Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New TT - Regular Raptor/ Naish / North?

Forum for kitesurfers
WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Style: freeride
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New TT - Regular Raptor/ Naish / North?

Postby WindS4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 am

Hey All, Ive been riding a CrazyFLy Raptor LTD for the last few years and it is fantastic. (the all black full carbon one) It charges upwind unlike previous TwinTips I've owned, tracks really well and has excellent pop and control..Its also super light.. I should mention Im 44, (getting older) and at the end of last season, if it was blowing or choppy, (8 /10m weather) my knees would kill the next day, literally hobbling around. It felt like I was skiing moguls for 12 hours.. Anyway, a few people mentioned Carbon is very unforgiving, and I thought I should explore a plusher ride. 12 Meter kites are our most ridden size here. 12-14M, we are only on 8 and 10s during good fronts, so I need a board that goes upwind well, as the breeze isn't always super strong. I also dont want to give up good pop... Any ideas? My TT sizes have typically been 136-139. I am 165 lbs. Would a regular Raptor been a good call? Naish Motion or Monarch? North Xride, Select or Jaime? Ive never ridden any of those. I also cant demo any around here, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New TT - Regular Raptor/ Naish / North?

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 am

The monarch is a chop eater. Feels in so much control for boosting in chop. I've never been able to go that fast in chop and still feel like I'm in control for big jumps.
Every time if I ride a board that felt easy on the knees the pop would lack. On the monarch it's just there, ready for you to load up.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
mkNY (Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:22 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:20 am

I am quietly searching for a different twintip and have been in touch with shops about it. The Monarch wasn't recommended to me as being very comfortable to ride. High performance but there's friendlier boards in the Naish line-up that are high performance as well. One particular shop mentioned the Mega, a model from 2-3 years ago, as being very easy to jump and a bit friendlier. I am interested to hear how you rate the Monarch wrt easy on the knees Taut.

Something else: I hear the Shinn Ronson is a nice combination of forgiving and high performance. It's on my list to test. If there's ever any wind over here...

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:39 am

I think the Mega was the predecessor to the current Drive which is the carbon version of the Motion. For me the Motion is pretty high performance already and very comfortable to ride (73kg). Have a look on YouTube for the review of the current Motion by REAL watersports. He rates the Motion higher than the Drive.

I also rode the Monarch for two years. Very nice board, also in chop but overall more physical to ride.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am

If you want something special I can wholeheartedly recommend a Lieuwe board. I just got a Shotgun having been riding a Jaime for some time. Apart from being bombproof and a work of art it rides amazingly, great in all conditions, definitely the best board I have ridden. I prefer it with smaller fins than stock but that’s just my preference for a looser board.
Florian will also custom fit the screw inserts if you prefer particular straps (I like the North Entity’s). Custom artwork is also available if you want it.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 am

I had same problem with same board, I have a dodgy knee and I made it flare up doing something else.
I searched around and wanted the best of both worlds - performance and easy on the knee(s).
Eventually went with a Shinn Bronq and it was very close to what I wanted.
With more rocker and flex tips, I found I needed a bigger Bronq than the LTD
The difference on the knee and other joints after a windy session was huge.
- Just not the crispness of the LTD
My knee calmed down and I went back to the LTD.

I look after my knee now and so sold the Bronq, now ride an Elite.

I would hold on before you sell the LTD, your knees may well get better and there will be smoother water days when you can enjoy it.

I noticed a Bronq for sale the other day;
https://www.silentsports.com/Kiteboardi ... /KMS17BQ2/

Good luck with whatever you go for and let us know what you chose and how it went.

WindS4 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 am
Hey All, Ive been riding a CrazyFLy Raptor LTD for the last few years and it is fantastic. (the all black full carbon one) It charges upwind unlike previous TwinTips I've owned, tracks really well and has excellent pop and control..Its also super light.. I should mention Im 44, (getting older) and at the end of last season, if it was blowing or choppy, (8 /10m weather) my knees would kill the next day, literally hobbling around. It felt like I was skiing moguls for 12 hours.. Anyway, a few people mentioned Carbon is very unforgiving, and I thought I should explore a plusher ride. 12 Meter kites are our most ridden size here. 12-14M, we are only on 8 and 10s during good fronts, so I need a board that goes upwind well, as the breeze isn't always super strong. I also dont want to give up good pop... Any ideas? My TT sizes have typically been 136-139. I am 165 lbs. Would a regular Raptor been a good call? Naish Motion or Monarch? North Xride, Select or Jaime? Ive never ridden any of those. I also cant demo any around here, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:24 pm

I was also riding a carbon twintip just for the shake of being carbon.

I was expecting great pop for being able to jump at height do kiteloops which is what I like the most and what better for that than a carbon tt? The problem was that landing hot was super painful. And riding in choppy conditions not very pleasant.

Last year I changed the carbon tt for a Shinn Ronson and what a change! Landing hot now only hurts a bit and riding in chop is a breeeze. Also an unexpected advantage is that you can load and pop it in rough waters which was almost impossible with my previous carbon board.

What I lost changing from carbon tt to Ronson?
The Ronson don't have the lightess and easy to pop feeling of a full carbon tt, it's more likely to sticking to the water than a fctt. Also the upwind of the Ronson, being not bad, it's not at the level of a fctt.
Water

Popstartotty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling
Style: Powered free ride waves
Gear: Naish / Shinn

Postby Popstartotty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:25 am

andylc wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am
If you want something special I can wholeheartedly recommend a Lieuwe board. I just got a Shotgun having been riding a Jaime for some time. Apart from being bombproof and a work of art it rides amazingly, great in all conditions, definitely the best board I have ridden. I prefer it with smaller fins than stock but that’s just my preference for a looser board.
Florian will also custom fit the screw inserts if you prefer particular straps (I like the North Entity’s). Custom artwork is also available if you want it.
Hi I’m here with my finger hovering over the “buy” button on a lieuwe board - m coming from a Ronson which I love for its softness and pop but am looking for something a bit more speedy better up wind better carving but still reasonably good through chop - is a shotgun my new board??

Popstartotty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling
Style: Powered free ride waves
Gear: Naish / Shinn

Postby Popstartotty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am

WindS4 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 am
Sounds like a Bronq would go really well for you just get a slightly larger size than you would normally ride. They are fast, light and have good pop for a board that rides so smooth. Buttery and fast. The Ronson is really good too just not as fast but unbelievably comfy considering the lift you get when you stamp the back foot. I’m currently investigating Lieuwe Shotgun too.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 pm

I ride an old massively rockered Naish DUB in chop. While it requires more kite in lighter conditions it is really easy on the knees and you can find one for under $200 on the used market.

Return to “Kitesurfing”