Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

5 ways to self land - Tutorial

Postby Toby » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:42 pm

5 ways to self land - Tutorial

This tutorial explains 5 methods of self landing. It shows the technique for each of these self landing options: Self Rescue, Quick Rescue, Anchored, Overfly & Collapse and Line Walk.

It explains which of these are safe and which are risky, and looks at the wind speed and skill level required.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: 5 ways to self land - Tutorial

Postby edt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:30 pm

I was going to say something but decided against it.
Last edited by edt on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm

The last one is the worst...please dont desconnect the safety..if something go wrong and the kite catch the wind u can use the quick release and avoid to catch people downwind.....dont disconnect

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:40 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm
The last one is the worst...please dont desconnect the safety..if something go wrong and the kite catch the wind u can use the quick release and avoid to catch people downwind.....dont disconnect
If there are other kiters around . . . . why are you self landing?

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby yomotha » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Not everyone at the beach is a kiter. I'd prefer to self land than have a non-kiter attempt to grab my kite incorrectly (which is often the case) causing more issues.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm
First off ...the last method is the best...so get good at it...all should learn it... that's how you will become advanced...it's the only one in my book

And yes... do not disconnect....stay in the chicken loop with donkey stick in place...that way you can hit the QR just in case you need to have control of a runaway kite

Walk up "both front lines" hand over hand at steady pace going slightly upwind more and more ..the bar will just stay in your hook laying on your legs...as you do your thing

I really high winds i have walked successfully all the way to the bridle and put kite LE down

Yes...beach goers have priority and their safety is number one ... never land a kite if there is someone within 50 meters downwind of your chosen landing spot
Last edited by PullStrings on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:27 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm
First off ...the last method is the best...

Walk up the top line hand over hand .....
Hey, Pullstrings. Clarification, please? What you've described doesn't seem consistent with the video. By "top line", you mean......???

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:49 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:27 pm
PullStrings wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm
First off ...the last method is the best...

Walk up the top line hand over hand .....
Hey, Pullstrings. Clarification, please? What you've described doesn't seem consistent with the video. By "top line", you mean......???
You are correct i wrote it wrong !! what the heck !!........i will edit my earlier post...thanks !! :cheers:

The "top line only" part is at the very end when you want to keep going to the bridle in very strong wind instead of just tugging on it hard and make kite fall LE down 25 ft away

So it is "Walk up both front lines hand over hand at steady pace "...be confident and trust your grip :thumb:

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 am

When hooking to a fixed object, don't disconnect the leash and hold the flying kite just by the unhooked chicken loop. Hmmm... what could possibly go wrong? Why disconnect your 2 connection points before attaching one of them to the anchor? Even when hooking to that log, if you take the leash off, hook it to the chicken loop before you unhook.

Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:22 am

foam-n-fibre wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 am
When hooking to a fixed object, don't disconnect the leash and hold the flying kite just by the unhooked chicken loop. Hmmm... what could possibly go wrong? Why disconnect your 2 connection points before attaching one of them to the anchor? Even when hooking to that log, if you take the leash off, hook it to the chicken loop before you unhook.

Peter

Very true.

Excellent tutorial by the way, to show the different options :thumb:

Around here, for waveriding, we use the stake/fixed object method almost 100 % also if other kiters around quite often.

Although, I prefer to stand to the WINDWARD side of the stake/object instead of leewards, as then there is no risk of me getting tangled in anything and no need to run around the object to the windward side to get my kite.
Besides, I also always connect the object line to my loop before unhooking like you says Peter.

Of course, unhooking first is maybe a tad safer IF something goes wrong and this is why it is shown I could think, but it will happen now and then that it "slips" out of your hands if you use this method every time you are out, and then you have a big risk of destroying your gear, for no reason, as you could just have clipped the line (or leash on the object now) to your loop just before unhooking, standing to windward :D

Apart from that option on the stake/object method missing, great tutorial.

For hydrofoiling the very last method shown, flying the kite down and pull the upper line to position LE to windward when on the ground, is used mostly, apart from when small kites below 6 m2 as too windy.

With foilkites on narrow beaches another method where you fly the kite down on its side, and catch a thicker front bridle line around a stake, is used by many foilers here so the kite flags out nicely.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”