JaDan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: 7M Naish Ride
Brand Affiliation: None

Healing power of sugar?

Postby JaDan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm

I was going to start a thread on suggestions for
What to do with minor cuts and scrapes acquired while kiting.

I'm always concerned about going back into the water the next day. I don't like the idea of leaking blood into the water and becoming shark bait.

I came across this article ,
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2018032 ... eal-wounds ,
which I found interesting, just wondering if anyone else had heard of this before.

I have seen a liquid band-aid before, but haven't tried it.

What do you guys do when you get a cut?

ThickAir
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Healing power of sugar?

Postby ThickAir » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Don't know about sugar, except that I like eating it, but a couple coats of liquid bandage is awesome for reef cuts.

tkachuk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry, Wasaga, Sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay Turks, Crandon FL, Silver Sands Barbados
Style: carving my jibes on TT, boosting
Gear: CORE, Shinn, Flysurfer Sonic 2

Postby tkachuk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:37 pm

An unpublished, non peer-reviewed study based upon 41 patients? Voodoo medicine until proven otherwise.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Most important thing to do is wash it with soap and water and get any debris out. Irrigation with 10% Betadine as well. Basically keep it clean and antiseptic so you don't get an infection.

Aside from the above hygiene I leave minor cuts and scrapes alone and don't stress about going in the water.

If there is enough of a problem that skin tension or normal movement separates the wound edges, but not enough to consider suturing the wound I like superglue. While holding the wound edges together, a layer of superglue on the skin can hold everything together. You don't want to get it down in the crack of the wound but just on the surface of the skin.

By superglue, I mean cyanoacrylate based glue commonly available in a hardware store for about $1 a tube.
https://www.grainger.com/product/3EHP9? ... 30150714:s

Dermabond is an octyl-cyanoacrylate. Its a lot more expensive but makes a more flexible film so its nicer.
https://www.usamedicalsurgical.com/derm ... gJ0NPD_BwE

I'm fighting a nasty cut on the bottom of my foot right in the arch. Its deep enough that a few sutures would have been the right thing to do. I just put it back together with Tisseel. The stuff is magic!

BTW, for medical advise [kite-forum > bbc >> daily-mail]

phpBB [video]

Archer77
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr v5 17m
Ozone Catalyst v1 12m, 9m
Shinn Bronq 135/41

Postby Archer77 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:07 pm

I can 100% guarantee you that sugar is in no way healthy most of all eat isolated

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Advance "JB-Weld Special" :) 140x40 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT

Postby gilana » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm

I don't know much about Sugar, but I want to contradict some info above.

My wife and I live permanently at sea on our sailboat. We spend a lot of time in the water, kiting, spearfishing etc.
Here is what we have learned:

Any disinfectant containing Iodine (Betadine etc) should not be used to disinfect a coral injury.
Coral polyps which are microscopic, love saltwater, warm temperature, and iodine.
We have noticed the healing of coral injuries is slower when using iodine.

For stings, on basically anything that can sting you, from jellyfish to stingrays, the treatment is heat.
Millions of years of evolution between the temperatures found in the sea has limited these creatures cells ability to handle extreme temperatures.
The nemaoblasts, nematocysts, basically stinging cells are made up of various parts, but the venom is usually a protein.
They are triggered in various ways, electrical, chemical, physical etc, but are not triggered by the same salt water they live in.
Any chemical, ammonia, pee, windex, whatever, is more likely to trigger a mass discharge of venom.
We use the same sea water, heated to about 40 degrees C which is about as hot as you can handle, it must be uncomfortably hot!
It changes the protein already injected, and that on the surface to endoplasm, basically soup, and as such cannot sting you any more.

If we are out snorkeling, and far from the main boat, we will take a wet rag, and hold it on the engine block of the outboard motor to heat it. If near home (the sailboat) a wet rag in the microwave, or in a pot on the stove. Fresh water also works but not as well. 3 or 4 applications will suffice, relief is almost immediate.

Its important to be has hot as possible without actually burning.

HellYeah
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Hatteras SC.
Favorite Beaches: South Padri Island, Aruba, Maui, Cape Town Africa
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Cabrinha
Slingshot
Naish
Brand Affiliation: Starbucks

Postby HellYeah » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:24 pm

gilana wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm
Millions of years of evolution between the temperatures found in the sea has limited these creatures cells ability to handle extreme temperatures.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 am

Liquid band-aid works very well

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 am

sugar Is hygroscopic, so high enough concentration of it dessicates/kills bacterial cells. Hence preserves, etc.

But if you don’t want to turn your own tissues into preserves, it’s not the optimal choice for treating wounds.

The heat denaturivg venoms is gospel though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”