Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New TT - Regular Raptor/ Naish / North?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New TT - Regular Raptor/ Naish / North?

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 pm

BudhaNi,
I think Dirk is right on the money with respect to the boards...

I just want to add, I have historically liked stiffer boards so take that into consideration..it might be because I'm...fa..ehhh...heavy. I had the Mega, and personally like the Monarch slightly better. I feel like have more control and I do not think that it is so much stiffer that it makes a big difference. Loading up in chop tho, I think the Monarch is better. I have never been able to go as fast in chop and still feel like I am not about to crash.
The landings with the monarch as far as I can perceive is at least as soft as on the mega. I am by no means a TT expert so it could come down the differences when I rode it. Riding the mega I liked it, but I did miss the monarch.

The Motion has surprised me a lot. I do not own that board, but I liked it a lot when riding it. To say it this way, if I were to buy another TT it would probably be that because it is different enough from the monarch...it feel soft, but controllable. I did not ride it super loaded up tho. It kind of felt a bit like the old SOL board, but with edge to jump well something I could not do on the SOL (I'm a thorn kind of guy).

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 pm

Osprey1 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 pm
I ride an old massively rockered Naish DUB in chop. While it requires more kite in lighter conditions it is really easy on the knees and you can find one for under $200 on the used market.
hah. This was the board I used boots on. Super fun, but damn I crashed soooo hard. Personally I like the Monarch better. :-)

WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Style: freeride
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WindS4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 am

Thanks for all the perspectives. I do dig the Lieuwe board, though I dont know if I need a full custom ride - would be nice. I spoke with a few shops around the country and a lot of them kept mentioning the North Jaime. Anyone beg to differ? I ride Naish kites, so would consider them, but a few mentioned they felt the Naish boards were stiffer than North? Shinn boards do seem very popular as well... I know my kids would vote for the Monk what with the sneaky Gorilla Face on the bottom! Havent heard anyone ya or nay on a regular Raptor... Thanks again for all replies.

Obe_1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan, LaVentana, Hatteras.
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Shinn Monk, Ocean Rodeo Flites & Roam, Cabrinha Drifters, Blade Trigger, Slingshot RPM & Misfit, Groove Skate foilboard, Lift 150 V2 & 170, Liquid Force Rocket Foil, Overdrive

Postby Obe_1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 am

WindS4 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 am
Thanks for all the perspectives. I do dig the Lieuwe board, though I dont know if I need a full custom ride - would be nice. I spoke with a few shops around the country and a lot of them kept mentioning the North Jaime. Anyone beg to differ? I ride Naish kites, so would consider them, but a few mentioned they felt the Naish boards were stiffer than North? Shinn boards do seem very popular as well... I know my kids would vote for the Monk what with the sneaky Gorilla Face on the bottom! Havent heard anyone ya or nay on a regular Raptor... Thanks again for all replies.
The Monk is a great board, especially if you ride in choppy or rough water. I owned a Jaime, sold it for an X ride. Sold that for a Shinn Monk (135x42) and would not consider going back. I weigh around 71 kg,156 lbs. The Monk holds an edge well in any water, rides very smooth and no spray in the face. If you ever ride with the afternoon sun in your face that can not be understated.
I rode both versions of the Raptor and the Shox. The standard construction worked better for me. I think the carbon works better for someone with more mass.
Would not trade the Monk for any of them.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 am

I don’t think you would go wrong with the North Jaime - definitely a great board for most types of riding. I was surprised how easily the edge and base scratches / dings - this was the 2016 model. If you want a long-lasting durable board be aware of this - after the first few rides and really just the odd scratch on some sand / shallow water it felt like the edges were made of cheese.
The Lieuwe board is not really a full custom board as such, in that you can just buy a standard board. The custom options are available and are especially useful if you want a particular brand of straps like I did. The quality of construction is way better that factory made boards and the price is not much different. Early on it’s easy to see this board will survive long-term use much better than the Jaime, especially when it comes to the edges and base finish. The ride is similar but I would say poss slightly better upwind due to the better channels near the tips, this also allows you to use small fins without losing any grip. I find it better in chop, and easier to load and pop with, smoother somehow.
Not tried any Shinn boards so cannot comment. Tried a Raptor Pro about 8 years ago and didn’t like it - felt slow and not lively at all. There’s a good chance they changed a lot since then though.

