Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Wiek Rugen, Agios Nikolaos Lefkas
Gear: North EVO 9m, 13m, Ozone Reo 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Old North trust bar with new EVO

Postby marq » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Hey guys,

Do you have any idea if the 2017 North Evo (13m) works with the older 2013 north trust bar quad 22m lines? If not, is it possible to adjust it?
And another question, the 2013 bar does not have removable pigtails (as 2017 newer bars ) so I cannot easily use extension lines to adjust the lines length to 24 metres. Do you have any idea how to extend the lines from 22m to 24m?
Thanks a lot!
Martin

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Old North trust bar with new EVO

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am

The Y split point moved up between 2014 and 2015 by about 2m. That shouldn't affect the way that the kite flies - or if anything should give you a little more power. Your real problem is the safety. 2013 bar was dual front line flag and the 2017 Evo is single front line flagging kite. The risk here is that the kite may not fully flag after you hit your QR and may still be partially powered.

You can't really extend the lines on a north bar (well you can but you'll change the flying characteristics). The kites are designed with a split point measured from the kite. Adding line extensions changes this split point.

marq
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Wiek Rugen, Agios Nikolaos Lefkas
Gear: North EVO 9m, 13m, Ozone Reo 12m
Has thanked: 0

Re: Old North trust bar with new EVO

Postby marq » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 am

Thank you for your reply! As I understood also from many other opinions on this topic here the usage of "low Y" bar with 2017 EVO should not be a problem. As for the safety I got inspired by the Vertical's post where he simply adjusted quad bar to single line flag out safety system:
download/file.php?id=62938&mode=view

I think i could use the original north safety pulley and stopping ball http://www.kitefly.de/north-stainless-s ... 780-1.html
The split point of original north 2016 quad bar looks like this http://en.kitefuntarifa.com/blog/images ... system.jpg

Do you think I can adjust the bar in this way? The only problem I can see here might be too short distance to spit point where the stopping ball is..

Return to “Kitesurfing”