Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Piq, Xensr or Woo?

Postby CaliRider » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:38 pm

deniska wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 am

So a few crashes and the watch may give up being so water resistant..
Not sure why Xensr decided to bet on it..
the xenser guys are working with apple. :o https://www.wareable.com/apple-watch/xe ... h-labs-205 holy sheet man! :thumb: who knew that our little sport would attract a company the size of apple? and apple is working with them and not the other guys. Apple has run tv ads with their app!! thats rad! (and did you see the sweetie surfer in the ad. :heartface: ) 8) Im gonna go out on a limb and say that if those guys are working with apple then its 100% kosher to use the watch for kiting. My nerd friends say apple is touchy about stuff like this and theres no way apple would even approve their app if it was bad for the watch.
deniska perhaps they know something you dont. Like a lot of something you don't.

I love my apple watch. Im using it right now. are you using your piq or woo or trace right now? :lol:

flixern
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Norway
Gear: Cabrinha, Best, Ozone, Liquid Force and RL Variofoil (Kitesyndikat)

Postby flixern » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 am
Priceless example of someone asking a question, getting some useful responses before the thread gets sidetracked by some form of localism based on the science of ‘post count’ as an Indicator of some such rubbish or other. Same philosophy would ban beginners I suspect. Lol.

I have a PiQ. I can’t jump for toffee, go rarely but it makes me happy. 😀😉😂.

Moving on from baiting certain folk (guaranteed you’ll respond), Flixern, I thought this started out as a very interesting thread and did get some interesting feedback from those with actual insight from using the products...i.e. the objective of the thread. Boom.
I agree. The objective of the thread has indeed been reached! That's why I thanked everyone with last reply before commenting @downunder childish mentality :)

Hard to find a good conclusion on which of the three brands to buy, when everyone has different opinions... Someone mentioned buying the gadget that my friends use. That might be the better option 8)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium, 12m Flite. Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, King Gee,
Mako Duke

Postby matth » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 pm

The new WOO will be Apple watch and Android wear compatible, with real time stats.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013

Postby CaliRider » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 pm

matth wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 pm
The new WOO will be Apple watch and Android wear compatible, with real time stats.
yeah, and you gotta buy a whole new woo for that. $249 after the $249 you just spent last year.oh and you have to buy a watch so thats $249 plus the $249 from last year and another $249 for the watch. HOLY SHEEET! Oh and still no gps maps and speed with the woozer. hahahahahaha buy just an iwatch instead and get the freeeeeeeeeee session app and get it allllllll ... actually, get the tinder app for your apple watch and get some hookup!! the higher the jump, the more swiping right! LOL so much winning.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium, 12m Flite. Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, King Gee,
Mako Duke

Postby matth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 am

CaliRider wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 pm
matth wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 pm
yeah, and you gotta buy a whole new woo for that. $249 after the $249 you just spent last year.oh and you have to buy a watch so thats $249 plus the $249 from last year and another $249 for the watch. HOLY SHEEET! Oh and still no gps maps and speed with the woozer. hahahahahaha buy just an iwatch instead and get the freeeeeeeeeee session app and get it allllllll ... actually, get the tinder app for your apple watch and get some hookup!! the higher the jump, the more swiping right! LOL so much winning.
Do you need a device on your board for the sessions app to record jumps, or does the watch do it all????

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 am

flixern wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 pm
apollo4000 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 am
Priceless example of someone asking a question, getting some useful responses before the thread gets sidetracked by some form of localism based on the science of ‘post count’ as an Indicator of some such rubbish or other. Same philosophy would ban beginners I suspect. Lol.

I have a PiQ. I can’t jump for toffee, go rarely but it makes me happy. 😀😉😂.

Moving on from baiting certain folk (guaranteed you’ll respond), Flixern, I thought this started out as a very interesting thread and did get some interesting feedback from those with actual insight from using the products...i.e. the objective of the thread. Boom.
I agree. The objective of the thread has indeed been reached! That's why I thanked everyone with last reply before commenting @downunder childish mentality :)

Hard to find a good conclusion on which of the three brands to buy, when everyone has different opinions... Someone mentioned buying the gadget that my friends use. That might be the better option 8)
That's funny.

Quite strong views from someone who 'just' joined the forum. Are you the OP friend? Launching a new device from Scandinavia (you guys sounds like kick starting and doing a market valuation, remember my 'click bite')?

I'm still waiting to see how can any gadget improve ones kiting? Can you enlighten me please.

It is childish to think that it does. Other than time tracking, it's childish device all together. Fun factor is there, but other than that it's a child play.

You need to ask yourself if someones offered you $300 to spend on water (that's buying days of kiting somewhere) or $300 to spend on a device, what would you do? Sure, if you have a disposable income, I get it. Every year one has 300 to spare, so I guess it's easy decision. What is the return of investment? Oh, I ask to many questions.

Have one for 2.5 years now, using it less and less. I do not need a 10 seconds of fame on the leader boards, or reading a huge jumps which never happened.

