Forum for kitesurfers
mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Where's the freeride 5 struts kites ??

Postby mikelet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Amazed at how fast we ditched all the 5 struts SLE's and freeride kites from the market :o :o ,only Cabrinhas SB remaining with a médium AR , really??
I personally see the superiority of 3 struters ( or mono ) for lighter to moderate winds freeride or waves, but from 8m size to down if you do usually ride in gusty winds i really miss the stability and gust eating ability of the 5 struts kites , it's me or i find 3 struters on smaller sizes a bit twitchy for waveriding on onshore to side onshore winds moving the kite , they seem in the need of reaching the zenith urgently everytime you turn the kite from one side of the wind window to the other while on a good designed 5 struts you can pívot turn in the middle in the wind window while drifting ( talking always in higher winds )...
Curious to hear what do you think....

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where's the freeride 5 struts kites ??

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 pm

Slingshot rally, north rebel, core xr5 and ozone edge are all 5 strut.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:34 am

Switch Nitro still 5 struts also.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 am

Try the RRD Religion. You will see three strutted kites do not have to be inferior to five strutted kites. In any condition.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:53 pm

It appears to me that in the last couple of years there have been significant improvements in the design of 3 strut kites such that some 3 strut kites now overall perform as well as 5 strut kites with a performance bonus being that they are much lighter.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I said nothing about Ozone Edge, North Rebel, Switch Nitro cause while being marketet as freeride kites ,are high AR kites more focused on big air,jumps and speed.....SS Rally and XR5 more of a Delta kite ...none of them an allrounder focused on the freeride/wave....
And no,i don't see any improvements that makes 3 struts better in newer versions in ridigity of the frame and gust absorving ....the trend seems to go lighter and lighter to keep going with all the foiling fuss , i own V3 Reos and V1 ENDUROS , and there's even less Dracon patches in the newer versions, just take a look on the plan shape of most modern kites....again IMHO theres nothing wrong with some weight and reinforcement in kites from 8m down , Designed to take a beating in higher winds.....

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:08 pm

mikelet wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm
I said nothing about Ozone Edge, North Rebel, Switch Nitro cause while being marketet as freeride kites ,are high AR kites more focused on big air,jumps and speed.....SS Rally and XR5 more of a Delta kite ...none of them an allrounder focused on the freeride/wave....
And no,i don't see any improvements that makes 3 struts better in newer versions in ridigity of the frame and gust absorving ....the trend seems to go lighter and lighter to keep going with all the foiling fuss , i own V3 Reos and V1 ENDUROS , and there's even less Dracon patches in the newer versions, just take a look on the plan shape of most modern kites....again IMHO theres nothing wrong with some weight and reinforcement in kites from 8m down , Designed to take a beating in higher winds.....
Exactly what is your definition of the qualities which would make a kite "freeride". :?:

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 am

mikelet wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 pm
in gusty winds i really miss the stability and gust eating ability of the 5 struts kites , it's me or i find 3 struters on smaller sizes a bit twitchy for waveriding on onshore to side onshore winds moving the kite , they seem in the need of reaching the zenith urgently everytime you turn the kite from one side of the wind window to the other while on a good designed 5 struts you can pívot turn in the middle in the wind window while drifting ( talking always in higher winds )...
I really do not recognize what you are describing here.. Can you elaborate?
Let me try to understand and summarize: Twitchy means they try to use the zenith? And 3 strutters do this more than 5 strutters?
Stability, what happens when a 3 strut gets unstable? Do they shortly drift and cath wind again, invert or fall down or something else?
Last gust eating... a 3 strut maybe responds a bit quicker with acceleration in a gust than a 5 strut. When the gust is over the 3 strut needs to slow down and maybe drift back again a bit /more than a 5 strut.. is this what you are talking about and refer to as gust eating?

I really want to understand, i was looking for the dictionary on kite behaviour terminology in KF but did not find it. To understand each other terms like stability and twitchy should be clear.
And since I am not a native speaker...

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 am

doublepost

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:04 am

Double post...
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”