Help /question with 11m torch 2013 when overpowered

forum for kitesurfers

Gpet78
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Help /question with 11m torch 2013 when overpowered

Postby Gpet78 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:29 pm

I have a torch 11m 2013 model, which is a very nice kite to ride and I had and I am still having a lot of fun riding this kite, I could say that this is one the best kites I ever owned. Although I cannot say anything good about the bar comming with the kite which keeps falling apart in many different places. So after many modification to the bar I had this strange behavior of the kite when I fly the kite in overpowered (+- 30knots gusty and shifting direction winds) : sometimes when fully depowered the kite collapses and folds as the two wingtips meet each other, I never had this issue with any other 5th -line kite I owned and I had the feeling that 5th line kites always keep their shape no matters what crazy things the wind is doing. I must mention that, I always inflate my C-kites super hard, I am a pretty heavy rider around 90kg and I have made modifications to the bar due to many different failures but I think I have kept the 5th line tention at the right level, further more I have not noticed any abnormal behavior or loss on performance in normal wind conditions or at the low end of the kite. So do you have any idea what the problem could be?

P.S. My 8m torch 2014 which I ride with the same fucking bar does not have this problem, when I had that kite 40+ knot gusty wind conditions.

BillyGoatGruff
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's

Re: Help /question with 11m torch 2013 when overpowered

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 pm

I have 2013 and 2014 Torch's. The 2013 Torch had a reputation for slightly backstalling occasionally when unhooking. My 9m 2013 Torch has had exactly the same happen once or twice in really gusty winds, I put it down to not inflating the kite enough. If all lines are correct the Torch is super stable and never collapes in on itself. May be you rushed and did not give it those last few critical pumps ? or check all the shut off valve on the struts are open (so the air pressuer is equal throughout the kite) ?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 pm

I had that kite..I loved it :-)
The first I would look at is LE pressure. So double check you pump it hard enough.
I never had it fold. Admittedly I can't remember riding it ultra overpowered, and it was always on the orignial bar...

Back in the day I do think torches from year to have has changed a little on the pressure it needs on the 5th. So what might work on your 2014, might not work for the 2013. I can't remember exactly from 2013 to 2014, but try to mod the 5th attachment point. Pull it in a bit to get more pressure on it, then maybe less? Remember the 5th is elastic so you it should feel quite tight.
Do you see of the kite buckles in the middle LE first? Or directly fold tip to tip?

Gpet78
Medium Poster

Postby Gpet78 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks for your replies, I think it was the extrimelly gusty wind (I cannot remember many days that gusty as the days that the kite colapsed) that caused the problem, maybe a bit more pumping might have helped. Just came out from a dream session with the 11m in flat water and strong steady wind, I think torch excells in this kind of condions but in conditions where the lulls are barely on the low end and gust are over the high end are very difficult to handle with C-kites in general and thats where the some sturdy 5-strut SLEs have a big advantage.

Return to “Kitesurfing”