core XR3 9, 12, 15 27m lines
Crazyfly Raptor Pro 137×43
Slingshot Glide 149x46 LW 2006

Postby Guttorm » Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 am

Found this on the Facebook Piq forum now.

PIQ Robot now works with Apple Watch: See your speed in real-time on your wrist, and get your full session on your phone as usual. Track your speed and plan your records more carefully now!
For Android users: keep good memories of your rides: you can now add more photos to your session details.
For both platforms: in case you see a suspicious height measurement among your jumps, you can delete them from your session details BEFORE saving it in order to keep your stats and the leaderboards clean!

UPDATE YOUR APP AND RISE UP THE LEADERBOARD!
👍

patelis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby patelis » Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Xensr is a cool gadget but from a company without support , read my post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2399334
On the other side Piq sensor is also a cool gadget but no gps functionalitys ,BUT the best support ever , they send me new piq because i lost it free of charge with free shipping.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2014 Naish Antic 142, 2017 Core Choice 2 142

Postby dracop » Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 am

Xensr is having support issue

the PIQ forum is loaded with people having major charging issues. The PIQ device (called a Robot) uses a special recharge clip device that then plugs into a USB. That charger/battery device is giving those of us on the PIQ alot of grief.

Not sure the details of the new Woo altho Woo def has the best social scene associated with its device. Whats the point of stats and scores if you cannot compare it?

That being said, the PIQ has helped me progress. The real time display showing height has given me instant feedback on my jumps - this helps me do training sessions where I train up my Big Air jumps. Specifically, it has helped me dial down approaches and timing to load/pop off a kicker and boosting once airborne. My jumps have def gotten huge and its easy for me to isolate what is working and what is not in near real time as I do not have to wait for my session to end to get numbers like the Woo (by which point you have forgotten what time you did what jump at).

So as a training tool, I like the PIQ better but for friends/social, I like the Woo better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”