Local Beach: Ebeltoft
Gear: rented
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Dash - is it good for beginner?

Postby 359Jack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Hey guys,

I'm complete beginner, completed a course with few water starts. I have been looking for Naish Pivot, but it is very hard to find for a good price here in Europe, got offered Crazyfly Sculps and Tango but there is no reviews for them.
Just today got good offer for mint 2017 Naish Dash with left over of warranty.

Can it be my first kite? The seller said that it is the mildest hybrid kite he has had and perfect for beginners, but of course he wants to sell it :))

Friend of mine that has been kiting said as well that should be fine and it is actually quite good to grow on.
My instructor at the course clearly said to steer away from C-type kites...

Do you think it is good idea to get the Dash ?

I want to learn to jump and do some tricks in the shortest amount of time :D

LorenzoS
Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016

Re: Naish Dash- is it good for beginner?

Postby LorenzoS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi bud,

I think it all depends on you more so than the kite. What's your background with board riding in general? Are you physically fit and agile? Remember that back in the days we used to learn on kites that nowadays are considered super radical and exclusive to the most extreme riders...

Typically a bow kite such as the Ride or Pivot would be more suited for a beginner but again if you feel like you've learned kiting fairly quick compare to your group and you've experience with other boards sports and have handled a kite before than I'd recommend you get the kite you want that is in line with your future ambitions.

Happy riding!

-Lorenzo

359Jack
Rare Poster

Postby 359Jack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks mate!

I went to 3 day course and rented gear several times later. Water starts are hit and miss..

It is too expensive to rent gear so I decided just to buy one.

Im 73 kg and quite in a good shape, not too old either :D

My friend is telling that I will outgrow kite like the Pivot pretty fast and if I want to do tricks in the future the "Draft" will be the perfect machine to learn on :))

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

If the price is right, sure. Its an easy to use kite, but fast. It packs a bit more punishment than the Pivot or Ride, but it is relatively easy to relaunch. If you plan to ride a TT and do tricks the Dash is a great kite. I do not see why you shouldn't use a dash. The Dash dna is from a c-kite, but it is definitely not a c-kite.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Dash - is it good for beginner?

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 pm

I dunno how you would outgrow the Pivot. Langeree won King of the Air on it. I guess I would not do freestyle on it, but then again it can do pretty much everything else.

...wait are you talking about the Draft or the Dash?

359Jack
Rare Poster

Postby 359Jack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:00 pm

What size are you looking at? In any case, If you already know you want to do freestyle and unhook ASAP, and don't mind taking a beating, then OK you could go for it if you're motivated. It is a very direct & super responsive kite though, so you need good kite control or will be punished for mistakes. And the bigger size shouldn't be kept at 12 in the lower range/gusty winds because they will hindenburg (fall out of the sky, leading edge first). In general, the Dash is a kite that you want to ride powered up, and needs to be ridden actively. It's an amazing kite if you know how to ride it.

359Jack
Rare Poster

Postby 359Jack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Wow, that would be interesting. :D Thanks for the tips!
So it is not at all "Sheet in n Go" kite ?
It is 9m and 12m hopefully is good for my weight of 73 kg Here the wind is in the range of 12-20 kn, sometimes 25 kn.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 am

If you are looking for used Pivots you could have a look here: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-naish-pivot/k0
Or put your request on the German forum here: http://forum.oase.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

I think you could progress on the Dash, Pivot would just be easier. And you will not outgrow that kite soon.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 am

359Jack wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:06 pm
Wow, that would be interesting. :D Thanks for the tips!
So it is not at all "Sheet in n Go" kite ?
It is 9m and 12m hopefully is good for my weight of 73 kg Here the wind is in the range of 12-20 kn, sometimes 25 kn.
No, the Dash is definitely not a sheet and go kite. The description on the Naish website sums it up pretty good:

Designed for experienced kiters that like to push the limits, the Dash is THE fast-steering kite that delivers powerful pull and an engaging ride.

Built to move, the Dash generates powerful pull with ample bar pressure and more direct feel, which makes for incredibly fast turns. Active riders that like to keep their kite moving will appreciate the quick steering and dynamic feel.

It's an awesome kite though, I love it. It's just not as beginner-friendly as other kites, so progression will be a bit easier and more forgiving on the Pivot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”