Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boosting only one way

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boosting only one way

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:12 am

Same here, I really only jump decently on port. I learned that side first on flat water at Cape Hatteras, but it is also the side going out at Cape Town on the SEaster, so that has reinforced it. I actually feel unsafe jumping on starboard because my landings are not confident and at 62 I cannot afford to mess up a knee.

BUT, I agree with Tautologies that for safety reasons it is useful to be able tp jump both sides, for example, if you travel somewhere and you have to go through waves on your unfavored side, if they are big and gnarly you need to be able to jump them. For example, I happen to be back in Cape Town and the winter season of NW winds is starting, so I will have to be able to jump on starboard.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:52 am

For me, depends on how the wind and chop lines up, so you might find you jump just as well the other way, with a bit of practice. Some days, I forget which side is my natural side but it doesn't matter because the chop is coming in at the wrong angle...

Some day, I boost in one direction then play with the waves back the other way.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 am

I always jump to one side, mainly because of wind and wave ramps direction match my strong right side.
But once a friend was getting into my path inadvertently so I jumped suddenly to the left (weak side) to avoid the imminent collision.

Back at sore, the "wise" guy approaches me with a shame apologizing smile and says: " Wow, what a jump! I never saw you jump so high!
Since then I know I can do it :-P , but still keep jumping to my prefered side :wink:

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 am

As a rightfoot front jumper I don't have the kickers here in Holland. I am aiming for the 15 m at the moment not being able to use the kickers is a big disadvantage. So after about a year of jumping I am trying to train to jump with the left in front. I had a few days of training in Sal and the hardest part is not the boosting but the landings for me. Any tips and tricks?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Kiting is funny.

Can't think of any other sport that lets you go for as much height as possible with so little consequence. Other sports,,, you have to learn to land AS you learn to jump. Hucking over 10 feet of air on a ski hill, or a bike, or behind a boat holds real consequences compared to plopping into the water under a big floaty kite.

Almost all of us got a taste of height before we could land it..... pretty universal kiter experience and the reason it attracts the older demographic. What other sport would give the average 45 year old access to a big air phase?? Pretty understandable attraction and addiction. Super fun, but also undeniably the main reason for the the tropes of kiting.

Poo stance and mowing the lawn being the two big ones, but boosting in only one direction is another. If it's 100% about the big airs, its 0% about much else.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:31 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm
Kiting is funny.

Can't think of any other sport that lets you go for as much height as possible with so little consequence. Other sports,,, you have to learn to land AS you learn to jump. Hucking over 10 feet of air on a ski hill, or a bike, or behind a boat holds real consequences compared to plopping into the water under a big floaty kite.

Almost all of us got a taste of height before we could land it..... pretty universal kiter experience and the reason it attracts the older demographic. What other sport would give the average 45 year old access to a big air phase?? Pretty understandable attraction and addiction. Super fun, but also undeniably the main reason for the the tropes of kiting.
And that's why I love it! :lol:

tanre
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF
Has thanked: 0

Postby tanre » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:33 pm

What kites are you using? I ask because some kites may have a better tendency to fly with you as you're jumping and dont need to be looped until you start reaching 40ft jumps. Others need to be kept overhead with eights and downloops to land. Sounds like your body position and pop is what you need to practice as well. Start small and keep your shoulders flying in direction of landing. If you can work on downloops, that may help when you pull too hard to get kite back over your head. Maybe also try to start with jumping with kite at 11 and 12 , and not 12, or 1. Good luck.

LostCauseRob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Farnham
Favorite Beaches: Elements EL Gouna Egypt. closer to home Hill head Hampshire UK
Style: freestyle and touring
Gear: twin tip and speed 4s and 5 s
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LostCauseRob » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:29 pm

kiting over 20 years. jump twice as high left foot forward

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:54 pm

I jump much better one way, plus have ended up doing most of my rotations and grabs the same way, but I ride toeside much better the other way, plus for some reason do better darkslides and hand drags that way too. Seems to work out most of the time…

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:43 pm

One way you can ease into weak-side jumps is by starting with small jump transitions. This way you're landing to your strong side. Then after you get jump transitions down, start with small 1 -3 foot jumps and slowly work your way up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”