Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Replacement swivel for 4line flag out

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Replacement swivel for 4line flag out

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 pm

I have this swivel and it's damaging my lines. The end of the sleeving gets damaged when I pull it back through after it gets pulled through the swivel often when I land the kite. Also the sleeving on the flag out line and eventually the line itself gets worn by the bar ie the wing on the swivel. On the pic you can see the flag out line but I have not pulled it back through so you can't see the sleeving. Thinking of replacing with a liquid force swivel. Anyone know if it works with a 4 line flag out system and if it would solve my issues please? Actually not too concerned about having a swivel just something that works with a 4 line flag out system.
Attachments
IMG_20180122_145512.jpg

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Replacement swivel for 4line flag out

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 pm

I have been kiting for a long time and I don't think there is such a thing as 4 line flag out.

LEI kites flag out on the front lines either both front lines for older kites or a single front lines for pretty much all current kites.

Foil kite sometimes flag out on the rear lines. some kites with 5 lines flag out on the single fifth line. Some older kites had oh shit handles and could flag out on a single rear line.

If you keep all four line engaged and under tension there cannot be any flagging out.

You could replace your swivel with a better one or if you want to get rid of it many older bars used one ring and a ball or 2 rings.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:09 am

Sorry meant a 4 line kite as opposed to a 5 line kite. My kites flag out to a single front line.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 am

The best swivel is one that's not there. They never work well anyways. Just get rid of it and replace with ball/ring or ring/ring safety.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:04 am

I agree with about above about best swivel beI got non-existent, but would add that most modern bars now have a below-the-bar manual swivel, and these are good . My 2017 liquid force bar has a below the bar untwist.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 am

I think (except for Switch which I would not recommend) they are all equally good (or crappy). I think all the manufacturers are using off the shelf sealed (but not hermetically sealed) abec 608 something like that ball bearings which yeah they are sealed but they aren't properly sealed for kiteboarding use, so sand always eventually gets in there. I know some of them are using ceramic ball bearings but it doesn't matter if they they aren't sealed tight enough. Seems if they were able to design to spec their own ball bearings, everything would work great. Seems they work better if you are careful about cleaning and lubing them but I never did that, so they always got crunk on me. Anyway, I would go for the Naish probably shouldn't eat your lines because at $50 or so it's one of the cheaper ones.

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm

sarc wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 am
The best swivel is one that's not there. They never work well anyways. Just get rid of it and replace with ball/ring or ring/ring safety.
Don't suppose you have a pic of how this works? Sounds like the best way to go for me.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SLiiCK » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm
sarc wrote:
Don't suppose you have a pic of how this works? Sounds like the best way to go for me.
I’m the same as Sarc always replace mine with a ring there’s no friction on release, I self land 99% of the time and the kite drops straight down on the leading edge( except the odd time when it rolls over a few times then settles on the LE) the only down side is that if you rotate a lot the safety will wrap around the chicken loop or depower but I have fitted a ring on my spreader hook that rotates around it eliminating this. :thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 pm
sarc wrote:
Unhook the lines from the swivel and rehook them to the ring. Run the flag line through the ring. Just make sure the ball does NOT fit through the ring. Done

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”