Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Safely self-launch with a line-mount GoPro?

Forum for kitesurfers
RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Safely self-launch with a line-mount GoPro?

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 am

I have a camrig and use it occasionally but only when I have an assist launch. The videos are by far the best you can get with a GoPro.

I would like to use it more but I self-launch frequently and it's pretty sketchy self launching with it weighing/tangling on your lines as anyone who has tried knows.

Does anyone have a technique or device that allows the to safely and easily self-launch with a line-mount GoPro rig? I would love to hear it.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Safely self-launch with a line-mount GoPro?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 am

Tethered launches help.

Palti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: No Beach near to my hometown
Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay, Agios Nikolaos, Milos Beach
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR 4 in 12/15/19, Core Choice 2

Postby Palti » Sat May 12, 2018 1:15 am

Hey
i only self launch my kites. I use some sand filled bags burried in the beach with a big metal hook used in climbing to connect the kite. Than i position the kite at the edge of the windwindow until its stable and than i go to the lines and connect than the Kitemount into the V. for me its the best method. no problems at all with this procedure. try it and you gonna see how good it works .
These users thanked the author Palti for the post:
Bill C (Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Wstt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 140
Local Beach: Kanaha
Favorite Beaches: Namotu
Style: Strapless Directional
Gear: Duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wstt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:11 am

I know I’m super late to this conversation but
I don’t see why self launching would be a problem at all if you setup with your lines upwind of your kite (as I do). The lines would already be clear of the GoPro and Camrig. Self landing I haven’t tried bc I don’t see how I can pull one centerline without it pulling both bc of the rubber things gripping the line.

I have a Camrig gen 4 line mount and with a GoPro hero 8, I don’t see anything a line could really snag on. There is nothing for it to hook on. I guess it could wrap on the edge of the camera, but it appears it would just slide off a second later.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:13 pm

I don't have the Camrig, I have the Noir Matter which is similar:
https://noirmatter.com/products/kite-line-mount

Basically, every time I self-launch with this mount I crap myself, but like with everything else in kiting it gets more routine every time. Like the advice above I prefer to use an anchor when using this mount (stress eliminated), but that's not always possible with certain wind directions. If not anchored, I rig the lines upwind to have it laid out, and I have also drift launched it in lighter winds.

When drift launching it you can grab the center lines above the bar to keep it from tangling, and I always have one hand on the safety in case I have to release.

You have to secure the mount to the stationary line (non-safety line) with another string in the event the mount pops out of the lines - which has happened to me once on a self-landing when I had to pull safety.

Also worth mentioning is that I only use this mount on my low-V kites - never on the high-Y kites - although I have seen other people use this mount on high-Y kites. On the low-V kites, you can reach up and grab the center lines above the bar, pull in and power the GoPro on/off and deal with any mount issues. With high-Y kites, you're stuck with how you left the beach which makes things more risky.

Return to “Kitesurfing”