rmbkite
Rare Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Researching kiteboarding locations

Postby rmbkite » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm

First off I am 45 years old and have not spent one day in the water with a kite. I have always wanted to learn just never had the time and or finances. I am in a unique situation in that I live in Denver but I work for the airlines so it is very easy for me to grab a flight just about anywhere.

I am looking for a school very near an airport on the West Coast or Texas. I am looking for good lessons to buy equipment and then go back to the same area to practice on my own. I could probably fly to this location once a week. Honestly would prefer to bring my gear rent an uber or lyft or even take a hotel shuttle. spend 3 or 4 hours on the water go back to the airport and go home. On occasion if I have more time I could spend the night and a couple of days. Any ideas or recommendations?

Eventually will turn the knowledge into land boarding and kite snowboarding but honestly I would like to learn on the water first. Thanks

Rich

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Researching kiteboarding locations

Postby BWD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm

If you don't mind a wetsuit, PDX comes to mind.
Various options within an hour, lots of kiters, stores, etc.
Need warmer? Houston/Galveston could be good.
SF bay area could be good too...
But to really learn, you will probably need to commit to kiting several days in a row, preferably in the same/similar conditions and spot.
A couple long weekends could have you well on your way.
A few hours flying, then 4-8 hours to get to a spot, do a lesson, back to airport etc. would definitely be doing things the hard way.
You may not want to be in the cockpit after getting worked all day as a beginner, either.
not with me on board at least, thanks very much.
Better to plan first lessons and beginner sessions around a couple off days/weekends.
But if you aren't actually flying the plane, subject yourself to whatever ordeal you are willing to enfure, I guess....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm

rmbkite wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm
First off I am 45 years old and have not spent one day in the water with a kite. I have always wanted to learn just never had the time and or finances. I am in a unique situation in that I live in Denver
Denver? You should be snowkiting right now! Get it while it lasts.

Easiest way to learn how to water kite is to start with snow kiting, there are some reasons for this, I won't go into, but do it that way if you can. Snow kite first learn water later.

rmbkite
Rare Poster

Postby rmbkite » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Haha, not going to be working on the days I go kiteboarding. I will be sitting in the back of the plane on those days.

rmbkite
Rare Poster

Postby rmbkite » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Ok thanks. I had gotten bad information on that I guess. I was told water first because on land you learn some bad habits that can be hard to change.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Fly into Corpus (CRP). Google lessons in Corpus...you'll have many choices.
www.kiteboarding.com is the shop in Corpus and of course they offer lessons too.
It's windy there now and around July (when it gets super hot in central TX), onshore thermal winds build everyday after noon and blow into the early evening.
There are a few airbnb-s down there...maybe ask the shop about recommendations on where to stay.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm

rmbkite wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 pm
Ok thanks. I had gotten bad information on that I guess. I was told water first because on land you learn some bad habits that can be hard to change.
Nah! that makes no sense. get out on the snow while it lasts.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am

Fly to Brownsville, 30 min over to SPI.
Corpus would be your 2nd choice if it's too hard to get to Brownsville.

Having shallow water makes learning to kite much more enjoyable.

In Spring you could consider Pismo Beach if you really wanted to stay in Cali, I'd imagine harder to fly to San Luis Obispo though.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:22 am

rmbkite wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 pm
Thanks for the quick replies. Haha, not going to be working on the days I go kiteboarding. I will be sitting in the back of the plane on those days.
Of course, you got the right idea!
You will love it. I have some pilot friends who picked up kiting really well. Have a great time!

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 am

rmbkite wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm
I am looking for a school very near an airport on the West Coast or Texas.
You might consider flying into San Francisco and taking lessons locally. There are several good lesson centers that are very close or reasonably close to the SF airport
(Boardsports Cali, WindOverWater, KitetheBay, 415Kite, KGBSwag, Live2Kite). Some are beach lessons and some are boat assisted within the Bay, so you may want to check.
Oakland airport is also close to some of these schools/shops. Just make sure to have a 4/3 wetsuit or rent one when there. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”