5 ways to self land - Tutorial

Forum for kitesurfers
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: 5 ways to self land - Tutorial

Postby PullStrings » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm

The nice advantage of last method walking up the lines and staying hooked in all the way to the kite is....

...that once the kite is LE down you can detach from chicken loop and lay the bar a top of kite canopy keeping it clean and free of sand

Go then get your board and put it near kite...transfer bar to top of board....you'll never have to rinse your bar again that way

Do the same thing if someone you trust offers to catch your kite

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:22 am
foam-n-fibre wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 am
When hooking to a fixed object, don't disconnect the leash and hold the flying kite just by the unhooked chicken loop. Hmmm... what could possibly go wrong? Why disconnect your 2 connection points before attaching one of them to the anchor? Even when hooking to that log, if you take the leash off, hook it to the chicken loop before you unhook.
Very true. ....

Although, I prefer to stand to the WINDWARD side of the stake/object instead of leewards, as then there is no risk of me getting tangled in anything and no need to run around the object to the windward side to get my kite. Besides, I also always connect the object line to my loop before unhooking like you say......
+1 :thumb: :thumb: Always attach first, then disconnect from chickenloop, and keep to windward for the entire process.

If I am feeling particularly risk-averse, I will sometimes hook 2 connection lines to the fixed object: one to attach to my chicken loop and the other to attach to my flag-out line. With this set-up, the kite will flag out and remain secured if, for some reason, the chicken loop opens or its attachment line fails. This may seem like overkill, but it adds another layer of safety/security to the tethered landing approach.

Brin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Auckland, New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Maina Iti Aitutaki
Waionui Lagoon
Style: easy
Gear: north rebel , evo, jaime
Has thanked: 0

Postby Brin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm
The last one is the worst...please dont desconnect the safety..if something go wrong and the kite catch the wind u can use the quick release and avoid to catch people downwind.....dont disconnect

Brin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Auckland, New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Maina Iti Aitutaki
Waionui Lagoon
Style: easy
Gear: north rebel , evo, jaime

Postby Brin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 pm

yomotha wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 pm
Not everyone at the beach is a kiter. I'd prefer to self land than have a non-kiter attempt to grab my kite incorrectly (which is often the case) causing more issues.
Oops, put my reply in the wrong place initially...

Totally agree......many times I've seen very sketchy landings when neither party knows quite how the other is going to handle the kite......why take the risk if there's a safe alternative?

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm
The nice advantage of last method walking up the lines and staying hooked in all the way to the kite is....

...that once the kite is LE down you can detach from chicken loop and lay the bar a top of kite canopy keeping it clean and free of sand

Go then get your board and put it near kite...transfer bar to top of board....you'll never have to rinse your bar again that way

If you drag the bar there is too big possibility for steering lines to get caught on something on the ground and kite get totally out of control.
Would not recommend this for anyone.

I use this method as shown on video alot, just unhook everything including leash and walk up the front lines. Never had any issues, but you have to know what you are doing.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Where I kite I am usually the only person around for thousands of meters. If the kite flies away it will just get caught in some trees. That's why I have to self land in the first place. If there's no danger in a full release, just my humble opinion, it's better to be completely disconnected from the kite. When you are kiting solo like this it's not like anyone is going to come save you if you get a deathloop and the leash release fails. I get it a lot of kiters on this forum like to self launch and self land even when there are other kiters around because I guess the other kiters are idiots? Obviously if there is someone out there who is not a kiter, then you do have to self land, you can't ask a non kiter for help in anything, they will just get you or them or both hurt. Sounds weird to me for someone to be a crowded beach where there's nobody to land your kite, but I guess that's where a lot of people kite. I understand now why everyone likes to stay leashed when you self land, the worst thing you can do is hurt a bystander. By the way when there is a crowded beach and no helpers, the easiest way to prevent a bystander from getting konked on the head is to flag out on the water and swim in.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:18 am

Turbaani wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:15 pm
PullStrings wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm

If you drag the bar there is too big possibility for steering lines to get caught on something on the ground and kite get totally out of control.
Would not recommend this for anyone.

I use this method as shown on video alot, just unhook everything including leash and walk up the front lines. Never had any issues, but you have to know what you are doing.
My bar is not dragging on the ground at all...it is in the hook with chicken loop & donkey stick...it's stay a good 2 feet away from touching anything but my legs
Been doing this many many many times and i recommend it...that's why it stays clean and there is no need to wash/rinse the bar

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:33 am

so many wrongs things in this video. Horrific and dangerous.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:52 pm

so many wrongs things in this video. Horrific and dangerous.
Oh my God! The horror, the horror! Maybe just you are being a just a little melodramatic? Please tell us how you foil boarders in Phuket do it, or shut up if you have nothing to add. What exactly is so Horrible? The video is just summary, of the common techniques we all have been doing for a long time. I do not see any difference from a hundred other videos out there.
One thing I understand in kiteboarding, is what works in one place may may not be the best in another. Maybe I have rode enough different places to get that. I do not get why some kiter from Phuket thinks that what they do is the best for some kitesurfer in South Africa, or twin tipper in the Gorge, or lake rider in Michigan. However, for some reason a lot of people here think what works on there beach is best for all. This is the best! This is the worst! I can tell you my conditions are not like yours.
My question is for those who walk the lines as in the last technique, what has go wrong? I have done it up to 30 kts, and a couple times the kite has relaunched when holding the two center lines. There was no Horror. My hands were not ripped to shreds, it did not lift me off the ground. It just came back down pretty hard on the opposite side of the window. Am I Super Man and the only person who can hold a flagged out kite? Same with anchor launching/landing. I have seen in done a thousand times with no problems, but I see people here claim cars and picnic tables have been thrown in the air. Again, I understand my conditions may not be like yours, and I am not doubting, just curious.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:34 pm

IMO don't bother with the 4th one...overfly/collapse....i see often people fail... the kite may not stick LE down...what happens next is kite tumbleweed roll down into power zone

Go straight to walk the lines instead and practice controlling the balance of kite on it's ear....the more practice you get...the more confidence you will have

Land at window edge...stay hooked with donkey stick in place...trim at full depower...let bar go completely....walk upwind 1 or 2 meter...let kite settle 5-10 seconds...relax

The moment you trust that all is safe / kite has calmed down...don't detach from kite and make you way up both front lines from base of V (if there is one )

The less the wind speed ...the further from the kite you will be able to yank on the top line to make the LE go down to the ground

In much stronger winds you might have to go all the way to the kite's bridle (if there is one) using the top line only for the last 10 ft

You should be able to land a 12sqm in 20-25 kn... a 7 sqm in 30-35 kn once you have become advanced by practicing that same move over and over and over

Return to “Kitesurfing”