Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Manufacturing - free feedback

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Kite Manufacturing - free feedback

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 pm

I will be posting here things that don't work in the long term:
Last edited by marlboroughman on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite Manufacturing - free feedback

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:54 pm

20180417_103848.jpg
Webbing and dacron don't mix. Webbing shrinks overtime causing damage. Don't use webbing on leading edge and struts. It might look like making it bomb proof but it does the opposite. This is only 2015 kite and struts are failing.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm

I haven't saved the pictures but I can tell you that narrow diameter struts are failing in the areas where they bend from sitting on the beach. Don't make them so thin or put sections there of kevlar aramid cloth or similar.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Again, should have saved the picture and will do in the future but triple zigzag is for flat surfaces only. Don't use it on oval shapes like struts. Triple point zigzag seams are failing on struts because the load is spread unevenly and these seams don't like bending.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:32 pm

If you have a kite build question send me a PM before you produce a batch of a 100 faulty kites.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Interesting. More please!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Canopy has to be sewn to the leading edge using triple point not regular zigzag, come on people. :roll:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Oh I got one! Graphics should not be printed to the fabric especially on the leading edge using a process called hot split plastisol. It is notorious for pealing off over time.
That kite my profile picture looked great at first but the graphic detail was half pealed off in two years.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Oh I got one! Graphics should not be printed to the fabric especially on the leading edge using a process called hot split plastisol. It is notorious for pealing off over time.
That kite my profile picture looked great at first but the graphic detail was half pealed off in two years.
That is the opposite of what I have had happen. Best Kahoona's have this coating on the tips (black over ripstop canopy) and that fabric holds up better than the non coated ripstop. If it tears on a tomahawk, it rips right up against the coated area, but not through it. And I have seen deterioration on other brands, just not on Best. So maybe Best had a good formula for that stuff.

I actually would love to have a kite completely coated in the stuff that does not fall off.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 pm

That is the opposite of what I have had happen. Best Kahoona's have this coating on the tips (black over ripstop canopy) and that fabric holds up better than the non coated ripstop. If it tears on a tomahawk, it rips right up against the coated area, but not through it. And I have seen deterioration on other brands, just not on Best. So maybe Best had a good formula for that stuff.

I actually would love to have a kite completely coated in the stuff that does not fall off.
Maybe in an application where it coats a larger area, in the application I was referring to it was printed in a honey comb pattern... and I also noticed mostly yellows and oranges peeled, the white never peeled.

Return to “Kitesurfing”