WindS4
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bayley Beach, Calf Pasture,
Favorite Beaches: North Sound Virgin Gorda, Hatteras, Pocomo MA. Long Beach Turks
Style: freeride
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun, SS dwarfcraft Foil, Naish Kites

Postby WindS4 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 pm

So now Im intrigued by the Lieuwe Boards..What are they made of- Just wood and fiberglass? Its mentions 4 layer fiber ber?! Its def you're favorite ride? Thanks for the suggestion.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:42 pm

I’m also interested in the shotgun board now having read the comments. I want a fast board. I ride a radical 6 flysurfer at the mo it is a great board for control and shinn works and shapes with flysurfer but though extremely comfortable it isn’t that fast and doesn’t grip hard for pop though the pop is ok. It’s also 42cm wide and I think over 41 and it slows the ride.
Thinking perhaps a 138x41 shotgun. Will I get the extra speed and grip from this? It is a shame they seem to be charging nearly a grand for a board now like the other fat cats now they are established couple years ago they were a more acceptable £600 odd. Can get a monarch cheaper so possibly between those two. I have ridden the jamie. It is a little looser than the radical 6 a nice all around board. Little more grip for pop than the radical. Never been able to demo a monarch though.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:42 pm
I’m also interested in the shotgun board now having read the comments. I want a fast board. I ride a radical 6 flysurfer at the mo it is a great board for control and shinn works and shapes with flysurfer but though extremely comfortable it isn’t that fast and doesn’t grip hard for pop though the pop is ok. It’s also 42cm wide and I think over 41 and it slows the ride.
Thinking perhaps a 138x41 shotgun. Will I get the extra speed and grip from this? It is a shame they seem to be charging nearly a grand for a board now like the other fat cats now they are established couple years ago they were a more acceptable £600 odd. Can get a monarch cheaper so possibly between those two. I have ridden the jamie. It is a little looser than the radical 6 a nice all around board. Little more grip for pop than the radical. Never been able to demo a monarch though.
Yes. The Shotgun's huge grip means that you can drive the board very hard at silly speeds with the confidence that it won't let go.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm a gear whore let's get the obvious out of the way right off the bat. Buy to try is something that is necessary really where I live without a kite shop/demo anywhere close. So no biggie, I flip them if I'm not all in. I've owned too many twin tips, including:
Liquid Force Pickle fork
Liquid Force Lithium 133
Hana Crew something or other?
Shinn Monk 134
Shinn Supershinn 135
Crazyfly Raptor LTD 136
Nobile 666 132
Nobile NHP 134
Nobile NHP Carbon 134
Nobile Flying Carpet
Nobile XTR 140
Axis Limited 136
Axis Limited 138
ASP Stealth 135
ASP Stealth 144
North Jaime Textreme 136
Carved Imperator 6 139
Carved Imperator 6 137
Carved Imperator LW 145
Naish Monarch 135
Naish Drive Carbon LTD 137

(So don't show my wife this list....)

At any rate, short and sweet: you don't need carbon. I love all things carbon because I love the strength to weight ratio, looks cool and is very responsive. Being a mountain biker it's hard to not love it. In kiteboarding, I don't think it's necessary. My favorite board was still my Axis Limited 136. Yes carbon, however my buddy's Vanguard (same board, non carbon) rode every bit as well. Sure the Limited was lighter and maybe a touch stiffer, but it really doesn't make that much difference. In fact a couple boards I had in carbon were much worse. (sorry Nobile NHP.....I wish I kept you in the non carbon version)

Now I might contradict myself and say all carbon boards aren't unforgiving planks. Done right they are light, snappy and forgiving. I really like the couple of Brokite boards I rode a few years ago. Super light, forgiving and responsive without the punishment.
My Drive carbon is pretty forgiving and rides well. I'm sure the Motion is even more comfy.
Monarch..........what can I say. This thing is a monster that was purpose built for hauling ass, jumping and Kevin launching into big chop. It doesn't care about your old knees or forgiving the landings. (it's not that bad actually...) It just goes upwind great, it's fast AF, goes through chops like a torpedo and has about the most locked in edging I've had on a twin. (the 55cm fins are a MUST!) I'm probably too old, too unrad, and not the level rider to be riding it, but I don't care. I'll always have a Monarch in the quiver. It's just weird and fun enough to keep.

Lieuwe boards are extremely interesting to me......seem to get glowing reviews from everyone. So if it were me, I'd take a ride on one if possible.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
GJibb (Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 pm

I had a North Jaime before my Lieuwe and quite apart from the latter being a much nicer board to ride, and with great build quality I can second that the Jaime had really fragile construction. Edges and base were not at all durable. This might have changed since but I doubt it.

Build quality quite comparable to skis - I have had a pair of handmade Icelantic skis for just over 10 years. They were marginally more expensive than mainstream skis when I bought them but the build quality is incomparably better and they have stood up to years of abuse that would have killed a pair of Salomon’s or insert name of any other big brand here. I sadly had to bin them this year because I had killed 3 sets of bindings over the years and I couldn’t drill a new set in the right place any more.

Return to “Kitesurfing”