Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does the core bar unwind your center line twists?

forum for kitesurfers

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Learning to tack on the hydrofoil
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade, 142x42 SS Misfit
Brand Affiliation: None

Does the core bar unwind your center line twists?

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:55 am

Core had a demo in the no wind zone here today, god bless them, lol. Rode a 12m xr5 in 16-18knots on my hydrofoil and then on the twintip, barely able to stay upwind on the TT but that's typically here as the current is brutal. Got some nice frontrolls on the kite tho in those conditions. Overall, the kite was good, nothing bad and nothing outstanding, I'm equally happy on my 12m sb. I'd need to see it at 22-25 knots. I was able to stay upwind in those winds which at 210 lbs is not easy on a 12m.

Anyway, I am not sure I am a fan of the release needing a twist, I didn't need to release, but weird....What really interested me was the ability to unwind the center lines with a bar pull in and out. I only did a few rotations and can't remember...does this really work? Do you just rotate and then move the bar and the center lines unwind? I have 2 center line ropes coming from my switch kite bar and could maybe implement this strategy they have with the metal rod in the core of the bar to do this, not sure it would work with pure dyneema rope tho as they have coated center lines coming from the bar. I'd like to get rid of my LF swivel as one has already broke and this one will eventually. I love having my center lines clean after rotations. Does this core bar actually work in those regards with a pull of the bar to unwind that?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'

Re: Does the core bar unwind your center line twists?

Postby grigorib » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:05 am

Yes. Just like Flysurfer bar it does ato-untwist the depower lines.

If it didn't feature turn-to-release, high-Y, $700 price tag and modular lines it would be a great bar.
Last edited by grigorib on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Learning to tack on the hydrofoil
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade, 142x42 SS Misfit

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:05 am

If it didn't feauture turn-to-release, high-Y, $700 price tag and modular lines it would be a great bar.
Forgive me b/c I've had a long week.....does the bar just untwist the depower rope or does it untwist the center lines as well? Maybe this is why I don't remember as the high Y. I'm now confused....does the segment above the depower rope and high y stay twisted and you just don't notice it b/c it is not near you?

roninXpl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, Nobile Split Carbon

Postby roninXpl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:08 am

The auto untwists is a feature of the Sensor Bar 2S Pro „Front line twists only occur below the Sensor 2S bar. An improved, below the bar, swivel with hi-tech ceramic bearings unravels the front lines virtually on its own or whenever the bar is pulled in. The days of manually spinning the front line swivel are over.” I love this bar, very lightweight and minimalistic.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:53 pm

grigorib wrote:

If it didn't feauture turn-to-release, high-Y, $700 price tag and modular lines it would be a great bar.
lol

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:22 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 am
grigorib wrote:

If it didn't feature turn-to-release, high-Y, $700 price tag and modular lines it would be a great bar.
Forgive me b/c I've had a long week.....does the bar just untwist the depower rope or does it untwist the center lines as well? Maybe this is why I don't remember as the high Y. I'm now confused....does the segment above the depower rope and high y stay twisted and you just don't notice it b/c it is not near you?
The depower rope on the Core bar doesn't twist above the bar (neither center lines twist - just all 4 lines wrap until you spin the bar or loop to reverse) but only the depower line below the bar twists after you spin the bar.
When you pull the bar towards you, the twist located below the bar untwists without having to pay any attention to it (ever). Brilliant as far as I consider.
Last edited by grigorib on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 am
does the bar just untwist the depower rope or does it untwist the center lines as well?
Depower rope below bar untwist when you pull the bar towards you.... the steering lines will remain twisted around the front lines
Simple spin of the bar cleans it all out

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Yes, pure dye... does work. But, when the centre lines are twisted, ie on rigging, no way to untwist.
However, with a mini 5th line on a FS bar v2, mini will twist around the centre line above the depower. Many, many times...
Duno about the Core.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Advance "JB-Weld Special" :) 140x40 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT

Postby gilana » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Yes. Ok I know I'm going to get flamed for not checking gear before going out but...I had to laugh.

A few weeks ago, three of us were out, I was on my Edge 9m and my friend was taking turns with me.
Another friend was there with his Core 9m XR4. While I was waiting for my turn on my kite, he came to the launch zone and said he was about to pack in, would I like to ride the Core, and his board. So in I hooked and off I went. After a few loops, the twin lines between the bar and the CL were twisted up, I looked down and saw an arrow sideways <- so I thought OK untwist manually..Big Mistake (I know you Core riders are laughing) I was riding powered, edging hard, and the bar just shot out of frame, jayzuz what happened? The kite flagged, landed and rolled over several times.
So, I recovered the bar on the flag line, and figured out it was a twist to release mechanism (that I had never seen) then hand-over handed to the high y and passed the bar through enough times to undo the rollover, I thought.
Let the kite drift away, front line yank to get it over to LE down, and relaunched, damn! one time too many the steering lines inside the front lines, shitt! Kite is now stalling as the steering lines had a longer way to go, and the trim was full, so depowered, and that let it fly again. Quick tacks back to the shallows, park the kite on its edge, and then front-line trip it LE down, while drifting, passed the bar a second time.

Friend came over to say WTF? so I told him. He laughed and said "You just pull the bar down" So off I went again, and looped the kite 3x spun the bar, then pulled down, Holy Moly it works!

Nice system, except for the High Y and the Twist to Release, that really sucks :)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 pm

:)
I did release accidentally before and I can imagine the surprise...

There’s something funny with the companies coming up with great kites and questionable bars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”