Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

forum for kitesurfers


espana23
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby espana23 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:41 am

Hi,

I am new at kitesurfing and looking to buy my first used board. I weigh 75kg, interested in freeriding and was advised to get a 140cm board with medium rocker (wind conditions at my spot are 13-23 knots). Which brands of kitesurfing boards are considered the good ones?

Thanks.

Archer77
Medium Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr v5 17m
Ozone Catalyst v1 12m, 9m
Shinn Bronq 135/41
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby Archer77 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 am

among the best rated on forums and reviews:

Shinn Monk
North Jaime

starting doesn't need a very specific board, just medium/big size, squared, far better fiberglass/paulonia wood than carbon

than if you want to go deep:

https://www.progression.me/blog/what-de ... kiteboard/

espana23
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby espana23 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 am

Archer77 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 am
among the best rated on forums and reviews:

Shinn Monk
North Jaime

starting doesn't need a very specific board, just medium/big size, squared, far better fiberglass/paulonia wood than carbon

than if you want to go deep:

https://www.progression.me/blog/what-de ... kiteboard/
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any information available as to how board brands rank in regards to popularity?

andylc
Frequent Poster
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Ozone Enduro V2 8m, 11m
Flysurfer Soul 12m
Lieuwe Shotgun 132
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby andylc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05 am

If you're new to kitesurfing I would suggest you get a fairly cheap second hand board at an appropriate size for your weight. Wait until you are progressing and then spend more money on a board to keep going with. If you're like most of us you're very unlikely to stay with your first board for all that long - you'll almost certainly want to get a slightly smaller and better board once you are getting confident.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:01 am

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby sarc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Shinn Monk great board, but a poor choice for a beginner.
I understand the Monk performs best when it's ridden flat-out. Espana, choose a cheap board, at 75Kg width maybe 40cm. Google the board and stay away from freestyle boards (specialized performance), prefer freeride boards (wide performance range). Make sure that footstraps/pads are in very good condition!

espana23
Rare Poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby espana23 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info guys. What about the brands though? Other than Shinn and North, what other brands do you recommend? Any brands you think I should stay away from? And since this can be subjective, I would maybe look at it from the standpoint of quality, popularıty, reputation and market share.

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:55 am
Kiting since: 2004
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Ozone, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hants UK

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby badgb21 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Agreed.
Oh and put some tape on the deck with your name and number on it. Might help you get it back if you lose it.
andylc wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05 am
If you're new to kitesurfing I would suggest you get a fairly cheap second hand board at an appropriate size for your weight. Wait until you are progressing and then spend more money on a board to keep going with. If you're like most of us you're very unlikely to stay with your first board for all that long - you'll almost certainly want to get a slightly smaller and better board once you are getting confident.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:28 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash Global, Skater, Motion
Location: Hamburg

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby Dirk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:10 pm

It does not matter. Get a freeride model from any brand: Naish, Cabrinha, Core, RRD, Slingshot, F-one, Crazyfly, North, Shinn, Airush...which ones did I forget? :lol:

Archer77
Medium Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr v5 17m
Ozone Catalyst v1 12m, 9m
Shinn Bronq 135/41
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby Archer77 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:37 pm

espana23 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 am
Archer77 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 am
among the best rated on forums and reviews:

Shinn Monk
North Jaime

starting doesn't need a very specific board, just medium/big size, squared, far better fiberglass/paulonia wood than carbon

than if you want to go deep:

https://www.progression.me/blog/what-de ... kiteboard/
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any information available as to how board brands rank in regards to popularity?
yes but doesn't mean really something... just to understand most popular brand maybe if you need an idea of the existent brands
https://www.iksurfmag.com/awards/

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium, 12m Flite. Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, King Gee,
Mako Duke
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which brands of kitesurfing boards and considered the good ones?

Postby matth » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Lots of great boards out there from all the big name brands and many smaller brands...Find the right size, and a good all around freeride board and you will be good. Like others have said, do not spend a lot on your first board. Go with a used board or something new on close out.....YOU WILL MOST LIKELY LOSE YOUR FIRST BOARD...


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Nem0 and 18 guests

cron