So, if you think that I do not need to question accuracy of reading the jumps, well, that's only your opinion. As I said, whatever makes you happy, who am I to judge your happiness?

But, I reserve my rights to question the usability all together.

Mind you, if I was glorifying a gadget, it would be different story. Sorry, not into pimping but real life reviews. On that note, I'm out :bye:

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013

Postby CaliRider » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 am

matth wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 am

Do you need a device on your board for the sessions app to record jumps, or does the watch do it all????
its all done on the watch! 8) its totally rad. the app on the watch gives your jumps height an airtime, speed with gps track and distance and also does all the health stuff calories kcal stuff. stomp a landing and see your jump. seriously simple and works slick. id never spend 250 on a woo and the iwatch is something i use every day. has leaderboards too but i don't really care about that stuff but some so. cant beat that. oooo and the app is free. free man like freedom free. one of the locals i know were drinking and chatting about the wooozie3 and he was gonna get it and i was all like 'dude! you will have spent like $$750 with those silly things and you use it only when you kite? wtf man!? and then it hit him. holy sheet he says ... this is d'ing stoopid after a few more beers we walked over to the apple store and he bought a watch3 on the spot. like a bosssssss! first thing he did was download the app. boom, ready to rock and roll. :jump:

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:18 am

downunder wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 am
That's funny.
Quite strong views from someone who 'just' joined the forum. Are you the OP friend? Launching a new device from Scandinavia (you guys sounds like kick starting and doing a market valuation, remember my 'click bite')?
I'm still waiting to see how can any gadget improve ones kiting? Can you enlighten me please.
It is childish to think that it does. Other than time tracking, it's childish device all together. Fun factor is there, but other than that it's a child play.
On that note, I'm out :bye:
It's a real pity that this thread was dragged off-topic by a post-count egoist, who:
* Insists on getting “proof” that devises can improve jumping (even after Eckhardt, myself and others offered opinions on how it can)
* Throws a “click bite” (is that “bait”?) conspiracy theory at everyone who recently joined the forum
* Assigns a “childish” label to everyone who does not agree with him.
And then leaves.
I guess that’s one way to up your post counter...

Back to the topic: Flixern, you mention that you are a part of a student group in Norway. There’s been a few Woo-based contest here that were quite popular (for spectators and participants). You can setup leader-boards for a spot or contest for a particalur day/weekend. Might be of interest to your group (and improve your jumping while having a bit of fun ;)).
The Woo2 around here has dropped in price by around 30% - guess there’s a Woo3 on the way. So they can be found second hand for even cheaper or new for around 230 USD.

Nice review here:
https://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/acces ... -2-0-2018/
CaliRider wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 am
matth wrote:

its all done on the watch! 8) its totally rad.
I’d question the accuracy (or rather consistency) of jumps measured off a wrist-based accelerometer (like iWatch with Xensr app). If you want immediate feedback, a board mounted Woo3/Xensr + Watch is probably best. But like I mentioned, I never feel the need to look at screens (phone/watch) while out kiting. But after the fire’s going and the first beer is open, it’s fun reviewing your session and comparing to other’s.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 am

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 am
matth wrote:

its all done on the watch! 8) its totally rad. the app on the watch gives your jumps height an airtime, speed with gps track and distance and also does all the health stuff calories kcal stuff. stomp a landing and see your jump. seriously simple and works slick. id never spend 250 on a woo and the iwatch is something i use every day. has leaderboards too but i don't really care about that stuff but some so. cant beat that. oooo and the app is free. free man like freedom free. one of the locals i know were drinking and chatting about the wooozie3 and he was gonna get it and i was all like 'dude! you will have spent like $$750 with those silly things and you use it only when you kite? wtf man!? and then it hit him. holy sheet he says ... this is d'ing stoopid after a few more beers we walked over to the apple store and he bought a watch3 on the spot. like a bosssssss! first thing he did was download the app. boom, ready to rock and roll. :jump:
I find it hard to hear any praise for Xensr at the moment. I feel as though my money is being used to fund software on apple watches instead of send out devices that people have paid for. Have a look at their facebook page and its full of people asking where their device is. 12 months ago they launched a new version of the on board sensor and I have been waiting ever since for mine.

I have to wonder how they will continue to fund their servers which store all the(your) data if they are no longer selling units (or at least supplying the ones they have sold). Woo are continuing to make and sell boxes so you can see how they intend to fund it. PIQ piggyback onto an existing platform that delivers to Golfers so their market is enormous. I just can't see how giving away a free app is going to keep the lights on when they aren't earning any other revenue as far as I can see.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am

Hmmm I don't know anyone locally that bought the $250+ Woo thats still working and not died..

That's Value for money in anyone's books !

I did buy a $8 waterproof watch from the local supermarket, that's still going strong after 3 years..

My watch is waterproof, the numbers go round and round..

My Woo is dead, nothing works on it.

Like Mopman.....
I'd be sceptical about the consistency and the accuracy of dead - non working Woos that people have payed top dollar for ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”