Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Manufacturing - free feedback

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Kite Manufacturing - free feedback

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

I've self launched multiple models plenty of times, and no problems whatsoever? I don't see what difference it would make with 3-step that's in the same place. The outer stitching (no load bearing) on the bridle attachment points however can damage from selflaunching after a while.
Move your fingers over the regular zigzag on the LE seam and then triple point zigzag over the dacron somewhere and tell me. I fixed a brand new kite just after a couple of self launches.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:54 pm

- Leading edge that fits/lays on a flat plane ends up in crappy relaunch ability.
- Cheap pulleys (LF 2012-2013) get filled with sand, get stuck, get cut by bridle and then cut the bridle
- zero strut kites stick to water just a bit too muck
- Naish squid strut inflation looks ok but is overcomplicated and repair shops turn away from dealing with them
- white canopy gets extra tints pretty fast
- custom inflate valves are just nuts
- custom pump hoses are nuts

Life is too short for proprietary solutions
Last edited by grigorib on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Faxie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

I've self launched multiple models plenty of times, and no problems whatsoever? I don't see what difference it would make with 3-step that's in the same place. The outer stitching (no load bearing) on the bridle attachment points however can damage from selflaunching after a while.
Move your fingers over the regular zigzag on the LE seam and then triple point zigzag over the dacron somewhere and tell me. I fixed a brand new kite just after a couple of self launches.
First time I hear from it since 2011 (though there was someone with similar damage, but not on that location). I have however seen a couple of 3-step damages on other kites when I was at the local repairman, when launching someone and from a friend, go figure. Come back when you have repaired multiple kites from different models with the same damage, only then can you speak of a manufacturing mistake.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm
Come back when you have repaired multiple kites from different models with the same damage, only then can you speak of a manufacturing mistake.
OK, I am back. Did you move your fingers over that seam?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:56 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:00 pm
Faxie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm
Come back when you have repaired multiple kites from different models with the same damage, only then can you speak of a manufacturing mistake.
OK, I am back. Did you move your fingers over that seam?
It's a tiny bit looser ofcourse, otherwise no real difference. Don't you think they'd stop using it if it was that much of a manufacturing error? Has been that way since the beginning.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:56 pm
It's a tiny bit looser ofcourse, otherwise no real difference.
Yes, because with simple zigzag you can't set high thread tension without gathering the stock. Triple point is doing high tension tacking which buries the thread into the material. Ideally you want to use some kind of tape that has more volume which would bury the thread completely, maybe Kevlar cloth. If you brake the thread in triple zigzag seam, it still holds. Simple zigzag is like termites holding hands and you ask them to put on hand's cream before they do.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 am

Another Ozone bites the dust:
ENDURO-STRUTS.jpg
All struts are twisted to the point where the canopy is affected and kite is actually pulling to one side when flown.

As well as - when holding the kite by hand at the center of the leading edge - it always falls to one side. If you want to walk with it - got to hold it somewhere around 2nd segment of the bridle (from the center). Basically the whole kite is twisted.

Also, had a leak in the main bladder - and it was easier and faster to take the whole thing out. One thing I've noticed - bladder ends don't fold over anymore like they used to be, so it's just a single layer and they are in really bad shape after a mere season of ~ once per 2 weeks riding.

Having owned some early Ozones like Instincts - to say that I'm disappointed by what Ozone's quality has came down to - would be an understatement.

Return to “Kitesurfing”