Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Dash/Pivot, Ozone Enduro
Nobile T5/NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

Madagascar - late October

Postby czezz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi everyone,
Im planning to go kiting to Madagascar - second half of the October.
Does anyone know how consistent is the wind there at that time? Is it comparable to Brazil/Ceara at the same time?

Any advices:
- where to stay?
- where are the best spots?
- rent a car or use public transport/taxi?

Cheers,
czezz

czezz
Medium Poster
Nobile T5/NHP

Re: Madagascar - late October

Postby czezz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am

Hi,
I have found this link viewtopic.php?t=2369202 and can find there quite useful information.
I was just wondering if anyone has been there recently and has some more up to date advices?

Cheers

Rnck
Rare Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Style: Wave
Gear: appletree klokhouse 5.3
Naish slash 6 & 8
RRD religion 4
Has thanked: 0

Postby Rnck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm

I’ve been traveling in Madagascar in 2015
My plan was to go kitesurfing in North east Madagascar.
Please keep in mind that traveling is not easy on this beautiful and huge Island. The roads are bad and it cost several data to travel long distaces by car. Public transport is cheap but very crowded. Best way to travel is by plane alltrough locals call air Madagascar: air maybe. I never made it to the northeast because my plane did not fly due to the fact the light on the airport where not working.
Non the less I think Madagascar is an amazing place to visit.

Rnck
Rare Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Style: Wave
Gear: appletree klokhouse 5.3
Naish slash 6 & 8
RRD religion 4
Has thanked: 0

Postby Rnck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm

I’ve been traveling in Madagascar in 2015
My plan was to go kitesurfing in North east Madagascar.
Please keep in mind that traveling is not easy on this beautiful and huge Island. The roads are bad and it cost several data to travel long distaces by car. Public transport is cheap but very crowded. Best way to travel is by plane alltrough locals call air Madagascar: air maybe. I never made it to the northeast because my plane did not fly due to the fact the light on the airport where not working.
Non the less I think Madagascar is an amazing place to visit.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 pm

I’ve been to Mad last Summer, in August.

- Went to Babaomby first, which is quite a special out of this world spot. It really is something special.
- then spent a week in Mantasaly, which is a nice spot, nice resort, but zero “magic”.

Wind in August was close to extreme, constantly between 30/40s , I’ve used my 9 only a few days. It was too much, and I would have never thought I could ever say it.

It is definitely not Ceara: Madagascar -north especially- is a truly under developed country, simply traveling by road is nothing less than a nightmare. Don’t go there thinking you will find the same sleeping/dining/drinking options you can find in Brazil. It is poor, it is really poor, and not so much in a “nice” way imho.

Kite spots were good, with Mantasaly probably being the most insane flat water spot I’ve ever been (but it is tide dependant and it can get very shallow).
In the bay next to Mantasaly, which is the most popular spot, there are good small waves and flat water.

Overall I liked it but I would not go back there...it was just too much “extreme”. Again, it is not Brazil by any means.
Don’t know about the wind in October.

czezz
Medium Poster
Nobile T5/NHP

Postby czezz » Thu May 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi guys, thanks for replies.

@Rnck:
- so, are you saying that u got stuck at the airport for days/weeks and the flight to north never happened? They didnt provide any alternative?

@Vannibombonato
- what do you mean by: "it is not Brazil by any means". On the beginning of your post you are writing it was windy.
- 30/40s = you mean knots, right?

Return to “Kitesurfing”