Forum for kitesurfers
Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Edge Armor Skin top

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:31 am

It sounds and looks like a great product. There's a lot to be said for a double layer of thermal protection. For some reason two layers seems much warmer than a single layer of equivalent thickness. When it's really cold water and air (mid-30s F) I wear a 6/5/4 wetsuit with a 2mm shorty over it. Unbelievably warm. I can hang in the water for an extended period without getting even slightly chilled, and on the beach, which is when the evap cooling effect really hits, I stay completely warm. Much warmer than what you would expect from an extra 2mm wetsuit. With just the 6/5/4 I'd be freezing while packing up. With the double layer I'm super warm. A thinner product like the one being discussed would be awesome. Gotta check this out. It's the same price as my shorty wetsuit was, and probably a lot more comfortable.

Don

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 pm

8mm of neoprene?! You should be able to live in the Arctic Ocean with that much rubber on.... :lol:
I can't stand wearing too much neoprene. The added weight and constriction just wears me out faster.

NP's 5mm wind skin suits are so fricken warm that when I kite among the ice bergs in the spring I have to stop and soak for a few minutes to cool down.

Yeah I owned an NP Edge Armor top. It was great. I'm 5'10 and 185lbs. I still went with the same size (Medium) as my 2mm Mission top. It stretches really well. Just like wetsuits, the better form fit, the warmer it is.

Hey Cab Drive, why doesn't NP make the Mission 2.0 top out of the Armor Skin? That would be awesome if they did. Those Mission neoprene tops are terrible in the durability department....

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 am

I have one of the NP tops and have used it for awhile. Its held up well and works great to keep the sun off but when it gets wet it will bring your body temp down in the cold. So, keep that in mind. It seems like it would also do very well as an under layer to prevent wetsuit itching for those with sensitive skin.

Return to “Kitesurfing”