TRivers
Rare Poster
Gear: Bandit3 11m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby TRivers » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:45 am

Just reviving this thread to ask if there's any hack to re-glue the internal female valves? Guessing I'll glue it back on from the outside instead (like the self stick replacements). Not sure how to clamp/weight these down while the glue cures or how to get baking paper around the inside to catch the excess.

Did the external valves a while back, they were more straight forward: cleaned valve base & bladder, baking paper inside, glued valve down with a piece of tear aid sandwiched over the top for good measure, hole saw through a coaster size piece of wood & placed over valve with an upturned shot glass & 2kg weight on top. Left overnight then twist baking paper out through the valve with needle nose pliers.

It'd be easier to buy some self sticks but these aren't too brittle yet & I'd like to try gluing first if possible. Probably go the isolation route before spending $120+ on valves anyway.
Cheers

NoHater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, HI
Favorite Beaches: Kailua Beach, HI
Gear: 9m, 12m Slingshot Rallys, Mystic Harness, Cabrinha Spectrum 140/42, 6'2" Liquid Force Rawson Quad

Postby NoHater » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 pm

TRivers wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:45 am
Just reviving this thread to ask if there's any hack to re-glue the internal female valves? Guessing I'll glue it back on from the outside instead (like the self stick replacements). Not sure how to clamp/weight these down while the glue cures or how to get baking paper around the inside to catch the excess.

Did the external valves a while back, they were more straight forward: cleaned valve base & bladder, baking paper inside, glued valve down with a piece of tear aid sandwiched over the top for good measure, hole saw through a coaster size piece of wood & placed over valve with an upturned shot glass & 2kg weight on top. Left overnight then twist baking paper out through the valve with needle nose pliers.

It'd be easier to buy some self sticks but these aren't too brittle yet & I'd like to try gluing first if possible. Probably go the isolation route before spending $120+ on valves anyway.
Cheers
Question as to the viability of replacing these. I am guy who doesnt shy away from older kites (2014 and newer) if they are in the new/semi new condition. That being said my quiver is filled with kites that I picked up with less than a 10 session on each and put away. Of course the one item that arises is replacing valves. For me, replacing the normal one pump valves (slingshot for example) are simple.

I found a brand new 2015 15M Naish fly (holds air fine) for sale at a great price. Is it advisable to deal with these octopus valves or is it a hard pass as with any older kite they will need replacement sooner than later? I just need a lightwind kite and like the fly.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0

Postby seaplus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:11 pm

I started this topic 3yrs ago...
Every brand of kite will have valves delaminate and every brand is a chore to repair.
Using this "hack" makes it much easier and I would not shy away from buying older Naish kites.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:43 pm

NoHater wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Question as to the viability of replacing these. I am guy who doesnt shy away from older kites (2014 and newer) if they are in the new/semi new condition. That being said my quiver is filled with kites that I picked up with less than a 10 session on each and put away. Of course the one item that arises is replacing valves. For me, replacing the normal one pump valves (slingshot for example) are simple.

I found a brand new 2015 15M Naish fly (holds air fine) for sale at a great price. Is it advisable to deal with these octopus valves or is it a hard pass as with any older kite they will need replacement sooner than later? I just need a lightwind kite and like the fly.
I would not worry too much. I mean you might have an issue like any other older kite, but the fly has decent sized struts, and there are only two of them, so the points of failure are fewer.
Fly also happens to be a pretty fun kite. Fast for its size. Great for light wind fun TT in Kailua for sure.
As with any kite in HI it also depends on how it has been stored. Huge difference between being put in the trunk of a car and cooked for a few years or if stored in a climate controlled environment.
The octopus system is not that hard to fix...I'd say once you have done it once, you'll find it it is just about comparable to any one pump system.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
NoHater (Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”