Forum for kitesurfers
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: biggest regret purchase

Postby airsurfer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Garmin GPS watch what a piece of crap not really waterproof at least for kiting. My phone is a better GPS not to mention camera

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.
Has thanked: 0

Postby harppa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Naish Alliance.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Gopro remote. I used it maybe a total of 3 hrs but it sat for a year. Then next time I tried to use it it wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on - nothing. Totally tits-up. Customer service guy tried to help but in the end its dead. Since it sat for a year - no warranty left. Wasn't salty, sandy, cracked or abused - just a really poor product

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 pm

new kite for Ocean Rodeo Razor. Problem. On my 1st day trying the kite I was thinking wow "nice kite" then I crashed the kite on the water. One of the strut's valve crack. Years later I spoke to a representative of Ocean Rodeo. He said "they had problems with the valve a few years back' I WILL NEVER purchase an Ocean Rodeo kite because they don't care. Have a kite for sales and not recalling the kites or make public about this issue is a crime. They LOST a customer for LIFE.
I wrote to Ocean Rodeo and the Kite shop but they did not say anything about the problem with the valves. They offer to sell me a valve.

kitekook77
Rare Poster
Gear: 2023 North Orbits

Postby kitekook77 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:10 am

Woo 2.0 (aka butt plug).....only watertight if you stick it in your bunghole.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:16 am

Another regret I had was when my 2010 Cab xbow 16m blew an outboard strut bladder after 5 sessions (around 3 mos.). Kite was never crashed. Strut bladder was evidently twisted. Local shop that sold me the kite did not do any thing except tell me that Cabrinha in SE Florida would sell me a complete bladder set; they would not replace the strut bladder, nor sell me the strut bladder. I had to buy a complete set. So I told them to forget it. I found Bladderman in Ormond Beach and he sent me a bladder for less than $25 delivered. Installed the new bladder and has been fine since. Never purchased anything from that shop since.

patelis
Rare Poster

Postby patelis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:10 am

Xensr unit for the worst support of the company as i describe in the link below if someone wants to read
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2399334

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.

Postby surfinsmiley » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Shinn Speedball. What a piece of crap that was! I own LOTS of boards and that one just sucked at everything! Bought it at full retail and ended up giving it away two seasons later... :o

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 am

Surfinsmiley reminded me of my Shinn Capri GT...must have banished it from my thoughts, tho it still lives in my shed. My Shinn Capri GT....bought it for windy, messed up surf, turns ou to be only usable in perfect glassy water and light winds. What was I thinking?

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 pm

Peter Lynn KiteCat. Had wanted one for years. Finally got the chance. Paid £2700 cash. It was okay, kinda fun but never used it on flat water. Waves slow it down and the hulls splash water in your eyes until they sting and googles steam up. The craft can tip up easily if you apply too much power too soon. Its sat in my garden exposed to the elements for more than 5 years. The seat is starting to turn green with moss but other than that its clean.

This one time I dared myself to head far out to sea. I got about 3/4 mile from the beach but then the wind dropped to nothing. It then dawns on me that if you have no forward speed then you can't turn the craft.
Kite falls out of the sky, craft turns side-on to the waves but the worst bit, I drift over the lines. Wind picks up, kite repeatedly tries to launch but lines are caught around the fins. Takes me an hour to drift to shore. The whole time praying the kite does not hot launch. Walk a mile back to the carpark, carrying 100kg KiteCat.

Another time I decide to try flat water in an off-shore wind. Was doing well but wind was very low, so I looped the kite. The power capsizes the craft and now I'm ejected and out of reach. Can't launch the kite as wind is almost non-existent but there is just enough to pull me directly offshore and out to sea. I try swimming to shore but I make no progress and quickly tire. Decide there is no other option but to release and swim back exhausted. Phone coast guard to let them know about the kite. Watch kite drift into shipping lane from car while eating snacks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”