Grand Cayman next week

Forum for kitesurfers
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Grand Cayman next week

Postby bkkite » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:13 pm

I ended up going there in April too, and it was ok. Out of 4 days, I got one day on a 12, and one day on a 17m. I rode barkers, which was beautiful, but a little crowded between the horses and the other kiters getting pushed close to short by the on shore winds.

It is beautiful, and I was I had time to go to the east end. Really loved VIVO cafe for breakfast before barkers.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Grand Cayman next week

Postby RickI » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 am

I was on Grand Cayman on Friday, then moved over to Cayman Brac for a couple of days before heading back to Florida after the weekend. I was expecting even lighter wind in Brac and so only brought a 19 m Cab Contra and a relatively short travel split board. The combination worked well. I launched and rode off White Sands Watersports at East End. Tons of flat water with waves outside.

Riding over the reef around high tide.

The wind was light once I could get out on Brac. The sargassum bloom in the Caribbean is particularly bad this summer. Despite that heavy accumulations like this are patchy. Brac has few sand beaches useable with the normal tradewind directions unlike the several spots on Grand Cayman.

I put in some free diving on Cayman Brac including this Russian destroyer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”