Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Convert 2016 Best GP bar to four lines possible?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Convert 2016 Best GP bar to four lines possible?

Postby Peert » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm

oshaugho wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 pm
Hi Perrt

Are you saying that the flag out line with front line attached will not pass through the quick release and therefore only flags 3m? If so then it will not depower correctly.

I was under the impression that if I attached the flag out line to a front line and removed the fifth line then it would work line any other 4 line single line flag out system.
Yes that is what I was saying.
Your impression was indeed wrong. It flags indeed a limited couple of meters.

See the pictures of the red bar system for reference..
The hole in the QR is similar size as the hole in the black splitter... that is the reason best uses a separate line that reaches the powerline higher up (without knots and pieces) and is attached there (6,5 meter) higher up...
Attachments
IMG_20180416_204133.jpg
IMG_20180416_204138.jpg
IMG_20180416_204321.jpg

oshaugho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby oshaugho » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 pm

Are you talking about the 2015 or 2016 GP bar cause I think the quick release on the 2015 has a large enough hole for the flag line and knot to pass through bit the iron heart quick release the hole is too small.

swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Postby swimmer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 am

I have both 2015 and 2016 GP bars for my GP kites. I have only tested the 4line setup the 2015 bar.
The knot should pass through QR on both the 2015 and 2016 GP bars. I know this because when I flagged of my Ckites on the 5th line the connecting knot almost always ended up past the QR.
The GP's lines are thicker than the RP bar's lines so the bulkier knot it may indeed snag a bit on the entry hole on the QR.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:29 pm

oshaugho wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 pm
Are you talking about the 2015 or 2016 GP bar cause I think the quick release on the 2015 has a large enough hole for the flag line and knot to pass through bit the iron heart quick release the hole is too small.
All 2016/2017 material.. the north ironhart version...

Note you need a knot or something to stop the line in the Y splitter. Without a knot to stop the QR/single frontline in the Y splitter your single frontline will not respond to you pulling the depower rope...
This very knot should still be able to travel through the iron heart... Maybe possible but not ideal... that is why Best made the RED bar with a safety line that travels through the centre of the Y splitter and connect with a powerline several meters up..

qbanboy14
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha and crazy fly

Postby qbanboy14 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Anyone found a clean solution for this? The bars are now at 199 on their website.

qbanboy14
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha and crazy fly

Postby qbanboy14 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:21 pm

BUMP

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:02 pm

I have both the 4 and 5 line bars- the line quality is immense- easily the most rock solid lines I've ever seen. If I get time tomorrow I'll try and document the differences for you, including the flag line holes etc. I use the 4 line on my 11m kahoona and 14m SS rally and the 5 line on my 7 and 9m gp's. The gp's are absolutely wikid kites but don't offer a lot of hangtime. The 7m ate that storm 2 weeks ago- 55knts and only 40% depowered. I'll also compare the throw length and depower range- mainly because I'm not sure just how much the bungee system actually moves, it feels like a lot but that could very well be the kite. To be honest you won't get anymore for that money right now.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 am

I'll take the photos this morning and upload tonight. Sorry I've been crazy busy trying to sell my house. Got the day off today though ;) 21-25knt!

Best-Kiteboarding
Rare Poster
Gear: Best Kite, Best Board, Best Bar and Best Harness.

Postby Best-Kiteboarding » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Hello everyone,

This thread has been brought to our attention by one of our friends. We normally don’t intervene when it comes down to “tuning” and improving gear. In this special case however, we think it makes sense to comment on this as a Brand.

As mentioned in this thread, changing from our “old” Quick Release to the Iron Heart 4 brought a lot of benefits but the one downside is the reduced diameter of the bypass hole for the safety line through the QR. It went from 10mm on the old to 5mm on the new QR. When testing the same line set up we realized that the spliced bungee inside the safety line and the loop to loop connection between flying line and safety line wouldn’t travel flawlessly through the Iron Heart. As described here as well, the result is that when activating the QR, the safety line could get stuck at the height of the bungee or the loop to loop connection when running through the QR only allowing partial de-flagging of the kite. These 3m are by for not enough and can result in what is called a suicide loop of the kite with disastrous consequences.

This is why we clearly can’t advise anyone to make the conversion as described in this thread and must warn of the dangers implicated.

That said it is very interesting and assuring for us to see that you are basically having the same thoughts and draw the same conclusions.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Best-Kiteboarding wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm
Hello everyone,

This thread has been brought to our attention by one of our friends. We normally don’t intervene when it comes down to “tuning” and improving gear. In this special case however, we think it makes sense to comment on this as a Brand.

As mentioned in this thread, changing from our “old” Quick Release to the Iron Heart 4 brought a lot of benefits but the one downside is the reduced diameter of the bypass hole for the safety line through the QR. It went from 10mm on the old to 5mm on the new QR. When testing the same line set up we realized that the spliced bungee inside the safety line and the loop to loop connection between flying line and safety line wouldn’t travel flawlessly through the Iron Heart. As described here as well, the result is that when activating the QR, the safety line could get stuck at the height of the bungee or the loop to loop connection when running through the QR only allowing partial de-flagging of the kite. These 3m are by for not enough and can result in what is called a suicide loop of the kite with disastrous consequences.

This is why we clearly can’t advise anyone to make the conversion as described in this thread and must warn of the dangers implicated.

That said it is very interesting and assuring for us to see that you are basically having the same thoughts and draw the same conclusions.
Yaaaaaaa.......Those bungies never lasted for more than a couple of months anyway. Just pull out the stupid bungee, or better yet, replace that line with some 7/64ths Amsteel. If you go the new line route, you will need to splice at least the "Y" end. I actually use 7/64ths Amsteel as a wear sheath over some 800lb test dyneema so I don't have to change it out until the core is showing. But make sure you know what you are doing when splicing with a sheath as you need to make sure the load is transferred to the core. This is a safety line and it needs to be "bomber".

Return to “Kitesurfing”