New board advice? CF Raptor LTD?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

New board advice? CF Raptor LTD?

Postby kitejumping » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Everyone!

So I pretty much only snowkite and have a 10 year old anti-g kiteboard 130x39 that I use on water when traveling a few times a year, the bindings on it are wearing out and looking at boards lately, it seems like the trend has gone towards bigger boards? I weigh around 185 and have never had any problems riding in super light wind conditions as I travel with a 9m, 14m, 20m race foil quiver.

Anyways, wondering if all the new features on kiteboards (mainly the double concave channels) make a significant difference? Using race kites i've never had any problems rocketing upwind, but something that smooths out the chop a bit when going really fast would be nice. Was debating between a NHP carbon or CF Raptor LTD carbon, both seem to get good reviews. Anyone have any experience with these boards? It looks like I would have to size up for both, not sure which size to go with on the raptor, 132 or 136, are there any disadvantages to riding a larger board when you're used to a small one with big kites?

Thanks!
Mike

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New board advice? CF Raptor LTD?

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 pm

The new boards with channels are great for cutting smoothly through chop. I've ridden and like the CF LTD, but I think it can sometimes feel stiff with all the carbon in the layup. I really like the quad concave Axis Limited (Axis Vanguard is also good) in a small size (132) with bigger kite. It really cuts chop and is very smooth without losing its responsiveness. I weigh 175 and frequently ride in choppy conditions. In chop, I'd rather have a smaller board and rig a larger kite. Sessions are just more comfortable and fun.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:33 am

kitejumping wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm
Hi Everyone!

So I pretty much only snowkite and have a 10 year old anti-g kiteboard 130x39 that I use on water when traveling a few times a year, the bindings on it are wearing out and looking at boards lately, it seems like the trend has gone towards bigger boards? I weigh around 185 and have never had any problems riding in super light wind conditions as I travel with a 9m, 14m, 20m race foil quiver.

Anyways, wondering if all the new features on kiteboards (mainly the double concave channels) make a significant difference? Using race kites i've never had any problems rocketing upwind, but something that smooths out the chop a bit when going really fast would be nice. Was debating between a NHP carbon or CF Raptor LTD carbon, both seem to get good reviews. Anyone have any experience with these boards? It looks like I would have to size up for both, not sure which size to go with on the raptor, 132 or 136, are there any disadvantages to riding a larger board when you're used to a small one with big kites?

Thanks!
Mike
Mike,
I think CF LTD is a great board. Very light, and performs great. I ride 137x42 board at my 200 lbs and I find it more fun to ride larger board with a smaller kite compared to opposite. I can jump and land every trick I do with my 170x50 Door (maybe with a bit more effort) so my advice would be - take a 135x41 or so which I consider appropriate size for 185 lbs. Disadvantage of a larger board is trying to hold the edge in nuking winds but I guess you can go in pretty strong winds on a 135x41

kitejumping
Medium Poster

Postby kitejumping » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:23 am

Cool, it sounds like the only downside to a smaller board is light wind performance? One loop of a 20m ultralight foil and even in 5 knots you're ripped out of the water. Leaning towards the 132 at this point.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:04 am

Hi
I'm a big fan of the Raptor LTD
Looks like they have changed the shape this year 2018, I've seen some good deals on 2017 ones.
Not read any individual reviews of the 2018, but the mags seem to like (now there's a surprise!).

The pre 2018's can be difficult to spot in the surf, being so dark, Definitely put your contact number on it and a bright sticker or two if you are likely to lose it a lot.

I'm much heavier than you ,so I can only tell you my experience regarding size, I had the 136 and 140. Hardly ever used the 136 (sold it) as the 140 did everything in the wind strength I needed.
I used it with 12m to 15m mainly.

Good luck with your choice.

Our full carbon top model received a brand new shape after seven years. When you make a good very good shape, it is hard to make a better one and we spent three years working on the new Raptor LTD. The 2018 Raptor LTD also comes in a brand new Neon version for customers who prefer better visibility of the board in dark water.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:19 pm

The CF Raptor LTD is, in my opinion, the single best board on the market and the new Neon color variant is awesome.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:38 pm

We just received a demo Raptor LTD Neon today and good winds forecast for tomorrow so hope to test it then.
I gotta say though the boards (as well as the kites) have so much quality to them, the little touches like the badges/logos etc very Gucci

kitejumping
Medium Poster

Postby kitejumping » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Went with a 2017 elite since they were on sale and only 150 more than the 2018 ltd raptors. The 132 was sold out so went with the 136, I think it will be close to 2lbs lighter than my 130 board lol. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber and looks like they use the same stuff on the top sheet as the high end Jones snowboards. Looking forward to riding it on a trip to South Florida in two weeks. Thanks for the info everyone!

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Had a quick session on the CF Raptor LTD Neon today..it was very cold so didn't have to long on it.
Rocks up wind, no spray, and very smooth all the things you'd expect from the Carbon Raptor, it felt very light under foot too.
I'm not a big fan of 5cm fins tbh and would deff change them to smaller fins but that's just personal preference.Image
The new Sculp is pretty damn sweet too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”