Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

2 kites quiver: 8m and 12m?

Postby k2thiago » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi everyone.
What your toughts about a quiver of 2 kites, 8 and 12m (specifically Core Xr 5), for freeriding using a bidirectional, on flat to lightly chop waters? The standard around here is 9 and 12, however I'm lighter (+-67kg) than the average kiter here (would say 75kg), and on the 9 I think I would be too overpowered on strong days. So what you think?
Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2 kites quiver: 8m and 12m?

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Terrible. Just kidding, but the gap is too big IMO.
Here is my the, at your normal spot there will be one kite you use more than others. Get that kite. Then fill around it. It is almost impossible to get away with 2 kites... the good thing is that you do not have to get all the kites at once.

I dunno Core. At my spot most core riders look like they also drive a BMW. Heh.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Yeah. Buy something less expensive than Core & get three kites: 12m, 9m, 7m. Simples.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:21 pm

If you were going really simple and wanted a 1 kite quiver, it would probably be a 9m or 10m. It's the in-between size. Looking at my sailing log stats, it's the most used kite (varies by location of course).

But then if it's light, you get to watch your buddies having fun if you don't have a 12m. Worse, when it's cranking and really good, you have the really difficult question: has it crossed the line into dangerous on my too-big kite? So a multiple kite quiver is ideal, if you can afford it.

Something to take the sting off: if you buy the 3rd kite, it reduces wear and tear on each of the other two kites by 50%, so they can last a lot longer between replacement. Economics 101 says buying more kites actually SAVES you money (there's the argument for your spouse, hehe)

I have a 2m gap between sizes, which makes for a lot of kites. I think a 3m gap is ideal.....Ocean Rodeo has had the standard sizes 7m, 9.5m, 12m, which seems a pretty good coverage of the normal wind range. Then you can get into 5m and 17m for the abnormal wind ranges too. ;-)

One final consideration: using foils, you are usually on a kite size smaller. A lot of foilers don't use 12m kites any more, so that can potentially pay for a foil.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm

great you are pushing your limits. You will be overpower and underpower on some session but you will improve your kiting. let us know how did it go. The people I know who has two kites they also, have several boards to assist.
cheers

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:02 pm

I would not like to have that big a gap, but it is do-able. If your interest in a two kite quiter is to save money, I’ll second the advice to get three kites from a cheaper brand. If you have an unusual situation where you really need to save space (live on a sailboat, etc). I guess it can work, but I’d rather have either 8/11 or 9/12.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:22 pm

The 8 & 12m will be perfect - the XR5 has a big useable windrange. What I did was use a 58cm custom bar, with a longer throw, this will make them turn slightly quicker on 25m long lines while maintaining the power stroke.

If using the standard core bar - it should have line extensions on it allready. Take the extensions off on high wind days to Decrease ithe 8m power..
Fly it on the fast turn setting and lightest bar pressure !

I'm 75kg, use a 2018 136x41 Crazyfly Raptor LTD board and have demoed the 8.9.10m bought the 9.
I currently use that when others are on 12m kites though I do have good light wind skills and Megaloop it on strong days..

Have Fun :cool2:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm

My (limited) time on the XR5 suggests it feels a size larger than normal. Comparing the wind charts of the XR5 to a Rebel suggests you need to size up on the rebel in comparison too.

Therefore OP might do well with a 8/11 quiver (especially at 67kg) unless they really need that 10knots low end for local conditions?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 pm
Therefore OP might do well with a 8/11 quiver (especially at 67kg) unless they really need that 10knots low end for local conditions?
At 67kg I would agree with that.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Two kite quiver is fine with multiple boards. I used a 8/11 quiver with three boards for a while. It was a good fit except on the most extreme days (super light wind or nuking). I wouldn't want a two kite quiver with only one board, and I'd prefer the 8/11 combination to 8/12 at your weight, but go with whatever feels right to you. No one has more information about that than you. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”