2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: How dangerous is this?

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 am

bjw wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 pm
Wrap the kids in cotton wool. Stick em in a warm cosy environment with a tv and iPad.

If the kid died then I admit I am wrong.

https://flashbak.com/8-reasons-children ... -dead-323/
Dude you can't be fairdinkum comparing getting an injury to drowning in rough surf? There is a huge difference between grazin' ya noggin from stackin' ya pushie to a 20kg 6 year old getting pulled under in 3m waves with huge amounts of water movement.

I ain't no "Dad of The Year" and many times, 10 minutes after telling the missus they will be fine, I have been on my way to hospital with one of them. Its all about likelihood and consequence, and if the consequence is death and the likelihood is medium to high, as a parent it is irresponsible for me to let a child partake.

But no doubt I, myself alone will have a crack at stuff that has a bad consequence, much to the wife displeasure....

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Well,

Pic or it did not happen.

Ffs, how many of you are on a TT in 3m swell???

Anyone? None?

Never in my life seen a TT rider on that swell. And God, we have swell allright.

Here:
http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9144166

"Children as young as six can drive a kart which can reach speeds of up to 70 kilometres per hour. Once they turn seven, they can race the karts, but until they enter the 10-12 age category their engines are speed limited to about 70 kilometres per hour."

Read on, youll be surprised. This is way way more popular than we might think.

What about that parenting eh?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Huh, well,
I know this is a forum and everyone believes they are entitled to an opinion no matter how much or little they may know about a situation but
Most of you on this thread do not know the rider or his abilities or the child or his abilities or much of any other details of this particular situation. Might be really dangerous and a terrible idea or as a minority’s opinion might be just fine. They made it back and had fun after all. Everyone has different risk assessment and I’m not sure you all get to tell this dad how to raise his child based on your personal preferences. Yes, if something goes sideways everyone will feel terrible and some will blame the dad but it is a self limiting problem. Might not be up to you to try to police the entire world? For most here, it has nothing to do with you or your life?
Flame & troll on....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Knotwindy, the rider abilities really has no bearing on this at all. Shit can happen.
Secondly sure people has different risk assessment skills, the problem is of course that it impacts someone else. Just because you fathered a kid doesn't mean it is your right to endanger the child or do an 81st month termination of the pregnancy.

Also, sure we are here to share our opinion, its what a forum is for.

Whom ever posted the link about how you survived the 70-ties...we have all been in situations and yes most of the time it goes well, but the reason why people are wearing helmets while biking or skiing is because it actually saves lives. There is no reason why we should not learn from past mistakes.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Put an approved life jacket on the kid....was raised around sailboats..had jacket on at age 2 just walking around the boating club....age 6 was crew on my dad's racing dinghy...we capsized in some rough waters high winds several times

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 pm

3M surf? No life jacket on the kid? Seems unbelievably stupid no matter his skills.

Having said that - it's his child & should the worst happen he will pay a lifetime of misery & regret which would be totally on him, she'd just be dead. I wonder what the laws there would have done to him if the worst had happened? Manslaughter? Murder charges?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm

tautologies wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm
Knotwindy, the rider abilities really has no bearing on this at all. Shit can happen.

Sure it does. If he is well within his ability level he can handle whatever ‘shit can happen ‘. We all do this all the time.

Secondly sure people has different risk assessment skills, the problem is of course that it impacts someone else. Just because you fathered a kid doesn't mean it is your right to endanger the child or do an 81st month termination of the pregnancy.

Also doesn’t give you the right to interfere in someone else’s family Funtime because you think it is ‘wrong’.

Sure, but most helpful would be an informed opinion, not just random guess work without facts.

Whom ever posted the link about how you survived the 70-ties...we have all been in situations and yes most of the time it goes well, but the reason why people are wearing helmets while biking or skiing is because it actually saves lives. There is no reason why we should not learn from past mistakes.

Lots of folks still don’t wear helmets skiing even knowing the risks. Are you going to throw them off the hill because you think it is unsafe? Hard to know where to draw the line sometimes. I prefer to let people decide for themselves even though most are unaware, uninformed, slightly oblivious, dangerous & happy that way.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Chicken-loop wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 am
Depends on a persons risk appetite.

I have taken my kids for runs on the kite in a 2ft deep lagoon, but would never dream of taking them into the surf, nor would I leave them on the beach by themselves while I kite.

I’m no “Dad of the year” but I put my kids welfare above everything else.
^^^^
+1

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 pm
Huh, well,
I know this is a forum and everyone believes they are entitled to an opinion no matter how much or little they may know about a situation but
Most of you on this thread do not know the rider or his abilities or the child or his abilities or much of any other details of this particular situation. Might be really dangerous and a terrible idea or as a minority’s opinion might be just fine. They made it back and had fun after all. Everyone has different risk assessment and I’m not sure you all get to tell this dad how to raise his child based on your personal preferences. Yes, if something goes sideways everyone will feel terrible and some will blame the dad but it is a self limiting problem. Might not be up to you to try to police the entire world? For most here, it has nothing to do with you or your life?
Flame & troll on....
:thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:21 am

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm
tautologies wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Sure it does. If he is well within his ability level he can handle whatever ‘shit can happen ‘. We all do this all the time.

Also doesn’t give you the right to interfere in someone else’s family Funtime because you think it is ‘wrong’.

Sure, but most helpful would be an informed opinion, not just random guess work without facts.

Lots of folks still don’t wear helmets skiing even knowing the risks. Are you going to throw them off the hill because you think it is unsafe? Hard to know where to draw the line sometimes. I prefer to let people decide for themselves even though most are unaware, uninformed, slightly oblivious, dangerous & happy that way.
First of all, who said anything about interfering with family fun time? I am sharing an opinion a forum about a situation someone posted some information on. When that is said, would you have said something if you felt someone endangering a child? Or is your attitude "Not my kid so I don't give a shit what happens to it"? I am assuming we both have a threshold for what we think is acceptable. :-)

It is 100% irrelevant to the point of the memes if people use or not use helmets when the point is using anecdotal data to generalize a conclusion. Just because you survived not wearing a helmet doesn't mean everyone is safe and the people who make a science based decision somehow is wrong. We know why people are wearing helmets...it is because they work. Again I do not give that much of a shit about what people who are old enough to choose for themselves, but that is not the case here.

At the end of the day we only have OPs version of event, but it is more than enough information to have an opinion on Obviously given more info the opinion might change, but for me it would take quite a lot of additional info before I thought it was okay to take a kid of 6yr into 3 meter waves. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”