Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 2011
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gaastra X4 Barsystem

Postby tmbt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 am

Hi,
i'm wondering if someone can gives me advices about the Gaastra Bar X4 (it should be 2017).

I can buy it brand new for a really good price but i don't know anything about Gaastra quality/safety.

I will use it on my North Neo 7/9/12 . Is that ok ? I've read about low Y or high Y shape but i'm not so good to understand the techinal differences.

Should be better if i buy a north bar instead ? I can find North 2015 quad bar for a little more ...

Thanks

Mattia

Vindex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Farstad, Norway
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Palmones, Farstadsanden, Prassonisi
Style: Old School
Gear: Saul Custom, Best
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gaastra X4 Barsystem

Postby Vindex » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:57 am

I would buy the North bar. I rode Gaastra for 3-4 years. The older Gaastra bars plowed through depower rope like crazy and I also broke the safety line after some years. Nothing wrong with the bars other than that, but with other brands I have had later the lines never wore out or broke.
The North QR is proven and very good, the new Gaastra QR might not be as good.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Re: Gaastra X4 Barsystem

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Vindex wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:57 am
I would buy the North bar. I rode Gaastra for 3-4 years. The older Gaastra bars plowed through depower rope like crazy and I also broke the safety line after some years. Nothing wrong with the bars other than that, but with other brands I have had later the lines never wore out or broke.
The North QR is proven and very good, the new Gaastra QR might not be as good.
Sounds like a North groupie to me..

I have had line breaking only with a North Quadbar. No visible wear and tear. The depower rope is easilly replaced on the GA bar and when self manufactured cheaply replaced.
Nothing fundamentally wrong with the GA bar.
Both bars a single fron flagout. Only the height of the split of fronlines might differ. Some kites are sensitive to split height. (To an extend)
Why pay double for North?

Return to “Kitesurfing”